Mid-season thoughts

czman

Liked Posts:
The Bulls are 4th in the east at 27-14. Right now they would play the Bucks if the season ended today. I think they need to avoid the Cavaliers in the first round. The Cavs have not played well, but does anyone think Lebron James is going out in the first round? I am not a conspiracy theorist. The Refs are people though and they know what round it is. James is going to get to the line and the Cavs—even though they have not played well—have a very talented team that can live at the line and get players in foul trouble for an entire series.

Derrick Rose: has been very up and down this season. 30% from 3 and 34% in the midrange game is not good. In fact for a point guard it is actually pretty bad. Teams have started going under the screen and daring him to shoot. When he makes the shots the Bulls are in decent shape. He has missed a lot recently. I am not sure the Bulls can beat a quality team in a 7 game series if he is not hitting open jump shots.

Jimmy Butler: Has been up early and down more recently. I said early on that the way he was playing was not sustainable. I do mean that. I don’t think he, or anyone, can play 40 minutes a game, take the beating he takes and get to the line like he has. His shooting has been sliding. 34% from 3 and 41% in the midrange. This is not good; probably a little below average for a starting SG.

I want to elaborate on the unsustainable comment. Maybe he can find away to normalize out and do this for entire season. Maybe he can do it through the playoffs. How long can he keep it up though…… 2 maybe 3 years. After that he is going to be ground into the court. The Bulls need to think about decreasing his role. He is a long term asset and right now, they are burning his candle at both ends.

His defense has not been good this season. The Bulls are actually 5.5 points better on D when he is not on the court per 100 possessions.

Mike Dunleavy: Has proven to be very important. His floor spacing is critical to this team. Right now the Bulls have few players who can space the floor and we see what happens when he misses time.

Joakim Noah: has really fallen off. Am not sure if it is his knee or he may be run into the ground after playing under Thibs for years. Last season the Bulls were a +7.5 per 100 possessions when he was on the floor, this year they are a-5 as opposed to when he is off the floor.

I have to think that is due to injury. I do wonder what he has left though long term and if the Bulls might be better off thinking about moving him and his contract at some point. The Bulls do not have a lot of contracts to move, and his is large, and he still has value. If he can recover and return to form the Bulls will be in great shape.

On offense he is killing the Bulls. I know last year the high post was the best of a serious of bad options for one of the worst offensive teams in the league. Right now he should be standing on the weakside going for offensive boards and only moving above the FT line to do high low passes to the post.

Nikola Mirotic: The most intriguing player on the Bulls. When he is on the court the team is better on both offense and defense. His defense at SF, small smaple siz, has been the best on the team. I think the Bulls should look at this more. Outside of the Cavs and Raptors who has 2 wings that scare you. I think He can defend Pierce. Korver or Carroll??? Giannas does not scare me. I think if the Bulls make it to the Finals there are a lot of bad matchups, but in the East there are really only 2 teams that make Mirotic at SF a problem.

Lastly he can really shoot. 36%from 3. 50% in the midrange game. That is huge. He might be the best shooter on the Bulls right now. More playing time. More time at the SF.

Team:
Gibson has not shot nearly as well this season. Not sure why.
Brooks has been huge. His defense will probably limit his playoff minutes. I know we all joke about the small PG resurrection the Bulls have done, but I don’t think it should be dismissed at how lucky the Bulls have been when it comes to getting great value at a low price.
McDermott: Complete incomplete.
Gasol: has been great. Needs more time in the pick and pop. Needs more jump shots.
Snell: I don’t know even know what to say.

Thibs: I think the Bulls have at best, started to attempt to normalize for Thibs or at worst started to tune him out. They are not playing as hard this season. The Bulls may be just trying to save themselves since Thibs won’t. I think the fact that Tibs does all of the scouting, practices, meetings; while other teams rotate that between the coaches and assistant coaches, has started to dull his message. I also think having only one perspective has made the Bulls slow to react and change.

I want to also say that I question if Thibs is doing right by the team. He ran Deng into the ground. He looks to have ran Noah into the ground. He is artificially building Butler’s value while at the same time hindering Butler’s ability to be productive long term. He may force the Bulls into a 5 year huge deal where Butler will be a shell of himself in the last year or two.

I am really starting to question if the Bulls can win a championship under Thibs. I know there are people who think Thibs can do no wrong. In general NBA coaches like Thibs burn their teams out and people tire of the message.

Thoughts?

Thunderfoot

Liked Posts:
The Bulls are 4th in the east at 27-14. Right now they would play the Bucks if the season ended today. I think they need to avoid the Cavaliers in the first round. The Cavs have not played well, but does anyone think Lebron James is going out in the first round? I am not a conspiracy theorist. The Refs are people though and they know what round it is. James is going to get to the line and the Cavs—even though they have not played well—have a very talented team that can live at the line and get players in foul trouble for an entire series.

Derrick Rose: has been very up and down this season. 30% from 3 and 34% in the midrange game is not good. In fact for a point guard it is actually pretty bad. Teams have started going under the screen and daring him to shoot. When he makes the shots the Bulls are in decent shape. He has missed a lot recently. I am not sure the Bulls can beat a quality team in a 7 game series if he is not hitting open jump shots.

Jimmy Butler: Has been up early and down more recently. I said early on that the way he was playing was not sustainable. I do mean that. I don’t think he, or anyone, can play 40 minutes a game, take the beating he takes and get to the line like he has. His shooting has been sliding. 34% from 3 and 41% in the midrange. This is not good; probably a little below average for a starting SG.

I want to elaborate on the unsustainable comment. Maybe he can find away to normalize out and do this for entire season. Maybe he can do it through the playoffs. How long can he keep it up though…… 2 maybe 3 years. After that he is going to be ground into the court. The Bulls need to think about decreasing his role. He is a long term asset and right now, they are burning his candle at both ends.

His defense has not been good this season. The Bulls are actually 5.5 points better on D when he is not on the court per 100 possessions.

Mike Dunleavy: Has proven to be very important. His floor spacing is critical to this team. Right now the Bulls have few players who can space the floor and we see what happens when he misses time.

Joakim Noah: has really fallen off. Am not sure if it is his knee or he may be run into the ground after playing under Thibs for years. Last season the Bulls were a +7.5 per 100 possessions when he was on the floor, this year they are a-5 as opposed to when he is off the floor.

I have to think that is due to injury. I do wonder what he has left though long term and if the Bulls might be better off thinking about moving him and his contract at some point. The Bulls do not have a lot of contracts to move, and his is large, and he still has value. If he can recover and return to form the Bulls will be in great shape.

On offense he is killing the Bulls. I know last year the high post was the best of a serious of bad options for one of the worst offensive teams in the league. Right now he should be standing on the weakside going for offensive boards and only moving above the FT line to do high low passes to the post.

Nikola Mirotic: The most intriguing player on the Bulls. When he is on the court the team is better on both offense and defense. His defense at SF, small smaple siz, has been the best on the team. I think the Bulls should look at this more. Outside of the Cavs and Raptors who has 2 wings that scare you. I think He can defend Pierce. Korver or Carroll??? Giannas does not scare me. I think if the Bulls make it to the Finals there are a lot of bad matchups, but in the East there are really only 2 teams that make Mirotic at SF a problem.

Lastly he can really shoot. 36%from 3. 50% in the midrange game. That is huge. He might be the best shooter on the Bulls right now. More playing time. More time at the SF.

Team:
Brooks has been huge. His defense will probably limit his playoff minutes. I know we all joke about the small PG resurrection the Bulls have done, but I don’t think it should be dismissed at how lucky the Bulls have been when it comes to getting great value at a low price.
Gasol: has been great. Needs more time in the pick and pop. Needs more jump shots.

Thibs: I think the Bulls have at best, started to attempt to normalize for Thibs or at worst started to tune him out. They are not playing as hard this season. The Bulls may be just trying to save themselves since Thibs won’t. I think the fact that Tibs does all of the scouting, practices, meetings; while other teams rotate that between the coaches and assistant coaches, has started to dull his message. I also think having only one perspective has made the Bulls slow to react and change.

I want to also say that I question if Thibs is doing right by the team. He ran Deng into the ground. He looks to have ran Noah into the ground. He is artificially building Butler’s value while at the same time hindering Butler’s ability to be productive long term. He may force the Bulls into a 5 year huge deal where Butler will be a shell of himself in the last year or two.

I am really starting to question if the Bulls can win a championship under Thibs. I know there are people who think Thibs can do no wrong. In general NBA coaches like Thibs burn their teams out and people tire of the message.

Thoughts?

It's looking to me, that we aren't as good as we hoped we'd be right now. Especially missing Noah and Dunleavy, and not getting what we'd hoped we'd get from Snell and McDermott. I'm even more afraid that this could snowball into a disaster.

knoxville7

I have the stride of a gazelle
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
It's looking to me, that we aren't as good as we hoped we'd be right now. Especially missing Noah and Dunleavy, and not getting what we'd hoped we'd get from Snell and McDermott. I'm even more afraid that this could snowball into a disaster.

calm down people....its way to early. typically the teams peaking at this time of year don't win anything come playoff time. bulls just need to be healthy come playoff time

RoseMVP1

Liked Posts:
Like I mentioned in previous thread, our winning % at this point is right on par with where the heat were for the lebron years. They went to 4 straight finals.

Thunderfoot

Liked Posts:
calm down people....its way to early. typically the teams peaking at this time of year don't win anything come playoff time. bulls just need to be healthy come playoff time

I disagree. It's not too early to panic. I was one who wanted Gasol over Carmelo, but I didn't see him as a starter. I saw him as a back up to Noah and Gibson off the bench. Starting Gasol is killing our defense, because he is so slow footed. Noah at the 4 is screwing up his defense also, which in turn is ruining the whole team defense Thibs wants. This is looking like a disaster to me. Jimmy Butler can't cover everybody.

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
The facts are this: the team hasn't played up to par recently. Injuries play a part in this. Poor play plays a part in this. If it's more one or the other, it's kind of difficult to say for sure. Recall not too long ago where the Bulls were arguably the hottest team in the league. They can get back to that level of play.

Imo Gasol and Noah together is not working because it doesn't maximize their strengths as individual players. Noah hasn't been healthy either, but I think even if he was healthy, the more staggered their minutes are, the better for them. I think Noah running with the second unit instead of Gasol may help Noah get back into a groove as he can be more of the playmaker type that he was last year. I think Thibs has used Gasol because of Noah's health issues, but I think switching that rotation might help Noah out at least.

Jimmy's play of late has naturally brought into question the sustainability of his early season performances. We really have no idea if he'll jump back up to that level of play. In January he's shot just 39% from the field compared to 47% in December. Is it fatigue? Is it bad luck? Who really knows? To me it's really unfair to say one way or the other because we really don't know. I don't think it's out of the question to say he'd average 20 points on 44% shooting the rest of the season, but for all we know he could average 16 on 42%.

As much as people want to downplay Dunleavy's importance on the team (I know OP didn't, but it has been brought up in other threads), the fact of the matter is that he is important. Without him in the lineup Brooks and Mirotic are the only real 3 point threats that are in any way consistent...and even then they are not on Dunleavy's level. In a perfect world to me, this stretch would have been the perfect learning time for McDermott since he could get tons of minutes and get to have some comfort in playing the game. It worked for Mirotic when Taj was out. Unfortunately, he injured himself first and he may never get that chance to carve a consistent role in the rotation like Mirotic did.

At the end of the day, this team imo is still a contender the East and one of the teams with the highest chance of making it out. All this when they have never truly been fully healthy and while appearing to have lackluster play. If the team is "coasting" through the regular season and turns it on in the playoffs and shocks everyone that way, good on them. I am not going to be jumping off any cliffs based on 8 or 9 January games though.

ChiSoxCity

Liked Posts:
Excellent anslysis by the OP of this thread. This team has some major problems, but many Bulls fans choose to hide their head in the sand because they don't like acknowledging that the Bulls (gasp) are not good enough to win a championship. It will take most people here another 2 years before they finally come to the same conclusions that you have yesterday. The core of this team, which includes Deng, should have been dealt long ago. Now that Noah's contract is huge, and his health continues to deteriorate, we're pretty much stuck with him. Same deal with Rose right now.

Thibs should be fired unequivocably if the Bulls don't get to the conference finals (which they won't). Time to move on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ChiSoxCity

Liked Posts:
The facts are this: the team hasn't played up to par recently. Injuries play a part in this. Poor play plays a part in this. If it's more one or the other, it's kind of difficult to say for sure. Recall not too long ago where the Bulls were arguably the hottest team in the league. They can get back to that level of play.

Imo Gasol and Noah together is not working because it doesn't maximize their strengths as individual players. Noah hasn't been healthy either, but I think even if he was healthy, the more staggered their minutes are, the better for them. I think Noah running with the second unit instead of Gasol may help Noah get back into a groove as he can be more of the playmaker type that he was last year. I think Thibs has used Gasol because of Noah's health issues, but I think switching that rotation might help Noah out at least.

Jimmy's play of late has naturally brought into question the sustainability of his early season performances. We really have no idea if he'll jump back up to that level of play. In January he's shot just 39% from the field compared to 47% in December. Is it fatigue? Is it bad luck? Who really knows? To me it's really unfair to say one way or the other because we really don't know. I don't think it's out of the question to say he'd average 20 points on 44% shooting the rest of the season, but for all we know he could average 16 on 42%.

As much as people want to downplay Dunleavy's importance on the team (I know OP didn't, but it has been brought up in other threads), the fact of the matter is that he is important. Without him in the lineup Brooks and Mirotic are the only real 3 point threats that are in any way consistent...and even then they are not on Dunleavy's level. In a perfect world to me, this stretch would have been the perfect learning time for McDermott since he could get tons of minutes and get to have some comfort in playing the game. It worked for Mirotic when Taj was out. Unfortunately, he injured himself first and he may never get that chance to carve a consistent role in the rotation like Mirotic did.

At the end of the day, this team imo is still a contender the East and one of the teams with the highest chance of making it out. All this when they have never truly been fully healthy and while appearing to have lackluster play. If the team is "coasting" through the regular season and turns it on in the playoffs and shocks everyone that way, good on them. I am not going to be jumping off any cliffs based on 8 or 9 January games though.

How are they the favorite in the east after playing so poorly against Atlanta and Washington? Atlanta is flat out a better team than the Bulls, and Washington is a matchup nightmare. Either one of these teams would make short work of the Bulls in a playoff series. I'm not confident they match up well with the Cavs either.

Axl Rose

and I knew the silence of the world
Liked Posts:
this team has shown to be flawed, not just in the last stretch of games, but pretty much all year. The same flaws we have now have been with us since the 2nd game of the season but we aren't overcoming them like we did early on

sure we have got a few good wins, but on the flipside we have got allot of really bad losses and quite frankly what i would call "bad wins" where we played horribly but managed to skim by

this team has got to turn the corner if they are contenders...because right now they are a 1st/2nd round team

Probie2429

Liked Posts:
12-10 at home this year. That's tells me there are some issues with this team. I think Rose is a better player physically, but mentally he is soft and that is what is causing him to be so up and down. Butler is turning into Thib's next victim of being aged past 35 in terms of NBA miles when he is only 25. Noah is a shell of his former self. His contract might be worse than Rose's. Mirotic needs to play at least 25 minutes a game, and why he doesn't is something Thibs needs to answer to.

I sense some tuning out of Thibs by this core. Rebounding and overall defense are way down compared to past seasons.

knoxville7

CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers

hmmm and yet about a week or so ago when i brought up acquiring a defensive wing player to help ease jimmys minutes, you and a few others bashed the idea. and here we are a week later with you finally coming to that very conclusion. don't worry i wont expect an apology, more likely youll try and deny every disagreeing with the idea in the first place lol

Liked Posts:

Team:

Thoughts?

Thoughts?

I think you wasted a lot of time with this rambling speculation.

ChiSoxCity

Liked Posts:
Thoughts?

I think you wasted a lot of time with this rambling speculation.

Because why? He made a lot of points, is an intelligent and well thought out reply too much to ask for?

These are no longer the "baby" Bulls, and Noah's not the DPOY or an MVP candidate. That is the past, these guys are older and the window for a championship run is is extremely limited, if not closed entirely.

knoxville7

CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
Because why? He made a lot of points, is an intelligent and well thought out reply too much to ask for?

These are no longer the "baby" Bulls, and Noah's not the DPOY or an MVP candidate. That is the past, these guys are older and the window for a championship run is is extremely limited, if not closed entirely.

well heres the teams that are older than the Bulls by average age on the team....San Antonio, Clippers, Cavs, Mavs, and Wizards. im okay with being in the same company as those teams

ChiSoxCity

Liked Posts:
well heres the teams that are older than the Bulls by average age on the team....San Antonio, Clippers, Cavs, Mavs, and Wizards. im okay with being in the same company as those teams

Those teams are healthier and don't have Thibs running them into the ground. They're deeper with talent than the Bulls too. As a Bulls fan, I'm more concerned about ATL and DC. They are better and healthier than the Bulls. I guess if you're not actually watching the games like 90% of the people who regularly post on this board, it's easy to ignore the current state of the team.

knoxville7

CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
Those teams are healthier and don't have Thibs running them into the ground. They're deeper with talent than the Bulls too. As a Bulls fan, I'm more concerned about ATL and DC. They are better and healthier than the Bulls. I guess if you're not actually watching the games like 90% of the people who regularly post on this board, it's easy to ignore the current state of the team.

well ill start by saying i buy the NBA package every year just so i CAN watch approx. 90% of the games. next, not all of those teams have been healthy all year(san Antonio, cavs). depth wise the bulls have more depth than the clippers, cavs, mavs, and wizards even. wizards might be a better team still, but the bulls have 10 guys that they play(some of them are hurt at the moment obviously), but that depth is why they can still win games while missing 3 guys. i agree about being concerned about Atl and DC, but im pretty sure nobody is arguing that.

ChiSoxCity

Liked Posts:
well ill start by saying i buy the NBA package every year just so i CAN watch approx. 90% of the games. next, not all of those teams have been healthy all year(san Antonio, cavs). depth wise the bulls have more depth than the clippers, cavs, mavs, and wizards even. wizards might be a better team still, but the bulls have 10 guys that they play(some of them are hurt at the moment obviously), but that depth is why they can still win games while missing 3 guys. i agree about being concerned about Atl and DC, but im pretty sure nobody is arguing that.

Ok then, if you watch 90% of the games, you know what I'm talking about. Of the guys that are hurt, Noah is the only on that matters. The nature of his injuries aren't condusive to a long and wildly successful NBA career, no matter what he does. Bad feet, ankles and knees robs your mobility, which makes you a liability on the court. He's not getting any younger, and makes a ton of money. That creates many problems for the Bulls going forward. Pau was not brought here to play defense, and Taj is a wiry PF.

That hole in our interior defense leaves us vulnerable to every team in the NBA. This losing streak, and the recent poor play are manifestations of this problem with the roster. You obviously don't disagree with what I'm saying, but you seem to think nothing can or will be done about it in regards to next season.

czman

Liked Posts:
@ Cone, not going to do the giant quote for obvious reasons.

I am not sure Noah and Gasol can't play together. THey have been using Noah on the outside to set the screen to often. I think Noah needs to subjective his game and go back to the way he used to play. Stay around the basket, get O rebounds, garbage buckets. Gasol should be on the perimeter more. I think the scheme that Thibs is running is highly flawed.

I don't think the Bulls have a high change of making out of the East without a wing move. I am not sure if that move is Mirotic, or someone on a different team. If Dunleavy is critical to winning regular season games the Bulls are going to be in trouble in the playoffs. The Bulls need another wing that can shoot. If they don't find one good teams will force the Bulls into jumpshoots and the Bulls just won't hit enough.

The Bulls are 19th in FG%. They were 20th for a bit. In the last 5 years, as far as I went back, no team was that low and even made it to the finals. In the playoffs you have to make shoots. The refs are not going to bail you out with whistles late in the game and put you on the line.

The Bulls defense has not been nearly as good in the past.

I think only time will tell on Butler, but last I checked he is human. Thibs seems like a person who does not care about the limits of humans.

RoseMVP1

Liked Posts:

You don't think the Bulls are championship caliber because we have lost to those teams multiple times this year and think the window is basically closed...correct me if I'm wrong.

That being said, I want your thoughts on 2010-11. We beat Miami 4-0 in the regular season then blew them out game 1 in the ECF. We still got our asses handed to us.

knoxville7

CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
Ok then, if you watch 90% of the games, you know what I'm talking about. Of the guys that are hurt, Noah is the only on that matters. The nature of his injuries aren't condusive to a long and wildly successful NBA career, no matter what he does. Bad feet, ankles and knees robs your mobility, which makes you a liability on the court. He's not getting any younger, and makes a ton of money. That creates many problems for the Bulls going forward. Pau was not brought here to play defense, and Taj is a wiry PF.

That hole in our interior defense leaves us vulnerable to every team in the NBA. This losing streak, and the recent poor play are manifestations of this problem with the roster. You obviously don't disagree with what I'm saying, but you seem to think nothing can or will be done about it in regards to next season.

i disagree, i think all 3 injuries matter for various reasons. noahs matters for the obvious reasons, Dunleavy matters for his outside shooting which helps space the floor for guys like pau to work in the post. McDermott could also help with spacing the floor if he finds his shot again, and that's why his injury matters...its stunting whatever development he has in him.