Scherzer/Zimmerman

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
Castro is a good hitter at a premium position. His D is not as good as some, but better than he gets credit for.

They were discussing Castro and shortstops on MLB the other day. (Russo, the New Yorker) They had a list of the Top 10 SS selcteby some publication, and the host was questioning why Castro wasn't there, and essentially said he would choose him over just about anyone else on the list after Tulo, and the co-host agreed except on Reyes of all people.

Russo was singling them out by name, and asking the co-host "Would you really take "X" over Castro?" in a way that indicated that not only would he select Castro, but found it inconceivable someone might not. Right down (or up) to Peralta, who for some reason is rated high. Average D, average bat. Big salary. But plays for Cards, so highly rated.

Now I don't put Russo's opinion above any other pundit, but was pointing out that clearly there are people not in Chicago or tied to the club that value Castro.

I know a lot of it has to do with when you get called up, but the kid has 850 hits at age 24. he had an OPS of .777 at the SS position. He is valuable!
And clearly there are others that have him less than a 'B' if you call each 5 a letter grade with the bottom five getting an 'I'

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
I appreciate all of that. No one is going to confuse at this point of Castro being a hard worker. You totally undervalue the weakness of the position right now. Castro is good. And I think if someone took the time to compare AS SS it would pan out as good. He's a Solid B guy and there is nothing wrong with that.

Solid b that will have a thousand hits by 25? Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
Show me experts and not message board heros

Have you not read this thread just a moment ago a publication was mentioned by some co-hosts who disagreed with it.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
If Tulo does not get hurt, Castro doesn't make it.

Finishing behind Tulo is hardly an indictment of a player's ability.

And, frankly, when you factor in that Tulo always DOES get hurt, Castro's value is even closer.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Have you not read this thread just a moment ago a publication was mentioned by some co-hosts who disagreed with it.

My point was exactly that. Somebody didn't have him top 10, another guy was arguing that was not only incorrect, but he could be as high as #2. He is every bit as valuable as johnny Peralta, who is #2 in WAR among SS's. Peralta is not much better (if at all) defensively than Castro.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
If Tulo does not get hurt, Castro doesn't make it.

What? Castro was the only Cubs selection that year. Has nothing to do with tulo. He wasn't an injury replacement.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:

He was top 5 in all offensive categories last year. Lol anyone that doesn't put him top 10 is just an idiot

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
Finishing behind Tulo is hardly an indictment of a player's ability.

And, frankly, when you factor in that Tulo always DOES get hurt, Castro's value is even closer.

True. But if you look at first half stats and using the flawed metric of fwar, Castro was not an AS when he made it in 2012. He was fifth at the time and would have been 6th if Tulo was healthy. It's not a time of great SS in the game at that point. It is turning around. I'll come around if Castro makes it legit in 2015.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
What? Castro was the only Cubs selection that year. Has nothing to do with tulo. He wasn't an injury replacement.

No he wasn't. LaHair

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
True. But if you look at first half stats and using the flawed metric of fwar, Castro was not an AS when he made it in 2012. He was fifth at the time and would have been 6th if Tulo was healthy. It's not a time of great SS in the game at that point. It is turning around. I'll come around if Castro makes it legit in 2015.

What? He was voted in by players twice. He was the Cubs selection in 2012. Stop making my head hurt with your ridiculousness

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
No he wasn't. LaHair
Sorry, lag air was voted in by players but Castro was never an injury replacement. I just looked up who were the injury replacements

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
You keep talking about the folks you know, talk to, etc....What do you do to have such contacts?
I'm an instructor/paid coach. I do clinics with some from time to time and have developed relationships over the years with players/coaches/scouts, including several AS and a batting champion. Great people and willing to answer questions.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
He was top 5 in all offensive categories last year. Lol anyone that doesn't put him top 10 is just an idiot

Hits - 6
Runs - 14
2b - 6
3b - 15
HR - 5
RBI - 7
SB - 15
BB - 13
BA - 1
OB - 2
SLG - 3

That didn't take long to prove you wrong again.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
I'm an instructor/paid coach. I do clinics with some from time to time and have developed relationships over the years with players/coaches/scouts, including several AS and a batting champion. Great people and willing to answer questions.

Very cool.

I get direct contact with the players when they come to my shop for signings.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Hits - 6
Runs - 14
2b - 6
3b - 15
HR - 5
RBI - 7
SB - 15
BB - 13
BA - 1
OB - 2
SLG - 3

Lol, are you serious? Did you just pull the random ones and not the ones that count. So, 1st in ba, 2 ob, 3 slg. What about his ops, his ops +, wrc+, woba. Lol lol best post of your life

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
Lol, are you serious? Did you just pull the random ones and not the ones that count. So, 1st in ba, 2 ob, 3 slg. What about his ops, his ops +, wrc+, woba. Lol lol best post of your life

Maybe you shouldn't be a mod if you can;t admit when you are wrong. You said every category. Heck, it's not even half.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Hits - 6
Runs - 14
2b - 6
3b - 15
HR - 5
RBI - 7
SB - 15
BB - 13
BA - 1
OB - 2
SLG - 3

Well, it hardly proves him wrong. Top 5 in BA, OBP, SLG and OPS.

All other stats you listed are accumulative type stats, and Castro missed a month! Where was he when he went out? Clearly Top 5 in Hits, RBI, HR of course, 2B.

So when someone says "all" offensive stats, yes, they are wrong when the guy was not Top 5 in walks or SB.