OT: Nike being sued over Jumpman logo

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/12218091/photographer-sues-nike-michael-jordan-photo-copyright

Rentmeester says he took a picture of Jordan in his Olympic warm-ups in 1984 for an issue of Life Magazine. After it was published, Nike's Peter Moore, who designed the first Air Jordans, paid $150 for temporary use of Rentmeester's slides. Rentmeester says Nike used his photo to recreate the shot with Jordan in Bulls gear with the Chicago skyline in the background, but that it was essentially still his work.

nba_g_jordan_b1_300x200.jpg

Liked Posts:
He's suing for a picture he took in 1984?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Naptastic

Liked Posts:
I actually was talking about this with a friend who is an intellectual property lawyer. He thought it was kinda interesting, but brought up that if the man didnt contest it when they first used it, then they can take that for assent.
It makes sense, but how stupid of the guy not to do anything til now.

Liked Posts:
I could see him not doing anything considering how much it's worth today compared to back then but it's still a headscratcher to me

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
I hope the guy gets nothing.

Because one, the trademark was files and grated numerous times. And he had a lot of time to challenge that then. So now Nike has a trademark on something, they have no roadblocks. Kind of like making sure you look both ways before you cross the street, only to get someone at a complete stop, accelorating through a redlight(then claiming they had the right of way).