Donator
Liked Posts:

Bear Pride

Bears Gonna Shock the World!
Liked Posts:
The guy I really want to see is Bryant.

Zvbxrpl

Liked Posts:
Ehhhhh.......the thing I really think that's always been blown out of proportion has been Lou Brock, an immense underachiever as a cub. Then went to be a hall of famer as a cardinal.

At the time, after Brock constantly struggled to be decent. He's not the first, wont be the last guy who didn't figure it out with his first team

I definitely disagree with 'best trade.' Not to knock Sandberg, but Ivan Dejesus wasn't a scrub when dealt........

I'm no fan of revisionist history. At the time, Larry Bowa was old and Dejesus was worth the investment for Sandberg, a then prospect who in 13 games at the MLB level looked like garbage.

Matt Bruback and Bobby Hill for Aramis Ramirez and Kenny Lofton takes it for me. Or Hee Seop Choi for Derrek Lee.......Lee lost the triple crown due to Pujols in 05 beating him by 2 home runs, was it?

Wasn't Frank Chance the all time leader in stolen bases before Rickey Henderson broke it?

Liked Posts:
http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/eye-on-baseball/24956879/franchise-bestsworsts-chicago-cubs

This is an article about the good and the bad of the Cubs. We know it was a lot more bad then good but the videos they have in it get me pumped up. It feels different this year. Not, oh we are going to shock the world. More like, we are coming and this is just the beginning. Im ready to see these kids hit so bad! Lets Go!

People have every right to be excited but it might be smart to temper expectations. They could be good this year but they most likely won't be.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
I've never really liked the way fans talk about the Brock trade. They see the hindsight and get the impression that giving up a young player could bite you in the ass and to this day if you mention trading a prospect you'll get his name brought up. The thing is, I'm not even sure Brock has that career with the cubs. He basically improved his k rate 5% upon being traded and that was after almost 1200 PAs with the cubs. That tells me St. Louis saw something the cubs didn't and it happened basically immediately after being traded. Additionally, the Cardinals seemed to allow him to run more. If you contrast his age 23 1962 season with the cubs with his age 27 1966 you see that he hit .263/.319/.412 vs .285/.320/.429. He did have 120 more PAs but you're talking about a difference of +58 SBs in 1966 for a player who was getting on base basically at the same level. In 1308 PAs with the cubs he had 50 SBs. He had 96 SBs in his first 1161 PAs with the Cards.

And even if he does go on to have that career, if Broglio is the player he was supposed to be I'm thinking the trade is still ok. He was 28 and had 15.3 fWAR prior to the season of the trade. Over a similar age range you're basically talking about someone like James Shields or Jordan Zimmermann. Now by today's standards his 5ish k/9 would be an astronomical red flag but obviously we're looking at things using today's tools. We've seen recently the type of trade it takes to get James Shields or a similar level pitcher.

Obviously the trade didn't work out but conceptually the trade was fine.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
What I take from the trade is don't give up too soon on a prospect.

JosMin

Entirely too much tuna
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
162-0 or I'm burning all my Cubs memorabilia.

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
I'm really looking for 3 things out of this season:

1. I'm curious to see what kind of impact Joe Maddon has on this team, not in terms of wins and losses but how his team is prepared for games, reactions to slumps and general team attitude. A lot has been written about Maddon's approach in Tampa Bay but, let's face it, chicago is a different place. I also think this aspect of the game was Rick Renteria's strength so where will Maddon's improvement come from here? I expect good things but I'm interested in seeing it played out. When you watch enough baseball you can see the teams that have good "mojo" (for lack of a better term) vs. teams with a lack of it. These teams usually either win or come close.

2. Like all of us I want to see the kids and just what they've got to offer. Does Baez start in AAA? How good will Bryant be immediately? Has Soler made the adjustments after slumping a bit at the end of the year? Does Rizzo get better with some more protection in the lineup? How close is Addison Russell, as close as national writers and scouts think he is (June call up) or much later? What kind of Spring Training will he have? All of these things will tell the tale which lead to my next point.

3. I want to see this team still competing in July making them buyers instead of sellers. I think this is key for the future. I don't really care about the playoffs (would be nice) but I want to see them learn to contend for them. I think that's a necessary first step to gettting to a contention window and the affect of playing meaningful games in September for young players cannot be underestimated.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
I'm really looking for 3 things out of this season:

1. I'm curious to see what kind of impact Joe Maddon has on this team, not in terms of wins and losses but how his team is prepared for games, reactions to slumps and general team attitude. A lot has been written about Maddon's approach in Tampa Bay but, let's face it, chicago is a different place. I also think this aspect of the game was Rick Renteria's strength so where will Maddon's improvement come from here? I expect good things but I'm interested in seeing it played out. When you watch enough baseball you can see the teams that have good "mojo" (for lack of a better term) vs. teams with a lack of it. These teams usually either win or come close.

2. Like all of us I want to see the kids and just what they've got to offer. Does Baez start in AAA? How good will Bryant be immediately? Has Soler made the adjustments after slumping a bit at the end of the year? Does Rizzo get better with some more protection in the lineup? How close is Addison Russell, as close as national writers and scouts think he is (June call up) or much later? What kind of Spring Training will he have? All of these things will tell the tale which lead to my next point.

3. I want to see this team still competing in July making them buyers instead of sellers. I think this is key for the future. I don't really care about the playoffs (would be nice) but I want to see them learn to contend for them. I think that's a necessary first step to gettting to a contention window and the affect of playing meaningful games in September for young players cannot be underestimated.

I agree with this. The only change I would make is #1 with Joe. Can he keep what Rick had here as this was pretty much a spot on job by Rick or will Joe cause a drop and just how big of a drop.