Interesting article about plate discipline and Fowler/Montero

TL1961

Liked Posts:
He calls Prado the worst because he swings at a lower % of pitches in the zone than most players.

So if a player takes pitches, which they often do to intentionally make the pitcher throw more pitches, he is criticized for poor decision making. That's not a real fair assessment.

Matt Carpenter takes more strikes than most, and consequently, is near the top of the list for pitches per AB, which can be very good for his club. Why call that poor judgement when it is an intentional approach? Even if you disagree with that approach, it isn't the hitter necessarily failing to recognize whether a ball or strike.

It is interesting to see Fowler as one with good recognition, yet he doesn't have a particularly low K rate.

Liked Posts:
He calls Prado the worst because he swings at a lower % of pitches in the zone than most players.

So if a player takes pitches, which they often do to intentionally make the pitcher throw more pitches, he is criticized for poor decision making. That's not a real fair assessment.

Matt Carpenter takes more strikes than most, and consequently, is near the top of the list for pitches per AB, which can be very good for his club. Why call that poor judgement when it is an intentional approach? Even if you disagree with that approach, it isn't the hitter necessarily failing to recognize whether a ball or strike.

It is interesting to see Fowler as one with good recognition, yet he doesn't have a particularly low K rate.

Sold point. I'd be interested to see how these stats look in the macro when looking at guys who played college baseball. The reason I say that is that I know it's not completely unusual for HS and college teams to have the same approach at the request of the coach. For example, if you're batting line up is facing someone really good (or someone who struggles with command), the coach my order everyone to not swing until there's a strike the first time through the lineup. If I'm not mistaken, Carpenter has played at very successful HS and college programs. He met be programmed to make the pitcher work going back to well before the majors.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:

It's been an hour or two since I read this but I believe he mentions the limitations of the examination.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Looks like a "who is a hack" list. See Sori and Castro at the bottom... Wonder where Rizzo is on the rankings?

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Looks like a "who is a hack" list. See Sori and Castro at the bottom... Wonder where Rizzo is on the rankings?

Sori retired last year, and is STILL swinging at bad pitches!

I always swore he'd check his swing on a pickoff throw to first.

Boobaby1

Liked Posts:
Sori retired last year, and is STILL swinging at bad pitches!

I always swore he'd check his swing on a pickoff throw to first.

He is was a sucker for pitches that were way outside. :lmao: