Until everybody is back, referendums are a waste of time

cjswan232482

Liked Posts:
For better or worse, Rose is still the straw and Noah is the barometer. They can win anywhere or lose to anybody. Almost rather get a lower seed if it means optimum health.

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
For better or worse, Rose is still the straw and Noah is the barometer. They can win anywhere or lose to anybody. Almost rather get a lower seed if it means optimum health.
It'll be next to impossible at this point to make up ground and get the #1 seed.. #2 is still very much in play and if they get healthy and get the chemistry going, I think they can easily move up to that #2 spot securing HCA the first two rounds (Though do they even want that?)

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
I think Pau has been every bit as important as Noah this year.
While I agree, this is a somewhat opposing view of Pau this season by Zach Lowe [Lowe still views him as "fabulous" and "damn good"]:

Pau Gasol — Chicago Bulls

Gasol has been fabulous, but count me among those who sense at least a slight dissonance between his killer numbers and actual level of play. Something just feels off. Gasol creates a ton of shots, but a lot of them return a middling bang for the buck. The Bulls have used him as a high-volume hub on the block, but Gasol is shooting just 40 percent on post-ups — including a ton of midrange jumpers, per Synergy.

That understates the value of Gasol’s inside game, since he draws help and tosses brilliant passes all over the court. Still, it’s unclear how much of a hit Chicago’s offense would really take if you gave all of Gasol’s minutes and touches to other players.

Even Gasol’s career-best rebounding numbers feel a bit inflated. Gasol is hoarding uncontested boards and snatching relatively fewer up-for-grabs rebounds, per NBA.com. The Bulls manage much better on the defensive glass when Gasol sits. He can’t jump, but Gasol has long arms, and he’s done a nice job protecting the basket. Gasol has struggled with the parts of defense that require more mobility, but he has owned the restricted area.

That’s in part because Chicago’s drop-back scheme[SUP]1[/SUP] plants him there. That used to be Joakim Noah’s territory. A lot of Gasol’s discrete skills, save for his passing, seem replaceable to at least some degree.

The sum total of Gasol’s skills — having one player capable of doing all this stuff — is not replaceable. That’s why Gasol is on this list. He might not be having the type of no-brainer All-Star season his surface numbers would suggest, but he’s been damn good for a Bulls team in need of an offensive stabilizer as Rose regains his feel.

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/nba-all-star-team-eastern-western-conference/

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

That game just really brought home how great Noah is when he is sound.

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I think Pau has been every bit as important as Noah this year.

I think he has been much better than Noah this year. As far as importance, though, I'm not sure. The importance of not having Noah sound, to me, is the biggest reason why their record isn't better than it is.

Axl Rose

and I knew the silence of the world
Liked Posts:
Even Gasol’s career-best rebounding numbers feel a bit inflated. Gasol is hoarding uncontested boards and snatching relatively fewer up-for-grabs rebounds, per NBA.com. The Bulls manage much better on the defensive glass when Gasol sits. He can’t jump, but Gasol has long arms, and he’s done a nice job protecting the basket. Gasol has struggled with the parts of defense that require more mobility, but he has owned the restricted area.

so i was right in my criticizing of Pau's rebounding then

awful might not be the word but he sure isn't as impactful as the numbers suggest

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
so i was right in my criticizing of Pau then

awful might not be the word but he sure isn't as impact as numbers suggest
Well his numbers are pretty high. I think what Lowe is getting at is that he's been good, but not that good. He most certainly has an impact...a big one as he combines a lot of skills that other guys have. He is not irreplaceable though. That's the gist I got.