Rahim Moore would be great FA

Sagbear

Liked Posts:
Why do you guys like him so much? He's a very average safety who is afraid of contact. I think you guys are going to be disappointed.

He was more physical this year and was able to wrap up better. I read an article saying he bulked up this offseason and it payed off, he was also more consistent. He's 24 and is still improving.

Sagbear

Liked Posts:
The Bears can probabluy afford Moore and Culliver.

Moore is my 2nd safety FA target after McCourty.

McCourty is more sound but isn't the play maker Moore is. It ll be interesting to see which one gets the bigger contract.

Shepard

Renegade
Donator
Liked Posts:
I wouldn't be surprised to see Pace chase McCourty or Moore as his group went all in on Byrd last year.

However, I'd rather see the Bears sign four quality new defensive starters this off-season instead of one big one.

It isn't as if the Bears are plugging guys in- they're changing the entire scheme.

RiDLer80

First time, long time.
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Miami Hurricanes
  2. Northern Illinois Huskies
I wouldn't be surprised to see Pace chase McCourty or Moore as his group went all in on Byrd last year.

However, I'd rather see the Bears sign four quality new defensive starters this off-season instead of one big one.

It isn't as if the Bears are plugging guys in- they're changing the entire scheme.

I don't see Moore or McCourty getting anywhere near the amount of money Byrd got last year. McCourty will probably get more than Moore, but I think if we sign either one we'll still be able to add another quality FA or two to help our defensive transition.

Colonel_Buendia

Liked Posts:
But how does Willis fit into the strategic situation that the Bears find themselves in? Are they going to compete next year? No. Are they going to compete in 2016? Probably not, unless they have an incredibly good draft this year. So signing a 30-plus player for FA market money does them absolutely no good, because he'll be 32 by the time the Bears ready to compete and likely in significant decline by then. That's exactly the time when they need cap flexibility to add key pieces, not have it tied up in foolish, short-sighted signings that made the team slightly better during years in which they were never in a position to compete anyways.

well personally i think the foolish thing is to give up on the 2016 season in January of 2014. if we really were giving up for the next two seasons, and we don't value anyone over 30, then we should cut Jared Allen, Jeremiah Ratliff, Tim Jennings, Jermon Bushrod, Roberto Garza, Matt Forte, Josh Morgan, Ryan Mundy, Martellus Bennett, and Jay Cutler because they do us absolutely no good except that each make the team slightly better.

strockrocks

Liked Posts:
I live in Denver and was listening to Mike Klis (writes for the Denver Post and from Illinois).. and the Broncos defensive talk is almost identical to that of the Bears as they transition to a new coaching staff. Klis believes they will hire Wade in the next few days unless something bizarre happens and they get to hire Vance Joseph who the Bengals are blocking (and who they really want)

Anyway, they were discussing what would happen with the defense if they were to switch to a 3-4 base and who would shine in the system (Ware/Von Miller) and who wouldn't be a great fit (R Moore). He didn't say why. He said R Moore would probably explore free agency as signing him wouldn't be their top priority if they switch.

Klis has always spoke/wrote positively about Moore this year so he wasn't saying he's a bad player; in fact the opposite. He just didn't feel he was the best fit in the new system.

I don't really understand what the Broncos currently run (if you go on their message board and look in the 4-3 to 3-4 thread, it seems complicated) but some say they kind of run a 3-4 already on plays. I have no idea.

Anyway, if we are transitioning to a 3-4 and the Broncos are doing the same, I want to explore more why they don't seem to think Moore is the best fit for it.

RiDLer80

First time, long time.
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Miami Hurricanes
A change in the front seven should have no affect on Moore's ability to play safety.

He's probably not in their plans because they won't have the money to re-sign him along with Demariyus Thomas and Julius Thomas.

But them switching between fronts doesn't affect his game at all.

strockrocks

Liked Posts:
A change in the front seven should have no affect on Moore's ability to play safety.

He's probably not in their plans because they won't have the money to re-sign him along with Demariyus Thomas and Julius Thomas.

But them switching between fronts doesn't affect his game at all.

And that's what I was thinking too but they weren't talking about the money when talking about him hitting free agency; they were talking about the scheme. So I'm confused why his name came up when talking about the switch.

RiDLer80

First time, long time.
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Miami Hurricanes
I'm not really familiar with what Denver ran last season and what Wade Phillips will run (he's been hired per ESPN), but I imagine it may have something to do with zone vs man in the back seven. That'd be my only guess as to why he'd no longer be a fit.

I believe the 3-4 that Rex Ryan ran is more man based while the 3-4 that used to get ran by Dick LeBeau was a fire zone defense. Maybe Moore is better at one than the other. IDK. Like I said, I'm not familiar with Denver's former DC and Wade Phillips but that's probably it.

fatbeard

Liked Posts:
well personally i think the foolish thing is to give up on the 2016 season in January of 2014. if we really were giving up for the next two seasons, and we don't value anyone over 30, then we should cut Jared Allen, Jeremiah Ratliff, Tim Jennings, Jermon Bushrod, Roberto Garza, Matt Forte, Josh Morgan, Ryan Mundy, Martellus Bennett, and Jay Cutler because they do us absolutely no good except that each make the team slightly better.

I didn't mean to suggest that the Bears should "give up" on 2016, rather that they should not foolishly sacrifice future cap flexibility by signing old, expensive, and injury-prone free agents in order to make the team slightly less worse in 2015. I look at a Patrick Willis signing a bit like a DeMarcus Ware/Jared Allen deal, in that you do it if you think you're a very good team that's one player away and are willing to give up cap flexibility in exchange for a deep playoff run the next year. It's the kind of deal that can either put you over the top or significantly hurt you if you misjudge.

theOHIOSTATE!

Liked Posts:
Finally a reasonable prospective FA signing for a team in Chi's rebuilding mode who should be looking a few yrs in the future.

I always liked Moore, but just don't overpay the man.

Colonel_Buendia

Liked Posts:
I didn't mean to suggest that the Bears should "give up" on 2016, rather that they should not foolishly sacrifice future cap flexibility by signing old, expensive, and injury-prone free agents in order to make the team slightly less worse in 2015. I look at a Patrick Willis signing a bit like a DeMarcus Ware/Jared Allen deal, in that you do it if you think you're a very good team that's one player away and are willing to give up cap flexibility in exchange for a deep playoff run the next year. It's the kind of deal that can either put you over the top or significantly hurt you if you misjudge.

a fair point and this could well be the case. i for sure wouldn't overpay for him, it definitely depends on his price tag. i think he'd probably come out somewhere between his current contract and the contract of someone like Dansby; say you pay that w/not much guaranteed money and with some injury/performance incentives built in, then i think you've retained your cap flexibility while also adding a solid veteran leader. he might not be interested in a lesser deal, or on the flip side maybe he really wants to play for fangio again, who knows.

i think the value of him coming here--cost permitting--is a solid veteran captain of the defense. if we're going to right the ship, we need accountability, responsibility, maturity, and leadership both on the sidelines and on the field, and he'd be able to provide that. in my mind we may not know what kind of talent we have on defense until we get good leaders to coach it out of them, so we may be able to field a good defense sooner than we think

SlickWilly

Team Ignore Member #2
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. Detroit Pistons
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels
If Willis comes cheap enough, sure.

His talents are undeniable, but he's been banged up the past few years while being on the wrong side of 30. If we dedicate a fair chunk of change on him and he can't regain his former durability...it'll be a bad sign for us.

I'm hoping the Bears plan on building something rather than going after a quick fix. The Bears must get younger/cheaper/deeper.

How the hell is a guy on the wrong side of 30 when he just turned 30 literally 4 days ago??????????

SlickWilly

Team Ignore Member #2
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. Detroit Pistons
  1. Chicago Bears
And to those "worried" about Willis' age think about this, Urlacher turned 30 in February of 2008 and we still got 5 seasons of excellent play out of him. Well, 4 since he was out all of 09. If we could sign Willis to a 3 to 5 year deal I'd do it in a heartbeat. This guy has been an All Pro pretty much his entire career.

theOHIOSTATE!

Liked Posts:
And to those "worried" about Willis' age think about this, Urlacher turned 30 in February of 2008 and we still got 5 seasons of excellent play out of him. Well, 4 since he was out all of 09. If we could sign Willis to a 3 to 5 year deal I'd do it in a heartbeat. This guy has been an All Pro pretty much his entire career.

If you think watch a lot of football and think the Bears got 5 seasons of "excellent" play out of Uralcher after 2008, there is a decent chance you are legally blind or functionally Special person.

theOHIOSTATE!

Liked Posts:
A top 3 LB in the league, 30 mil in cap space, top 10 pick in the draft. All star cast on offense. It's safe to say we can compete in 2015 if we can grab willis

No, no we can't.....just stop.

Liked Posts:
When 24 year old safeties hit the FA market, there is a reason.

Mostly that they're not any good.

Not the case. The Broncos have a lot to juggle in terms of who they keep. It's possible Moore is a guy who hits the FA market as a result.

When he was drafted, he said he grew up a Broncos fan. By the time it gets to this point, it becomes a business so it's doubtful he gives the Broncos a discount to stay with them.

But one thing to keep in mind is that he's from California and Jack Del Rio is the coach in Oakland now. So the rationale that he might follow Fox is also in play for the Raiders since another one of his old coaches is there.

Liked Posts:
If you think watch a lot of football and think the Bears got 5 seasons of "excellent" play out of Uralcher after 2008, there is a decent chance you are legally blind or functionally Special person.

It's not apples to apples anyway. Is it a certainty the Bears switch to the 3-4? If so, Willis would be more sheltered by being one of 4 linebackers instead of 3. Urlacher, in his later years, was still playing middle LB in the Tampa 2, which relies far more on athleticism. Also, you have to consider that you're not just getting a LB. You're getting a guy to help Fangio transition a defense. There's a base of knowledge and also a presumption of leadership qualities that Willis would bring in aiding that.

I think Willis could be a great acquisition for the Bears, especially in a 3-4. It would give the Bears that big dog manning the middle.

SlickWilly

Team Ignore Member #2
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. Detroit Pistons
  1. Chicago Bears

This really doesn't mean much coming from easily one of the biggest dipshits on the board.