Amazing News about Gordie Howe

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Has anyone seen the recent progress report regarding the health of Mr. Gordie Howe. You may have seen articles about Howe which talked about his massive stroke and how limited he is following it. Well, I just read an article about how his family got in tough with a clinic in which stem cells are used to treat those who have undergone these kinds of strokes among other maladies.

Apparently Howe went to a legit clinic in Mexico, was treated with Stem Cells and made remarkable progress almost immediately. His speech has basically returned along with most of his motor functions. He is now able to perform household chores and play street hockey and other games with his grandkids. Amazing news, isn't it?

CRM 114

Premium Member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Wow that's amazing! As much as I hate the Dead Wings, I was devastated to learn what happens to Mr. Hockey. Good to see he's doing better.

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Wow that's amazing! As much as I hate the Dead Wings, I was devastated to learn what happens to Mr. Hockey. Good to see he's doing better.

Me too. I think that Howe was the best over-all hockey player in NHL history. No one messed with the guy and got the best of him much.

Samurai

Ridiculum Anserini
Liked Posts:
Good to hear, however I'll bet he's not too happy about the "being able to perform household chores " part.

Pez68

Fire Quenneville
Liked Posts:
Just goes to show how stupid this country is with their stem cell research policy, when someone like this has to go to MEXICO to receive treatment... that greatly improved their quality of life.

Samurai

Ridiculum Anserini
Liked Posts:
Just goes to show how stupid this country is with their stem cell research policy, when someone like this has to go to MEXICO to receive treatment... that greatly improved their quality of life.

...and apparently Canada isn't too medically forward either, eh?

Pez68

Fire Quenneville
Liked Posts:
I don't understand the article. It's basically a couple of guys that don't understand the treatment, and haven't seen any medical information regarding the treatment outside of what was in the media, saying...what exactly? That they don't buy it? That it is BS?

The evidence speaks for itself I think... Improvement within 24 hours? The remarkable improvement in his condition? Is that all just a coincidence? Obviously every person is different, but the fact that there was this much improvement in his condition after the stem cell treatment SHOULD give hope to families in similar situations. It shows that there are options available that could help people in similar situations. Obviously more research is needed, and we have no idea about the long term implications and effects of the treatment, but this is progress. It's no coincidence that they did this for free. Maybe they know their treatments work but need exposure like this to get things moving in the right direction? I would think they must be pretty fucking confident in what they are doing to agree to treat such a high profile individual, and do it for free. If it doesn't work out, it could be disastrous for them.

Sometimes the federal government just needs to fuck off and get out of the way.

Samurai

Ridiculum Anserini
Liked Posts:
Detailed skeptical article about said therapy

Regardless, I'm glad he is recovering.

I don't understand the article. It's basically a couple of guys that don't understand the treatment, and haven't seen any medical information regarding the treatment outside of what was in the media, saying...what exactly? That they don't buy it? That it is BS?

The evidence speaks for itself I think... Improvement within 24 hours? The remarkable improvement in his condition? Is that all just a coincidence? Obviously every person is different, but the fact that there was this much improvement in his condition after the stem cell treatment SHOULD give hope to families in similar situations. It shows that there are options available that could help people in similar situations. Obviously more research is needed, and we have no idea about the long term implications and effects of the treatment, but this is progress. It's no coincidence that they did this for free. Maybe they know their treatments work but need exposure like this to get things moving in the right direction? I would think they must be pretty fucking confident in what they are doing to agree to treat such a high profile individual, and do it for free. If it doesn't work out, it could be disastrous for them.

Sometimes the federal government just needs to fuck off and get out of the way.
I read the article in it's entirety, and if Murray Howe wasn't a well respected MD, I could understand that there might be questions and/or red flags regarding Gordie's physical response & early stages of recovery. But after reading Dr. Howe's well written response regarding options and rationale, I have no questions nor admonitions, just praise for all involved. If I would have had the ability to find and utilize a better treatment for MY dad's cancer, I sure as hell would have.

Don't get me started on the Feds (and especially their lawyers).