Is Coaching an Issue?

Should Thibs be fired after this season?

• Yes, he's stubborn and hurts players and/or doesn't develop rookies

Votes: 3 18.8%
  • Yes, the players are losing motivation to play for him

Votes: 2 12.5%
  • Yes, even if the Bulls make it to the Finals/Win Title this year

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, unless the Bulls fail to make it to the Finals/Win title this year

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, he'll still be better than any replacement

Votes: 4 25.0%
  • No, he's an elite coach and elite coaches go through bumps too

Votes: 7 43.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Xplosive

In the Land of the Blind the One Eyed Fan Is Neggd
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
I think the players are at odds with Thibs right now. He has to realize that this team isn't built to play the level of defense that they have in the past, so he has to adjust. I still think he's a great coach and the Bulls can win with him, but something has to give. Either bring in more defenders by making a move, or Thibs has to adjust to current talent.

Diddy1122

I ain't your pal dickface
Liked Posts:
I think players not giving the proper effort on defense has been a big problem all year. The guards are being shredded on the pick n roll because they aren't good defenders other than Hinrich. This year, the team is not switching on screens as in years past. They were able to do that because they had the reigning DPOY playing at a high level, all the time. It's clear to anyone with two eyes that Noah not being 100% ALL YEAR has had a MAJOR effect on overall team defense. It has also shown up on the defensive glass in failing to secure rebounds. It also hasn't helped that the team's glue guy, yep that's right, Dunleavey has been sidelined for weeks which just so happened to coincide with this slump.

While I agree that Thibs is a frustrating coach to handle at times with his stubbornness with his rotations & tendency to overuse players at times, I still feel not only is he the best coach for this team, he's still one of the best in the league. I don't think the players have tuned him out. I think this has more to do with injuries & some mid-season fatigue for some players. Let's remember that two weeks ago, this team had moved into the top 5 in defensive fg%, 3pt %, & rebounds. Now they've hit a slump which coincides with 2 starters missing from the lineup and the sky has begun to fall in many people's eyes.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
We won't shoot better if all we run is Iso Rose, iso Buckets, and don't go inside out or go rarely to Gasol and Noah who both need to be rested probably. Gasol was very lithe and agile all summer in FIBA and early in season, but the season is slowing him down.

He needs 6-8 weeks to replace the summer he missed. We need to bite the bullet and rest guys for playoffs early. Bring them back in a couple months, play into shape and peak for playoffs.

Or we can watch tired Thibs players come close and lose due to overall fatigue.

ChiSoxCity

Liked Posts:
Is Coaching an Issue?.

I have nothing but respect for Thibs. But the reality is he's running this team into the ground. How many times do we have to see the Bulls beat themselves up during the regular season, only to show up depleted and spent when the real meaningful games begin in the playoffs? That's not smart championship ball, that's just ego and stubborness. He needs to start taking care of his players so that they're fresh down the stretch, then push them a month before the playoffs start to build momentum. If he can't or won't do that, the Bulls should replace him sometime next year.

*Dons flame resistant ensemble*

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PolarBear

Liked Posts:
Thibs isn't the problem. But that doesn't mean players aren't tuning him out. Let's assume Rose is the one tuning him out (and others follow Rose to an extent), do you trade Rose or fire Thibs?

Did Rose like bang your gf or something?

Bear Pride

Bears Gonna Shock the World!
Liked Posts:
I think the players are at odds with Thibs right now. He has to realize that this team isn't built to play the level of defense that they have in the past, so he has to adjust. I still think he's a great coach and the Bulls can win with him, but something has to give. Either bring in more defenders by making a move, or Thibs has to adjust to current talent.

Bingo! While I don't always agree with your negatism about the Bulls, I agree with you here. I thought GarPax did a great job with the roster this off season. I also don't think the Bulls need to go crazy with trades. I do, however, think Thib's needs to wake the fuck up.

He has managed the Bulls minutes much better this year cuz of the depth that we have. Unfortunately, imo, he runs the wrong fuckin lineups onto the court. I Love Kirk, but I Love him as a 3rd option for our bench mob. He does not need to be starting anymore.

His usage of our 3 pt shooters is horrible. He'll draw up plays for Taj and Pau to post up, which is great, he just won't have them dish the ball to our 3 pt shooters properly. One reason, is he doesn't put the right 3 pt shooters in at that time.

His screen game offense is as predictable as my HS team's offense. I'm not sure he knows how to take advantage of a defense with the players he has. He constantly plays the wrong combination of players against the opponent.

Again, I don't agree that the Bulls need to make major roster changes, I think Thib's needs to use his players better!

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I think the damn notion that Thibs is somehow at fault in any of this supposed poor performance is asinine. What in the hell would you have had this guy do different this season? Talk particulars, not generalities. I think that Bulls fans were just very lucky to have a guy who got as much out of less talent than pretty much any coach in any sport has done.

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I don't think the Bulls can win a championship with him playing his best players 40 minutes a game all regular season and driving them as hard as he does. I think he needs to change that at a minimum. I just don't know if he can or is willing to change.

I have heard people say that coaches tend not change until they get fired. I kind of wonder if Thibs is a second tenure champ.

name those players that he has played 40 plus minutes with for an entire season? I hear this stuff and I really question what people really know about the Bulls?

czman

Liked Posts:
name those players that he has played 40 plus minutes with for an entire season? I hear this stuff and I really question what people really know about the Bulls?

I hope you are not so Special person that you confuse 40 minutes with 39 minutes and post some stupid crap like that.

Bulter x2
Dengx3

Deng had anohter at 37.5
Noah had a 38
Rose had 37.5

The Bulls have had a top MPG player in the league for the last 4 years and Deng was 5th in Thibs first season. Twice they had 2 players in the top 10.

Anyone who thinks Thibs does not play his guys heavy minutes is not watching the games.

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
I liked Pop's quote on the subject:

“Sometimes players listen to me. (Tim Duncan) stopped listening to me a long time ago. I don’t even coach him,” Popovich added. “You guys think I’m kidding. He just plays. I talk to him once in a while, but sometimes some guys don’t want to hear it. But as far as the team and being lost and that kind of thing, that’s not what’s happening here.”

Bear Pride

Liked Posts:
I think the damn notion that Thibs is somehow at fault in any of this supposed poor performance is asinine. What in the hell would you have had this guy do different this season? Talk particulars, not generalities. I think that Bulls fans were just very lucky to have a guy who got as much out of less talent than pretty much any coach in any sport has done.

My biggest particular that pisses me off is that he plays Kirk too much and doesn't play McD. Playing Kirk with Butler also pushes Jimmy to the SF spot, which I don't like. I'd rather see Niko get minutes there. Getting Dunn back will help this, but what will that do to McD's minutes?

Now is the time he needs to get him some minutes. Thib's needs to get McD minutes now or he won't be ready to contribute at all in the playoffs. I don't believe that 1st round picks can't contribute in their 1st year. If we play a team like Wash in the playoffs, we'll need all the shooters we can get. For me, Kirk is no longer that guy.

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
im a casual fan. I was a kid in the Jordan era and thought basketball was amazing than just lost touch with the league. Is this teams struggles a tom issue? it confused me when there were reports he was on the hot seat.

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
im a casual fan. I was a kid in the Jordan era and thought basketball was amazing than just lost touch with the league. Is this teams struggles a tom issue? it confused me when there were reports he was on the hot seat.
Bad stretch = everyone gets thrown under the bus

Bear Pride

Liked Posts:

Imo, it's both. Mostly the players and their effort lately as last night's effort showed how good they can play. However, Thib's needs to better utilize his players and scheme a little bit. The Bulls recent injuries have magnified this, imo. When the Bulls get all their players back, they will be a lot better, but I'm hoping that Thib's learns some lessons from this.

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
My biggest particular that pisses me off is that he plays Kirk too much and doesn't play McD. Playing Kirk with Butler also pushes Jimmy to the SF spot, which I don't like. I'd rather see Niko get minutes there. Getting Dunn back will help this, but what will that do to McD's minutes?

Now is the time he needs to get him some minutes. Thib's needs to get McD minutes now or he won't be ready to contribute at all in the playoffs. I don't believe that 1st round picks can't contribute in their 1st year. If we play a team like Wash in the playoffs, we'll need all the shooters we can get. For me, Kirk is no longer that guy.

I entirely agree that Hinrich is worthless. I've been bitching for multiple seasons that their backcourt is too thin. As for McD, I think that yo have to take a bit into consideration that he is just getting back from an injury and that he really wasn't showing very much before he got hurt. I think that this is going to be pretty much a lost season for him. It certainly isn't the end of the road for the guy. He can watch and learn.

Icculus

The Great and Knowledgeable
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Army Black Knights
Michael Jordan averaged 38.3 minutes a game for his entire career.

Jordan was also healthy for his entire career following foot surgery during his second season.

Bear Pride

Liked Posts:
I entirely agree that Hinrich is worthless. I've been bitching for multiple seasons that their backcourt is too thin. As for McD, I think that yo have to take a bit into consideration that he is just getting back from an injury and that he really wasn't showing very much before he got hurt. I think that this is going to be pretty much a lost season for him. It certainly isn't the end of the road for the guy. He can watch and learn.

Kirk's been great the last couple years filling in while Rose has been out. The difference this year is that the Bulls have a very deep team, and have better options than him. We also have young guys to develop for the future. I don't even mind Thib's relying on Kirk's veteran leadership at the end of games for defense, but for Christ sakes, get our young guys some minutes in the mean time! Especially McD, our 1st round pick!