CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
Your opinion doesn't matter. Facts matter. The nice thing about a prospect who was a track star in high school is that we don't have to watch film of him and try to guess how fast he really is.

Landon Collins has been clocked at an actual track meet at 10.28 in the 100 meter dash. This isn't an opinion I've gleaned from watching him play football. This is an actual measurement of him sprinting at an actual event with fully automated timing. And this is world class speed. Period.

I've asked this before, worth it again I think: Is Landon Collins really a top 7 pick, or is he thought of as a top 7 pick because that is a glaring need of the Bears?

theOHIOSTATE!

Liked Posts:
Your opinion doesn't matter. Facts matter. The nice thing about a prospect who was a track star in high school is that we don't have to watch film of him and try to guess how fast he really is.

Landon Collins has been clocked at an actual track meet at 10.28 in the 100 meter dash. This isn't an opinion I've gleaned from watching him play football. This is an actual measurement of him sprinting at an actual event with fully automated timing. And this is world class speed. Period.

Recently?

If so, wow. It would be one of the biggest disparities between track speed and field speed i've ever seen in my life. The guy plays decently fast, but nowhere near that type of speed.

Also, 40 time and 100m dash times are different. Often times optimal sprinting (track) means you actually delay coming to a top speed whereas in 40 yd dashes its basically a test of mostly acceleration/. Online it has his camp times at the 40 in the high 4.4s...I could buy that.

All that being said he did flash great in line long speed in kick coverage.

He looks very average in coverage however...not exactly something you want in a top 10 picks at a secondary position, lol.

Sagbear

Liked Posts:
IMO he's not a top 10 pick, he is talented and has the tools but has not put it all together (pass coverage). He is still a first round safety probably 15-25 just not top 10.

fatbeard

Liked Posts:

No, he isn't worth a top 10 pick. Yes, he is being projected as one simply because he is the consensus top safety and the Bears have a glaring need. It's another disastrous crop of safeties this year, and that's why these guys keep getting inflated draft projections. Last year Clinton-Dix was a bottom 1st round pick and that's right about where he should have been drafted, and I'm not certain Collins is better than HCD was. Collins is a pure SS just like the egregiously over-drafted Pryor and the somewhat more reasonably over-drafted D. Buchannon of last year.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
No, he isn't worth a top 10 pick. Yes, he is being projected as one simply because he is the consensus top safety and the Bears have a glaring need. It's another disastrous crop of safeties this year, and that's why these guys keep getting inflated draft projections. Last year Clinton-Dix was a bottom 1st round pick and that's right about where he should have been drafted, and I'm not certain Collins is better than HCD was. Collins is a pure SS just like the egregiously over-drafted Pryor and the somewhat more reasonably over-drafted D. Buchannon of last year.
Well if there is one person in this thread who didn't need to answer this question it was you, it was more rhetorical for the Collins supporters.

RisWell

Liked Posts:
Recently?

If so, wow. It would be one of the biggest disparities between track speed and field speed i've ever seen in my life. The guy plays decently fast, but nowhere near that type of speed.

Also, 40 time and 100m dash times are different. Often times optimal sprinting (track) means you actually delay coming to a top speed whereas in 40 yd dashes its basically a test of mostly acceleration/. Online it has his camp times at the 40 in the high 4.4s...I could buy that.

He looks very average in coverage however...not exactly something you want in a top 10 picks at a secondary position, lol.
Collins is clearly the fastest player on the field and it shows. Name a safety who plays faster present or past?

RisWell

Liked Posts:
Safety is more valuable now then 3 years ago. The game is diet evolving more with the rule changes and QBs

theOHIOSTATE!

Liked Posts:
Collins is clearly the fastest player on the field and it shows. Name a safety who plays faster present or past?

Polamalu.

That wasn't hard at all.

Guy ran in the high 4.4s......that isn't otherworldly at all for the SEC and I doubt he was the fastest on the field against LSU, but I am not an expert on LSU's skill position players for 2014, so whatever.

GUY RAN A 4.48.......wake up.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
Safety is more valuable now then 3 years ago. The game is diet evolving more with the rule changes and QBs

I've asked this before, worth it again I think: Is Landon Collins really a top 7 pick, or is he thought of as a top 7 pick because that is a glaring need of the Bears?

RisWell

Liked Posts:
No he isn't a top 10 pick. There are 10 or more players that are rated higher.

Collins is a better looking safety then Thomas, Barron, Vecarro, Dix, Pryor when they got drafted. Berry coming out of college looked like the real deal. He could cover like a corner and he played very fast.

Thomas is probably the best safety in football and Dix looks like he is gonna be a star.

Wild_x_Card

Liked Posts:
Cooper is the only player on Bama that currently has world class speed. What Collins did in highschool as a track stud does not show up on tape.

fatbeard

Liked Posts:
Cooper is the only player on Bama that currently has world class speed. What Collins did in highschool as a track stud does not show up on tape.

Most projections have Cooper running in the 4.5's.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats

Collins is a better looking safety then Thomas, Barron, Vecarro, Dix, Pryor when they got drafted. Berry coming out of college looked like the real deal. He could cover like a corner and he played very fast.

Thomas is probably the best safety in football and Dix looks like he is gonna be a star.
So maybe instead we should be focusing on that 7th pick?

didshereallysaythat

Liked Posts:

Dix is terrible in coverage. The only thing he can do is hit.

Wild_x_Card

Liked Posts:

Most projections have Cooper running in the 4.5's.
He's been clocked in the low 4.3s. Not that that really matters because when you watch him run on tape he fly's by people like they're running backwards. The guy is silly fast.

Da Coach

Liked Posts:

He might be fast, but he is no Airesse Curry.

Liked Posts:
With the vast amount of needs this teams has, there is no way I spend a first round pick on a box safety. If I want a strict box safety, I'm taking the hard hitting jacky Tartt in round 3 out of Samford. Not much of a difference between he & Collins minus the fact that Tartt played for a much smaller school but skillsets are identical and both would serve the same purpose.

Bort

Liked Posts:
Recently?

This is true. 100 meters is almost 3 times as long as 40 yards, so the 100 meter rewards top speed rather than acceleration.

Having that extra gear is very useful, though. An example Bears fans should remember is Marcus Robinson, who had a pretty good 40 yard dash time, but was a world class 100 meter sprinter. He wasn't the quickest guy off the line of scrimmage, but he had that extra gear, and nobody ever caught him from behind once he hit it.

pseudonym

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
no worries, the bears won't go safety at #7.