Midseason Report

DMelt36

Bolland > You
Liked Posts:
Gonna put together an article in the next 18-24 hours crunching some numbers from the Hawks' first half of the season.

Anybody got some suggestions or requests on things I should look at?

Shantz My Pants

Liked Posts:
Our PK, our deficiencies on the PP, how the Richards signing has effected the team overall, maybe a few highlights on prospects.

I can give you any help you want in regards to the PP deficiencies and why the PK has been strong.

Edit: I coach hockey so I deal with teaching systems all the time. Plus I did a little of this for IHN when I was a writer there.

Sent from my Texas Instrument Calculator

ClydeLee

Liked Posts:
In regards to overall play or even specifically powerplay. I'd be curious to see how some people record scoring chances. We know the hawks have a great many shots but how well people judge that subjective stat is something that this years play has me interested in.

I know the site War-On-Ice.com has them for individual games but to catalog them to actually see how it impacts the season so far is hard.. for me at least, the sites format gives me a swift headache.

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
If possible can you look at how we play against good teams vs. how we play against bad teams? Although I suspect some goalie changes might have some to do with that?

DMelt36

Bolland > You
Liked Posts:
Our PK, our deficiencies on the PP, how the Richards signing has effected the team overall, maybe a few highlights on prospects.

I can give you any help you want in regards to the PP deficiencies and why the PK has been strong.

Edit: I coach hockey so I deal with teaching systems all the time. Plus I did a little of this for IHN when I was a writer there.

I'm not gonna get too crazy with Xs and Os and things like that as I'm not all that good at it, but if you want to share some here or via a PM I can throw them in with the story. Your mention of the special team units would be especially interesting, in my mind.

In regards to overall play or even specifically powerplay. I'd be curious to see how some people record scoring chances. We know the hawks have a great many shots but how well people judge that subjective stat is something that this years play has me interested in.

I know the site War-On-Ice.com has them for individual games but to catalog them to actually see how it impacts the season so far is hard.. for me at least, the sites format gives me a swift headache.

I'll try and dive into that stuff, but my knowledge of hockey's advanced stats is not that great.

If possible can you look at how we play against good teams vs. how we play against bad teams? Although I suspect some goalie changes might have some to do with that?

This I can and will do.

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
Can we get more on this...

[video]http://gfycat.com/AntiqueVioletIndigowingedparrot[/video]

And someone to turn it into a usable gif for me...

DMelt36

Bolland > You
Liked Posts:
Can we get more on this...

[video]http://gfycat.com/AntiqueVioletIndigowingedparrot[/video]

And someone to turn it into a usable gif for me...

If you hover over the picture with your mouse, a box will appear to the right that will say "GIF" on it. Click on that, and it becomes a gif.

AntiqueVioletIndigowingedparrot.gif

See?

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
Well I'll be god damned. I know that's a popular site but I don't ever use it. I think the gif sums up my posting ability.

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
How many passes per Hawks power play?

How many shots per Hawks power play?

How many shots by Sharp from the point on the power play?

How many shots by Sharp from the point on the power play that miss/hit the net?

Y WE SUCK ON POWER PLAY?

BlackHawkPaul

Fartbarf
Donator
Liked Posts:
Breaking down the lines is key. Hossa's slow start, the "second" line, and the decision by Q to start Shaw over Richards. Did Versteeg play an essential role on line 2, or can you plug anyone in with 88/91 and see dividends? Focusing on the PK, and what additions this year can/could result in a long playoff run.
Which team(s) in the Central/West pose the biggest threat to what the Hawks have going. The elephant in the room which is CR's unfortunate death.
Corey's #s, and where he ranks among starters in the NHL. Does Kane have a legitimate shot at the Hart?

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
I know they record players shifts, and average time per shift and such, but do they record who else is on the ice at the same times as the other players? With all the line juggling he does, I'd be interested in knowing any kind of analysis of who really is playing the most together with whom. On defense that's a much simpler question but would be interested to know on offense especially with the injuries.

Shantz My Pants

Liked Posts:
I actually don't have the time this week to do it (would need to find game footage and create pictures and such). Who would I contact here about being a part time Hawks writer? I can send some samples of things I wrote in the past as part of my "resume".

Tater

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I can endorse Trev (for what that's worth). He writes good stuff.

winos5

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Write some fluff on Seab's favorite ______________________.

DMelt36

Bolland > You
Liked Posts:
I actually don't have the time this week to do it (would need to find game footage and create pictures and such). Who would I contact here about being a part time Hawks writer? I can send some samples of things I wrote in the past as part of my "resume".

I'd send a PM to Zack54attack

KingDarude7

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
What changed between the first 20 games or so and these last 20 games or so. Have been a huge difference in how well the team has played.

Rex

Chief Blackcock
Liked Posts:

Y WE SUCK ON POWER PLAY?

How many passes per Hawks power play? 500

How many shots per Hawks power play? 10

How many shots by Sharp from the point on the power play? 10

How many shots by Sharp from the point on the power play that miss/hit the net? 10

LordKOTL

Scratched for Vorobiev
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Portland Timbers
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

Y WE SUCK ON POWER PLAY?
Because it's nearly impossible for Keith to shoot on the powerplay and not hit someone's shin.