'84 playoff win on 'Bears Classics' comcast

Sculpt

Liked Posts:
"1984 playoff win on 'Bears Classics'" -- This is on Comcast SportsNet now (Tues 1/27)

Anyone know how I can watch this online?
I don't have cable TV.

http://www.chicagobears.com/news/ar...Classics/016370d4-b588-4b02-bf5a-5ce3d07945e4

'84 playoff win on 'Bears Classics'

Posted 8 hours ago
mayer_larry_60x60.jpg
Larry Mayer Bears Senior Writer
The latest installment of the “Bears Classics” documentary series on Comcast SportsNet features the Bears’ 23-19 playoff win over the Redskins in Washington on Dec. 30, 1984.

The stunning victory over the two-time defending NFC champions and NFL Most Valuable Player Joe Theismann helped catapult the Bears to a Super Bowl title the following season.

Payton_inside012715.jpg
Walter Payton prepares to launch a 19-yard TD pass to Pat Dunsmore in the Bears' 1984 playoff win.
The hour-long documentary, subtitled “A Capital Gain,” debuts Tuesday at 8 p.m. (CT) and will be re-aired Saturday at 7 p.m. and again on Wednesday, Feb. 18 at 7 p.m.

It highlights the Bears’ first playoff victory since they won the 1963 NFL Championship. It was also the Redskins’ first postseason loss at RFK Stadium after seven straight wins.

The turning point of the game came on the second play of the second quarter after the Redskins, who were already leading 3-0, had reached the Bears’ 34.

After catching a short pass from Theismann over the middle, running back Joe Washington was obliterated by safety Todd Bell, causing a fumble that was recovered by linebacker Otis Wilson.

“Todd Bell hit Joe Washington so hard, his whole family felt it, and it was just, it was so inspiring, Hall of Fame defensive lineman Dan Hampton says in the documentary. “That’s when we basically started believing in ourselves.”

“After that, it looked like Theismann was looking at us and then looking downfield,” defensive tackle Steve McMichael said after the game.

Walter Payton’s 19-yard touchdown pass to tight end Pat Dunsmore on a halfback option gave the Bears a 10-3 lead in the second quarter. On the second play of the second half, Willie Gault caught a short pass from Steve Fuller and turned it into a 75-yard TD, widening the margin to 16-3.

The Redskins closed the gap to 16-10 on John Riggins’ 1-yard touchdown run with 9:35 left in the third quarter. But the Bears answered via Fuller’s 16-yard TD pass to Dennis McKinnon, increasing their lead to 23-10 five minutes later.

Washington cut the deficit to 23-17 on Riggins’ 2-yard touchdown run late in the third quarter, but the Redskins were held to zero net yards in the fourth quarter. The only points came when the Bears deliberately took a safety with 8:08 left to give their defense some breathing room.

“We showed the people on TV we are a force to be reckoned with,” Wilson said after the game.

The victory over the Redskins propelled the Bears into the NFC Championship Game in San Francisco, where they lost 23-0 to the 49ers. But the following season, the Monsters of the Midway went 15-1 en route to winning Super Bowl XX.

Sculpt

Liked Posts:
Anybody watch that last night?

I saw it live on TV in 1984. :p Great game. The Bears 84 D was scarier than the 85, actually, more sacks in '84. Anyway, I'd love to see it again.

(I don't have cable)

(will be re-aired on Comcast SportsNet Saturday (1/31) at 7 p.m. and again on Wednesday, Feb. 18 at 7 pm)

Omeletpants

Save America
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Colorado Rockies
  1. Atlanta United FC
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  2. Orlando Magic
  3. Phoenix Suns
  4. Sacramento Kings
  1. Columbus Blue Jackets
This is the one where Todd Bell destroyed their running back Washington and he was never the same after that. One of the most brutal hits ever

Sculpt

Liked Posts:
This is the one where Todd Bell destroyed their running back Washington and he was never the same after that. One of the most brutal hits ever
Oh, man! Helmet to helmet huge hit... Todd Bell broke Joe Washington's face mask, knocked Joe unconscious, & he fumbled the ball.

If anyone wants to see the way it was -- the NFC behemoths battling it out, with brutal physical hits, this was it.

Not to mention the geniuses of the time: Gibbs & Ryan.

Penny Traitor

バカでも才能は一つ
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:

I saw this posted too late, but got the DVR set for the replay. Will bump if they give some info about online content. 1984 was an exciting year with this game and the match-up with the Raiders being the best highlights.
Buddy Ryan took the NFL by storm...'85 was just unfinished business.

policeman

Son of beech
Liked Posts:
Hard to fathom the 85 Bears defense lost two starters, including Todd Bell,from the 84 team and still played great.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

TheWinman

2020 CCS Survivor Fantasy Football Champion
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish

I saw it live on TV in 1984. :p Great game. The Bears 84 D was scarier than the 85, actually, more sacks in '84. Anyway, I'd love to see it again.

(I don't have cable)

(will be re-aired on Comcast SportsNet Saturday (1/31) at 7 p.m. and again on Wednesday, Feb. 18 at 7 pm)

Not sure if the 84 D was scarier, but like you said they had more sacks. 84 was impressive because you can see what was unfolding for the following Year(s). i was at the Vikings/bears game at Soldier Field in 84 and we had 11 sacks that day, most of them in the 2nd half. The crowd was so pumped out watching the D it was unreal

policeman

Son of beech
Liked Posts:
I was at the 84 game vs the Packers. Ditka benched the infamous Rusty Lisch and had Payton playing QB for part of the second half. It was surreal.

FirstTimer

v. 2.0: Fully Modded
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Hard to fathom the 85 Bears defense lost two starters, including Todd Bell,from the 84 team and still played great.

Not really since the guys that replaced them were better.

policeman

Son of beech
Liked Posts:
Not really since the guys that replaced them were better.
Captain%20Obvious%20HotelsCom.jpg

Clearly- yes- the replacements were better. The point is who could have foreseen they would lose two starters- including Pro Bowler Todd Bell- and still have a better defense. Answer? Nobody. Buddy Ryan called Todd Bell the most important player on the 84 team. Not even Dave Duerson believed himself a better player than Bell prior to the 85 season. Pre-season predictions for that team were mixed- at best.