Cubs trade for Dexter Fowler

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Alcantara is way faster and has a way better arm then Fowler. What Alcantara doesnt have is experience. Fowler is not fast at all. He is a good base runner but his speed is a tick above average.

Frankly, lot depends on Baez. If he's as bad as I've often made him out to be then you're probably starting Alcantara out at 2B. If he's good enough to stay in the majors then you look to CF/LF for one of if not both Fowler/Alcantara. This shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone who's seen me post but I honestly think Alcantara is going to have a pretty good year offensively but I just really prefer what he gives you out of 2B. Not saying that's the only option just my preference.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Frankly, lot depends on Baez. If he's as bad as I've often made him out to be then you're probably starting Alcantara out at 2B. If he's good enough to stay in the majors then you look to CF/LF for one of if not both Fowler/Alcantara. This shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone who's seen me post but I honestly think Alcantara is going to have a pretty good year offensively but I just really prefer what he gives you out of 2B. Not saying that's the only option just my preference.

I know your opinion but I have read that Baez has more range then Alcantara. Not speed but instincts.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
I know your opinion but I have read that Baez has more range then Alcantara. Not speed but instincts.

Perhaps. All I'll say is Alcantara made quite a few slick plays at 2B before Baez was called up.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Perhaps. All I'll say is Alcantara made quite a few slick plays at 2B before Baez was called up.

I know Alcantara has range. I was kind of mind boggled that a Cubs coach said Baez had unreal range at second. I remember posting it but he was like Baez makes plays at Second that will make you have to watch twice. That says something to me when Alcantara has great range himself.

Boobaby1

Liked Posts:
The Cubs have other options and money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What are the other options at this point? Almora is still working on things and may never make it, or may be traded. Fowler brings a really good OBP to the dish, and is a switch hitter and lead-off man to boot.

Also, don't discount that this is his contract year, so he could very well put up some nice numbers which may change peoples thinking.

Right now, other than Denard Span which will cost a lot in free agency next year, Fowler could be a very good extended contract moving forward, especially if he has the same success that he had, coupled with the fact that he will have had a year to play with everyone on the team, and if things start to go well, it may be easy for the Cubs to lock him up.

To possibly seeing Fowler and Alcantara at the top of the line-up may give the Cubs that daily double that they haven't seen in a while. :smug2:

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
A couple of things, I think if Baez starts at AAA you'll see LaStella at 2nd to start the year with Alcantara playing 3B and CF on days they want his speed in the lineup. It seems, from what has been reported, that Maddon really wants him in that Zobrist role. Of course Alcantara can can force his hand by making it impossible to not play him every day. As far as keeping Fowler past this year the only reason I think it's unlikely, if Fowler plays well, is money. If 4 years/$50 million is accurate I'd be shocked if the Cubs committ that to a position player at least unless or until Schwarber supplants Montero and they lose that money. Supposedly after picking up Fowler they are $6 million over budget for 2015. The number I heard for an increase in payroll next year is $25 million and I expect that to be spent on pitching and there also trade deadline moves to consider and how those are paid for. Now if the team plays very well, makes the playoffs and starts drawing huge again maybe that changes. On the player front a lot depends on what Almora does this year In the minors as well.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
A couple of things, I think if Baez starts at AAA you'll see LaStella at 2nd to start the year with Alcantara playing 3B and CF on days they want his speed in the lineup. It seems, from what has been reported, that Maddon really wants him in that Zobrist role. Of course Alcantara can can force his hand by making it impossible to not play him every day. As far as keeping Fowler past this year the only reason I think it's unlikely, if Fowler plays well, is money. If 4 years/$50 million is accurate I'd be shocked if the Cubs committ that to a position player at least unless or until Schwarber supplants Montero and they lose that money. Supposedly after picking up Fowler they are $6 million over budget for 2015. The number I heard for an increase in payroll next year is $25 million and I expect that to be spent on pitching and there also trade deadline moves to consider and how those are paid for. Now if the team plays very well, makes the playoffs and starts drawing huge again maybe that changes. On the player front a lot depends on what Almora does this year In the minors as well.
6 mil over budget ? You heard their budget is 96 mil ? csuse right now it stands at 102..

Their still looking to move wood ( 5 mil ) and castillo (2 mil )...

Not sure where you all get your info from about where they ( ricketts ) set their budget at but I doubt being in the 100-110 range would break them..

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
6 mil over budget ? You heard their budget is 96 mil ? csuse right now it stands at 102..

Their still looking to move wood ( 5 mil ) and castillo (2 mil )...

Not sure where you all get your info from about where they ( ricketts ) set their budget at but I doubt being in the 100-110 range would break them..

With estimated arbitration amounts it's been reported that they were at $110 million before the Fowler deal. Valbuena was going make 4 million, Fowler is going to make about $10 million. That's $6 million over. Are the estimates wrong? Maybe, but we know that there's not a lot of money left in any case.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
With estimated arbitration amounts it's been reported that they were at $110 million before the Fowler deal. Valbuena was going make 4 million, Fowler is going to make about $10 million. That's $6 million over. Are the estimates wrong? Maybe, but we know that there's not a lot of money left in any case.
Ok.. I just looked at cots and it showed them at 102 now.. not sure about estimates with remaining Arbs

Besides we were discussing next yr not this yr
Payroll stands now at 82 mil for 2016..
May become less if / when they move castillo wood and jackson. ..
One would hope if they intend to fully contend in 2016 , they would be comfortable with allowing payroll to peak over 120 with more revenue coming in..

ijustposthere

Message Board Hero
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Purdue Boilermakers
I like the Fowler move. Real solid addition.