Sox Sign Gordon Beckham: DFA Viciedo

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
I don't? Okay, then, educate me on it. And in the process, please teach me what kind of skills a "utility" player needs to have in order to help his team and how Beckham fill those requirements.

Don't worry about Capt and me. He's being obnoxious and I called him on it.

Utility is a guy that can fill in at multiple positions a couple of days a week. Beckham by trade is a SS. He can cover 3b and 2b as well. The utility guy should be able to cover defensively for the regulars. Gordon can do that.

I know what the saber stats say and most will also say that they are flawed severely but it's all we got. and I agree on both points. GG is a lot of popularity. The more they can refine it the better.

ChiSoxCity

Liked Posts:
Gordon is our magical unicorn.[emoji57]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
gordons value is defensive replacement at best. sure he can platoon with conor but i dont see a serious resurgence from him.

if you want to contend you have to have a steady infield. people saying he can start here and there is just dumb. you have to have your 1-9 be mostly the same players

if this team is contending at the deadline i would look to upgrade at 3b or at 2b

with cincy selling it looks like i wish we could have done something to get brandon phillips.

Sent from My Iphone 6 Plus Using Tapatalk

ChiSoxCity

Liked Posts:
If Gordy can hit .250 and stop pulling the ball so much, he would be a serviceable starting 2nd baseman.

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
gordons value is defensive replacement at best. sure he can platoon with conor but i dont see a serious resurgence from him.

if you want to contend you have to have a steady infield. people saying he can start here and there is just dumb. you have to have your 1-9 be mostly the same players

if this team is contending at the deadline i would look to upgrade at 3b or at 2b

with cincy selling it looks like i wish we could have done something to get brandon phillips.

I am very confident about 2nd base being better this year than last year. That is probably there best over-all position spot in their minor league system and as an odds players, I like the odds of finding one of several guys in the minors of being plenty better than Beckham last year. I also think that Gillespie will be okay as a left handed hitting 3b. To me, catching is the real hole with Flowers but I guess they can live with him as a guy who can occasionally walk into a pitch every so often.

My worry is that our outfield is so thin, especially if Garcia is lost again. Is Kubel still out available? I just might see what it would cost to bring him in as an insurance policy for a left handed bat. Unless they want to think about Wilkens as an outfielder.

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
If Gordy can hit .250 and stop pulling the ball so much, he would be a serviceable starting 2nd baseman.

Sure. But a lot of people have said that for a long time, right? But he can't. It is not in his brain cells to do that. He's got a twitch thing going on with his hands that I believe is impossible for him to get rid of. I believe that Stevenson and Konerko and others have tried like hell to break him of it but couldn't do it. They also spent a helluva lot of time with Flowers who also has a fucked up thing going on with his hands also.

Hitting a baseball is the hardest thing in all of sports to do as far as I am concerned. When Beckham or Flowers hit a ball hard, I believe that it is luck that they do it most of the time.

nickofypres

Super Nintendo Chalmers
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Toledo Rockets

no.

Last edited:

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:

Just doubtful he achieves that but I agree

Samurai

Ridiculum Anserini
Liked Posts:
Is that what all of that hair is covering up:)

Supposedly there's more. I've heard reports that he has a semi-demonic birthmark on his scalp. It was either 665 or 668...I can't remember.

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
I don't think bringing him back is a big deal really, at that price, but at some point why wouldn't you just take that same money and spend it on someone like him to roll the dice on the devil you don't know. They already probably know exactly what to expect for him, so me personally, would just roll the dice with his spot instead of bringing him back.