Bears all time team

hyatt151

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
It's like music, where it's always trendy to assume old stuff is better than new stuff. So I'll add a few changes with that in mind.

Offense -
Marshall in for Gault.
Forte in for Anderson.
Jimbo Covert in for one of these old timers from the 30s/40s.

Defense -
Peppers in for Hewitt (no way was some cigarette smoking two-way player from he 30s better than 2010 Julius Peppers.)
Tommie Harris in for Da Fridge.
Briggs in for Buffone.
Peanut in for Richardson

Special Teams -
Hester in for McAfee and Sayers.
Gould in for Butler.

That one's really,really, close!!

Broc

well baked
Donator
Liked Posts:
Neal Anderson gets slept on way more than Forte and deserves his spot on the list IMO. Still one of my favorite Bears players of all time.

[video=youtube_share;5Op3rnfR6BQ]http://youtu.be/5Op3rnfR6BQ[/video]

dabears253313

Liked Posts:
for me cutler and forte and hester for sure and I wonder if marshall shouldn't be added as well

Of course Brandon Marshall should be added, he is the best wide out in Chicago Bears history. Devin Hester isn't only the best returner in Bears history, but NFL history as well.

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
BM basically burned all his credibility when it comes to discussing Forte when he said the following:

FirstTimer: Do you think Matt Forte is better than Emmitt Smith?

BM: "Hard to say."

He also thinks it's "close" between Forte and Thurman Thomas and he think Forte is better than Marcus Allen.

It sounds ridiculous when you omit the context. What I said was it's hard to compare Emmitt to other backs because of the incredible OL he ran behind and offense he played in overall. He even said himself that you could drive a truck through a lot of the holes he ran through. If Emmitt was on an average team, I have no idea how his career would have gone.

I do think it's close between forte, Allen and Thomas, but I'm not going to rehash the entire argument again because there's no point and it's already been done. We'll just have to agree to disagree. If you can do that without an ad hominem attack, I'll be massively impressed.

I do think you're wrong about Harris though. Prior to the untimely injuries, he was absolutely elite.

dabears253313

Liked Posts:
What about Thomas Jones? Does anyone have him on their roster or at least top 5?

FirstTimer

v. 2.0: Fully Modded
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
I do think it's close between forte, Allen and Thomas

You flat out stated Forte was better than Allen.

Like I said:
"BM basically burned all his credibility when it comes to discussing Forte"

The fact you're even defending the idea that it's tough to compare Emmitt Smith to Matt freaking Forte as far as Smith being better is ridiculous. Stop talking.

Forte is not in Thomas, Allen or Smith's league. You're basically arguing that if Forte retired tomorrow he'd be comparable to two first ballot and one second ballot HOF'er. That's absurd. It's arguable right now whether Forte is even better than Ricky Watters.

Prior to the untimely injuries, he was absolutely elite.
Harris never made an All Pro team during his peak. He made some PB's. He was a very good player. He wasn't in Sapp's league as a DT and wouldn't have been even had he continued his career trend. You're forgetting just how amazing Sapp was. As usual your historic context sucks.

Last edited:

FirstTimer

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
What about Thomas Jones? Does anyone have him on their roster or at least top 5?

Top 5 RB in Bears history? Nah.

No particular order: Payton, Sayers, Anderson, Forte, Casares.

Jones is in the next group of guys with Galimore, Bull, A-Train etc. Still solid but the Top 5 are pretty well defined.

DMelt36

Bolland > You
Liked Posts:
Harris never made an All Pro team during his peak. He made some PB's. He was a very good player. He wasn't in Sapp's league as a DT and wouldn't have been even had he continued his career trend. You're forgetting just how amazing Sapp was. As usual your historic context sucks.

FWIW, Harris was named 1st Team All-Conference by Pro Football Weekly and 2nd Team All-NFL by the AP in 2005. Only All-Pro awards he received.

Pro Football Reference link

I think the biggest difference between Forte and Anderson is that Anderson had a certain "wow" factor. In his (albeit short-lived) prime, he was capable of hitting home runs with big plays thanks to his impressive speed and agility. It feels like Forte's big plays are more of a result of his great field vision and his ability to set up blockers at the line of scrimmage as well as down the field.

FirstTimer

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
FWIW, Harris was named 1st Team All-Conference by Pro Football Weekly and 2nd Team All-NFL by the AP in 2005. Only All-Pro awards he received.

I'm well aware but I(as well as most of the football discussing world) don't look at 2nd team AP's and really ever cite them. When people refer to AP team they are referring to making 1st team Associated Press All Pro. No one really cares about the 2nd team.

I think the biggest difference between Forte and Anderson is that Anderson had a certain "wow" factor. In his (albeit short-lived) prime, he was capable of hitting home runs with big plays thanks to his impressive speed and agility. It feels like Forte's big plays are more of a result of his great field vision and his ability to set up blockers at the line of scrimmage as well as down the field.

Forte is what Salaam should have been. Anderson was Thurman Thomas-lite.(That's not an evaluation of who was better at all just a body type/style comparison.)

Last edited:

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Top 5 RB in Bears history? Nah.

No particular order: Payton, Sayers, Anderson, Forte, Casares.

Jones is in the next group of guys with Galimore, Bull, A-Train etc. Still solid but the Top 5 are pretty well defined.

Jones was much better than Anthony Thomas.

As usual your ability to compare players sucks.

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:

Yes. Forte doesn't have a flashy style, and that causes a lot of people to compare him negatively with similar backs in terms of overall production.

Anderson had a lesser ypc than forte behind a far better line. It is what it is.

FirstTimer

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Jones was much better than Anthony Thomas.

As usual your ability to compare players sucks.

I never said Jones was or wasn't better than Anthony Thomas. I said that Jones was in that next tier of Bears RB's "all time" with "guys like" Anthony Thomas.

Are you mental?

FirstTimer

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Yes. Forte doesn't have a flashy style, and that causes a lot of people to compare him negatively with similar backs in terms of overall production.

Anderson had a lesser ypc than forte behind a far better line. It is what it is.

He also doesn't have "flashy" production compared to guys with elite production when looked at in context. But hey, according to you Forte is comparable right now to first and second ballot HOF'ers.

9sw43.jpg

Hbkrusso

Objective Fanboy
Donator
Liked Posts:
u guys act like you wouldn't have hated and called for luckmans head as much as you do cutler and he has way less picks

Reactions: 1ke