Is Coaching an Issue?

Should Thibs be fired after this season?

• Yes, he's stubborn and hurts players and/or doesn't develop rookies

Votes: 3 18.8%
  • Yes, the players are losing motivation to play for him

Votes: 2 12.5%
  • Yes, even if the Bulls make it to the Finals/Win Title this year

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, unless the Bulls fail to make it to the Finals/Win title this year

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, he'll still be better than any replacement

Votes: 4 25.0%
  • No, he's an elite coach and elite coaches go through bumps too

Votes: 7 43.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Sunbiz1

Liked Posts:
Can the Bulls win a title w/Thibs at the helm, or is he another Doug Collins?.

Which is to say, a good coach but not the right fit.

czman

Liked Posts:
I hope you have a pitchfork proof outfit on.

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Thibs is not a Doug Collins.

Doug Collins best regular season ever was 54-28 with the 96-97 Pistons and they lost in the first round.

Until very recently, Thibs was said to be one of the best coaches in the NBA. Now that the Bulls are in a midst of a struggle and their defense has not been there this year, all kinds of questions are coming out about him. Not to say, I don't think you should question it, but proceed with caution.

Naptastic

Liked Posts:
Thibs is not a Doug Collins.

Doug Collins best regular season ever was 54-28 with the 96-97 Pistons and they lost in the first round.

Until very recently, Thibs was said to be one of the best coaches in the NBA. Now that the Bulls are in a midst of a struggle and their defense has not been there this year, all kinds of questions are coming out about him. Not to say, I don't think you should question it, but proceed with caution.

Im not saying hes the GOAT, but he has shown consistently he can get the absolute most of his players and always surpasses expectations. I said earlier, this is kinda a big moment for the bulls. They are in a major slump, and nothing is working, even their trademarked defense. They got to either implode a la pacers or work out of it. Personally, i hope the latter.
This is kinda the worst moment Thibs has had as a coach so I get that hes open to criticism, but I just don't think this moment should define him as a coach.

czman

Liked Posts:
The questions about Thibs now have been there since mid way through the first season. His offense has always been poorly designed. He always played guys to many minutes and rode players too hard. He has always been a micro manager.

Just now it is not as tolerated because the team is not winning. People brought these points up years ago.

This is not new. It is just getting attention because of their play. The Bulls will start to play better. The law of averages will resolve some of their shooting issues, along with Dunleavy getting healthy.

I suspect winning regular season games will cause people to feel that everything is OK and that Thibs found the "fix" the Bulls issues.

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
The questions about Thibs now have been there since mid way through the first season. His offense has always been poorly designed. He always played guys to many minutes and rode players too hard. He has always been a micro manager.

Just now it is not as tolerated because the team is not winning. People brought these points up years ago.

This is not new. It is just getting attention because of their play. The Bulls will start to play better. The law of averages will resolve some of their shooting issues, along with Dunleavy getting healthy.

I suspect winning regular season games will cause people to feel that everything is OK and that Thibs found the "fix" the Bulls issues.
What coach is perfect?

czman

Liked Posts:
What coach is perfect?

It is not matter of perfect. It has never been about that. It is a question of: do the coaches limitations cap the team at a point where they will not be able to win a championship.

Every coach has flaws. Those flaws cap success. Where is Thibs cap. Some think he can win a championship as he is. Some don't.

Naptastic

Liked Posts:
It is not matter of perfect. It has never been about that. It is a question of: do the coaches limitations cap the team at a point where they will not be able to win a championship.

Every coach has flaws. Those flaws cap success. Where is Thibs cap. Some think he can win a championship as he is. Some don't.
And you think he can or can't?

Axl Rose

and I knew the silence of the world
Liked Posts:
thibs is defensive genius however i just don't think hes all that great in other areas...hes going on what 5 years as a HC now? but im not seeing any growth in him as a coach

this is the ultimate test for thibs right now

Liked Posts:
Thibs isn't the problem. But that doesn't mean players aren't tuning him out. Let's assume Rose is the one tuning him out (and others follow Rose to an extent), do you trade Rose or fire Thibs?

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Thibs isn't the problem. But that doesn't mean players aren't tuning him out. Let's assume Rose is the one tuning him out (and others follow Rose to an extent), do you trade Rose or fire Thibs?
According to some, the answer you seek is yes. Trade everyone else too while you're at it.

czman

Liked Posts:
According to some, the answer you seek is yes. Trade everyone else too while you're at it.

Clone, I think you are joking, but that is how the fires get stoked around here. You type that and someone who is mildly Special person thinks that there are people who are suggesting blowing the entire team up. I don't think I have seen that from anyone yet.

Soon someone will come in here and argue against a trade that was never suggested.

czman

Liked Posts:
And you think he can or can't?

I don't think the Bulls can win a championship with him playing his best players 40 minutes a game all regular season and driving them as hard as he does. I think he needs to change that at a minimum. I just don't know if he can or is willing to change.

I have heard people say that coaches tend not change until they get fired. I kind of wonder if Thibs is a second tenure champ.

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Clone, I think you are joking, but that is how the fires get stoked around here. You type that and someone who is mildly Special person thinks that there are people who are suggesting blowing the entire team up. I don't think I have seen that from anyone yet.

Soon someone will come in here and argue against a trade that was never suggested.
If you can't tell when I'm joking, clearly you don't post here enough ;)

NOTE: I know exactly what you're referring to btw

Sunbiz1

Liked Posts:

This doesn't exactly instill confidence. I like Thibs, always have...so by no means should my question have been taken as a conclusion.

I asked b/c he is old school, and the NBA for the most part is not. Work harder doesn't always work with guys who are soft to begin with.

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
Every year the fans kept saying, "sign x player, Thibs can hide their defensive shortcomings". Who has the front office brought in to help defensively? I think those were unrealistic expectations.

Choisauce

Liked Posts:
no - coaching is not an issue and the bulls can win the championship with Thibs as HC