"Thirty million means a lot to anybody" Wade said.

Fred

Liked Posts:
Would you pass up 30 Million? My money says Wade won't. Here's more ammo for my "If we want one of these guys, It's going to require a sign and trade" argument:

Daily Herald, Mike McGraw:
Here are the basic rules, which were meant to give teams an advantage in retaining their players: Free-agents can re-sign with their own teams for six years, with annual raises of 10.5 percent. They can sign with a new team for five years, with annual raises of 8 percent. In either case, the raises are based on the first-year salary.

As members of the 2003 draft class who signed max extensions, both Wade and Toronto's Chris Bosh made $15.779 million this season.

If those players re-sign for the max with their current teams, they can get $125.5 million over six years. Sign with another team and the most they can get is $96.1 million over five years.

"Thirty million means a lot to anybody," Wade said. "To Bill Gates, $30 million means a lot. To Slim Helu, who's the richest man in the world this year, it means a lot. So not just to me. I don't have that much money."
http://www.dailyherald.com/story/?id=377230

Shakes

Iconoclast
Liked Posts:
Re:

Money has always been the reason that the FAs are most likely to stay where they are. If their team plays hardball and calls their bluff, will they pass up the extra money? I don't know. Would certainly be interesting to see Toronto try, given they've had Vince Carter sulk his way out of town, would they risk signing Bosh even if he says he wants to leave?

TheStig

Liked Posts:
Re:

S&T's favor the player and team giving up the player. Thats why I was surprised BG wasn't S&T, they could have gotten him a sixth year and opened up a huge trade exception for us. A team like Miami though, has no reason to facilitate a Wade trade unless they get something good, since they won't need a TE due to having no other salaries and they obviously won't want to make it easy for Wade to leave. Toronto however, is a team that could benefit even if they don't get much more than cap space and a pick or two. At the trade deadline, they can turn that into a shorter contract star player.