Danny Shelton dominating Senior Bowl.

PolarBear

Liked Posts:
Charlie Campbell from Walterfootball said he has dominated the Senior bowl so far. The only weakness was some fatigue on his first day of drills. Absolutely destroyed O-lineman in 1-on-1 situations and he said that he should definitely be the top pick from all the player's at the Senior Bowl.

The Bears were one of the teams that had a meeting with him on the first day.

Definitely going to be in play for the Bears at #7 I think. If he has a big day at the combine though he could rise up into the top 5 similar to Dontari Poe.

BearsFan51

Liked Posts:
I'm sure he's looked dominant given the environment. He's supposed to look dominant in this scenario. Dee Ford dominated in the Senior Bowl last year. But the fact remains there will be better players at more important positions when the Bears pick at 17.

If I need to remind people again I will, the Bears didn't have a DT problem last year. They had an elite edge rusher problem and you're not going to find an elite 3-4 edge rusher in the second round. If Shane Ray is there at seven it's a no-brainer pick. The Bears need the best 3-4 linebacker in this draft if he's there and with any luck he will be. Plus if Ego Ferguson takes the expected next step after playing better than expected last year, he's fully capable of being the nose tackle.

I get it though, every year this board falls in love with guys who win with size and strength. Last year it was Nix everyone on the board was all over his dick, then as the process wore on things became more clear.

dreadpirateroberts

Liked Posts:
If I am Ryan Pace, I am taking an edge rusher (Randy Gregory, Shane Ray, Dante Fowler or Alvin Dupree) with the 7th pick and taking Jordan Phillips, the defensive tackle from Oklahoma, in the second round.

Matt Suhey

Liked Posts:
I would only go for Shelton if the Bears cannot land a 3-4 NT in FA. This draft as you all know is fat with 3-4 rush guys. Thats where the value is in the 7th pick. Thats the smart way to play it.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
I'm sure he's looked dominant given the environment. He's supposed to look dominant in this scenario. Dee Ford dominated in the Senior Bowl last year. But the fact remains there will be better players at more important positions when the Bears pick at 17.

If I need to remind people again I will, the Bears didn't have a DT problem last year. They had an elite edge rusher problem and you're not going to find an elite 3-4 edge rusher in the second round. If Shane Ray is there at seven it's a no-brainer pick. The Bears need the best 3-4 linebacker in this draft if he's there and with any luck he will be. Plus if Ego Ferguson takes the expected next step after playing better than expected last year, he's fully capable of being the nose tackle.

I get it though, every year this board falls in love with guys who win with size and strength. Last year it was Nix everyone on the board was all over his dick, then as the process wore on things became more clear.

Oh boy here we go again with BF51 acting like he's a draft guru and he's gonna teach people something just like last year (A.Donald). I'm pretty sure we all know that one of our best positions not only on the defense but on the team was DT and i don't think Ego performed better than a 2nd round pick is expected to play. Please don't play the no it all position again and lets just talk about prospects like normal fans because it's really annoying as all fuck and this goes to all the know it all's every year at this time of year. Another thing is i would rather J.Ratliff as my starting NT next year with Ego being rotated in but either one should be good to go i hope. I also agree that we should grab the best OLB at #7 out of S.Ray or V.Beasley and maybe D.Fowler.

BearsFan51

Liked Posts:
I would only go for Shelton if the Bears cannot land a 3-4 NT in FA. This draft as you all know is fat with 3-4 rush guys. Thats where the value is in the 7th pick. Thats the smart way to play it.

The Bears don't need a 3-4 nose tackle. The 49ers have had four different starting nose tackles over the last four years and none of them have been over 315-pounds and their defense dominated.

It's simply a matter of looking and learning to see how Fangio's defense has been successful and it's always managed to be successful without the 0-technique anchor. At no point have the 49ers gone out and drafted a 3-4 nose tackle. They have never prioritized the nose tackle position and there's no reason for that to change.

Bears93

Liked Posts:
The Bears don't need a 3-4 nose tackle. The 49ers have had four different starting nose tackles over the last four years and none of them have been over 315-pounds and their defense dominated.

It's simply a matter of looking and learning to see how Fangio's defense has been successful and it's always managed to be successful without the 0-technique anchor. At no point have the 49ers gone out and drafted a 3-4 nose tackle. They have never prioritized the nose tackle position and there's no reason for that to change.

So can we get Michael Bennett from Ohio State? No. But if we ran a 4-3 still I'd be begging for him in the third. We still need a NT who is at least 305-330 if we run any type of 3-4.

1000ftditka!

Throbbing
Liked Posts:
Civilization, also known as Massachusetts
Major
1949-1951-ford-mercury-woody-5.jpg

dreadpirateroberts

Liked Posts:
Enter Jordan Phillips. A behemoth at 6'6" and 334 pounds.

[video=youtube;ny0GG5v1EFw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ny0GG5v1EFw&edufilter=Db24N54Eu_vpe4P65Iz5FA&safe=active[/video]

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
So can we get Michael Bennett from Ohio State? No. But if we ran a 4-3 still I'd be begging for him in the third. We still need a NT who is at least 305-330 if we run any type of 3-4.

Both Ratliff and Ego can put the needed weight on to play the NT in Fangio's defense which won't be much cause like BF51 said the guys had playing NT in SanFran were never above 315.

dreadpirateroberts

Liked Posts:
Both Ratliff and Ego can put the needed weight on to play the NT in Fangio's defense which won't be much cause like BF51 said the guys had playing NT in SanFran were never above 315.

With it sounding like Ratliff and Ferguson will hold down the nose tackle position, we now need to turn our attention to the defensive end position. Lamarr Houston will get the left side. Jared Allen and Willie Young do not fit as 3-4 ends and Will Sutton is not ready to start.

An free agency option could be Ray McDonald out of San Francisco if he is cleared by police and the league. He was a top ten player at the position.

PolarBear

Liked Posts:

I am a big Shane Ray fan. So much that I don't think he makes it to 7. He is going to have a monster combine and will be a top 5 pick IMO.

Like I have said and I am pretty sure Pace has even said it, the Bears need to use FA to fill the holes in the team. This should be done with multiple value signings, no high priced FA's.

That allows us to go BPA in the draft. If Shelton is that guy then so be it.

dreadpirateroberts

Liked Posts:
A couple of free agents that I think the Bears should sign:

Michael Wilhoite – ILB – San Francisco 49ers

Dan Skuta – OLB – San Francisco 49ers

Rahim Moore – FS – Denver Broncos

Will Hill – SS – Baltimore Ravens

Da Coach

Liked Posts:

IMO the 49ers have had the best overall consistent corps of linebackers in the NFL over the past several years.

I would sadly put our Bears at nearly dead last in that department right now.

Jones and Bostic may be serviceable, but we need ILB and OLB/DE in a serious way.

legendxofxlink

Whistle Dixie
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nashville Predators
  1. ETSU Buccaneers
  2. Tennessee Volunteers

Completely agree. Ego is huge and everyone said it would take him at the very least one full offseason to grow into a starter in the NFL.. Our entire defense will play better next year just with adding a better coach.. WIth that said, Shelton is a good player, hopefully one that pushes Shane Ray into our laps

Bearmacist

Liked Posts:

I like Vic Beasley more than Shane Ray man... check him out

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
As many of you who have been here for a while know, I am a firm believer in the planet theory.

There are more undersized pass rushers in the draft then there are 343lbs men who have NFL power and shocking movement skills.

What has impressed me most about Shelton is that he is never on the ground. You would expect a man that big to lack the balance and lateral movement skills to consistently stay up. He does.

Chris Sojka

Liked Posts:
Enter Jordan Phillips. A behemoth at 6'6" and 334 pounds.

[video=youtube;ny0GG5v1EFw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ny0GG5v1EFw&edufilter=Db24N54Eu_vpe4P65Iz5FA&safe=active[/video]

Guy is actually really athletic for his size... He is like a 6'6'' athlete who could be 310lbs of pure muscle... He has a great change of direction and a solid motor... good persuit skills..

Only 1 pass rush move... High pad level... cant penetrate double teams... Doesn't always control the LOS... Sometimes gets stood up and can have lazy hands...

He is a solid athlete but has poor technique... He is athletic enough to play at the NFL level no doubt...Gets his hands up to block the QBs view and get in passing lanes... is he technical enough and will he stand his ground against NFL lineman? thats a question you have to ask about every prospect...

I could see him being a 4th rounder because of his build and his athleticism but outside of that he has to get lower and use his hands and keep his legs pumping... He is too big and good an athlete to give up that much ground...

dreadpirateroberts

Liked Posts:
Guy is actually really athletic for his size... He is like a 6'6'' athlete who could be 310lbs of pure muscle... He has a great change of direction and a solid motor... good persuit skills..

Only 1 pass rush move... High pad level... cant penetrate double teams... Doesn't always control the LOS... Sometimes gets stood up and can have lazy hands...

He is a solid athlete but has poor technique... He is athletic enough to play at the NFL level no doubt...Gets his hands up to block the QBs view and get in passing lanes... is he technical enough and will he stand his ground against NFL lineman? thats a question you have to ask about every prospect...

I could see him being a 4th rounder because of his build and his athleticism but outside of that he has to get lower and use his hands and keep his legs pumping... He is too big and good an athlete to give up that much ground...

I've read that he has been compared to Dontari Poe.

Chris Sojka

Liked Posts:
I've read that he has been compared to Dontari Poe.

really? as far as what? His strength or speed or athleticism...

I look at him against KSU and he has some really good plays where he makes an impact and then there are plays where he seems to get stood straight up... Even though he is playing a 2 gap technique it would seem he doesn't get a lot of leverage on certain plays and he doesn't drive the offensive player right into the QBs lap... Im not saying he cant I am just saying at times he looks like he is making plays... at other times he looks irrelevant...

I would love to watch more tape on him...