I have the stride of a gazelle
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
No way can Coghlan play CF. He had trouble judging balls in LF. He's not good defensively.

maybe soler can play some CF...certainly has the athleticism

TL1961

Liked Posts:
No. No No.

We just traded for a below average defensive CF and you want to sub in worse guys.

Soler's legs have been an issue, and he doesn't have the body to be a CF. Leave him in RF. Leave Coghlan in LF (some days). Don't make a bad situation even worse.

knoxville7

CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
No. No No.

We just traded for a below average defensive CF and you want to sub in worse guys.

Soler's legs have been an issue, and he doesn't have the body to be a CF. Leave him in RF. Leave Coghlan in LF (some days). Don't make a bad situation even worse.

im not talking as permanent or anything close to it. im talking about a total of like 5 - 8 games this year, and that is reasonable.

JosMin

Entirely too much tuna
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Very savvy deal for the Cubs -- gave up nothing of long-term value (Straily was a fringe starter, Valbuena miscast as a staring 2B/3B with slightly above average OBP skills) for a year of Fowler. He's a fantastic OBP guy who can really work ABs. Decent on the basepaths, defense is fringe-average. He's an upgrade to the top of the order and helps give the Cubs tons of roster flexibility. Olt can man 3B to stat the year while we wait the three weeks for Bryant to get called up. Could also see the Cubs moving Mendy back in to 2B and shift Baez over to 3B, leaving Coghlan in left and Fowler in CF.

It's not a barn burner trade, certainly, but it definitely answers the question of why Valbuena wasn't at Cubs Convention this weekend :lol:

Overall, it's an upgrade and fans need to understand that. Valbuena's absence is filled by LaStella. Straily had a slim chance to start and would've been relegated to a spot-starter/long reliever. That position won't be difficult to fill, the Cubs have plenty of pitching options at the present time. I'm just hoping this can setup another larger deal for a frontline starter. It's been known that the Nats will be shopping Strasburg and/or Zimmerman in order to land a C/SS or other long-term pitching options.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
He is a pretty average player. Hits singles and walks. Doesnt steal a lot of bags and seems to be losing speed. He fits a need, but is a complete complimentary player over anything else.

Think you're underselling him a tad. He was 7th last season in wRC+ for CF behind McCutchen, Trout, Brandley, Puig, Kemp and Carlos Gomez. That put him higher than Adam Jones and Ellsbury who are obviously star level players. Now, his skill set doesn't exactly pack the box score but he's pretty much the ideal lead off hitter. He finished the past season 15th in on base. He's also got a career .366 OBP.

The real question is how is his defense. Some seasons he's been slightly below average in CF. Other seasons like last year he was pretty bad there. I think playing in wrigley half his games will help as it's not that huge an OF.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Think you're underselling him a tad. He was 7th last season in wRC+ for CF behind McCutchen, Trout, Brandley, Puig, Kemp and Carlos Gomez. That put him higher than Adam Jones and Ellsbury who are obviously star level players. Now, his skill set doesn't exactly pack the box score but he's pretty much the ideal lead off hitter. He finished the past season 15th in on base. He's also got a career .366 OBP.

The real question is how is his defense. Some seasons he's been slightly below average in CF. Other seasons like last year he was pretty bad there. I think playing in wrigley half his games will help as it's not that huge an OF.

So, I was correct when I said he is a pretty average player that gets on base.

knoxville7

CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers

yep pretty much. hes an average player that excels in an area that the cubs overall struggle in. I think that's why people are excited about the acquisition. he will help them

beckdawg

Liked Posts:

I have no problem with that assessment just think you're overlooking how good his on base is. He's basically on a similar level to what Rizzo did the past year. Obviously you'd prefer to have a bit more pop. Given what the cubs need however, that OBP out of the leadoff spot he has a lot of value to the cubs.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
They were discussing on MLB Network and said he won't steal much, but he ranks high in taking the extra base.

A guy who gets on and takes the extra base would be good. That was something I liked immediately about Alcantara. He was aggressive on the bases and took the extra base, while all the pedestrians on the team would play station to station. Any chance Fowler could teach Castro what "the extra base" is.?

FrankieLyrical

South Side Chicagoan
Liked Posts:
He is a pretty average player. Hits singles and walks. Doesnt steal a lot of bags and seems to be losing speed. He fits a need, but is a complete complimentary player over anything else.

So we're breaking the curse?

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I'm surprised that they did not trade Wood or Castillo here.

I'm thinking that they are not done tweeking the line up. OBA was a major concern and Fowler just fixed that problem this year.

Almora will be close after Fowler hits F/A so I'm not concerned long term.

D wise lesser concern here. Alcantara can cover it late inning.

JosMin

Entirely too much tuna
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:

I'm thinking that they are not done tweeking the line up. OBA was a major concern and Fowler just fixed that problem this year.

Catcher isn't a need for Houston -- they have Hank Conger and Jason Castro, among others. I'm assuming they liked that Straily had more control than Wood and would be cheaper initially.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:

In reference to defense, I think he'll be better in chicago. Keep in mind last season was his first in Houston and they have a rather weird CF with the hill and everything. In Colorado he ranged from barely able to play CF to close to average. Looking at his UZR numbers the big hang up in bad years was range. Incidentally, that was also his issue last year. Houston is 362, 435, 373 feet in left center, dead center and right center respectively. Wrigley is 368, 400, 368. Colorado is 390, 415, 375. So, from a range perspective you would think of Wrigley being less ground to cover.

Forgot another point i was going to make. While it is kind of surprising to see Valbuena gone before Castillo it does leave them with the interesting aspect of having another decent trade piece to add something else. Wood and Castillo for instance should be enough to get you a half decent starter some where.

Liked Posts:
maybe soler can play some CF...certainly has the athleticism

Why do people say crap like this? There's more to playing center field than having athleticism. Sure, there's a requisite amount of athleticism that you need to play CF. But other factors are as important or even more important. Being able to read the ball off the bat is huge. Jim Edmonds was a middle of the road athlete as far as CFs go (maybe even slightly below average especially on the back half of his best years) but he was very strong when it came to judging fly balls. This allowed him to make plays that a lt of much faster CFs couldn't make. He would also make easy plays look hard but that's another topic. But the other part is, you have to want to be a good center fielder. You have to commit to making plays. There's no half pregnant on a lot of plays to be made in CF--you have to be committed to making them. I like how people think you can just plug a novice in. And the other part is, if you do have a CF who is committed to making plays, along with that comes injury risk (especially for a novice...there are angles to take and ways to slide etc). And so the other part is whether you want to risk an injury and the loss of a players offense for him to play quality defense in CF. Or do you just want the novice cadillacing it in CF so he doesn't get hurt and his bat stays in the lineup? I'm sure pitchers will be thrilled with that.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
In reference to defense, I think he'll be better in chicago. Keep in mind last season was his first in Houston and they have a rather weird CF with the hill and everything. In Colorado he ranged from barely able to play CF to close to average. Looking at his UZR numbers the big hang up in bad years was range. Incidentally, that was also his issue last year. Houston is 362, 435, 373 feet in left center, dead center and right center respectively. Wrigley is 368, 400, 368. Colorado is 390, 415, 375. So, from a range perspective you would think of Wrigley being less ground to cover.

Forgot another point i was going to make. While it is kind of surprising to see Valbuena gone before Castillo it does leave them with the interesting aspect of having another decent trade piece to add something else. Wood and Castillo for instance should be enough to get you a half decent starter some where.

Hoyer isd not leading into anything at this point. He said 3B will be a mix of Olt/LaStella and Alcantara. Baez has enough on his plate with hitting right now. But he is a potential in S/T to see some time. IMO this makes sense Baez 3B/Alcantara 2B.

Also he said it had no baring on Bryant's time table.

Now my opinion:

Valbuena was going to make too much in arb to sit on the bench. They had LaStella and Olt as depth at lower cost. Alcantara also becomes bench depth now.

CF: Fowler
LF: Coghlan
SS: Castro
1B: Rizzo
RF: Soler
2B: Baez
C: Montenero
3B: Olt

That is what I would run out there.

knoxville7

CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
Hoyer isd not leading into anything at this point. He said 3B will be a mix of Olt/LaStella and Alcantara. Baez has enough on his plate with hitting right now. But he is a potential in S/T to see some time. IMO this makes sense Baez 3B/Alcantara 2B.

Also he said it had no baring on Bryant's time table.

Now my opinion:

Valbuena was going to make too much in arb to sit on the bench. They had LaStella and Olt as depth at lower cost. Alcantara also becomes bench depth now.

CF: Fowler
LF: Coghlan
SS: Castro
1B: Rizzo
RF: Soler
2B: Baez
C: Montenero
3B: Olt

That is what I would run out there.

I think youll see Montero hit higher than 7th in the lineup

Bear Pride

Bears Gonna Shock the World!
Liked Posts:

So did you think that the Cubs would acquire a leadoff hitter that was great w/o giving up much? :dunno:
He's a switchhitter, has a great on base ave, can steal some bases (27 in '09), but isn't the best defender. What did you expect? Having a guy get on base in front of the new cubbie murderers row is not a bad thing.

As it stands, we can platoon him if necessary. Furthermore, it's most likely a one year rental. What do you want for giving up a pitcher that probably wouldn't make the roster and a 3rd basemen that will be be replaced by the best prospect of the year? :dunno: I say nice move. Also, our new hitting coach had him with the Astro's, and probably know's what he brings to the table.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
So did you think that the Cubs would acquire a leadoff hitter that was great w/o giving up much? :dunno:
He's a switchhitter, has a great on base ave, can steal some bases (27 in '09), but isn't the best defender. What did you expect? Having a guy get on base in front of the new cubbie murderers row is not a bad thing.

As it stands, we can platoon him if necessary. Furthermore, it's most likely a one year rental. What do you want for giving up a pitcher that probably wouldn't make the roster and a 3rd basemen that will be be replaced by the best prospect of the year? :dunno: I say nice move. Also, our new hitting coach had him with the Astro's, and probably know's what he brings to the table.

I didnt say anything like that in your post and Im kind of confused how you got that impression. Did I say average was bad? I said lets not over think him. He bring OBP and fit the Cubs need and doesnt block long term.