Rizzo vs Freddie Freeman

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
http://espn.go.com/blog/sweetspot/post/_/id/54824/whos-better-freeman-versus-rizzo

Interesting he threw this in at the end.

If all this is pointing to me saying I think Rizzo is the better player, you're right. I believe in last year's improvement and wouldn't be shocked if there's a few more home runs to unlock. He has good patience and his strikeout rate was actually lower than Freeman's. If the Cubs are the surprise contenders than many believe they can be, Rizzo could be your sleeper National League MVP candidate for 2015.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
I know this is about Rizzo, but who are the "many" that believe the Cubs can be surprise contenders this season?

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
I know this is about Rizzo, but who are the "many" that believe the Cubs can be surprise contenders this season?

Most projections. Pecota has them one game out of the playoffs. Fangraphs had them at 84 wins IIRC. It's obviously not a general public thing presently but given the projections I think some hype will start to build toward spring training. I think it's a bit early personally but i think you'll start to hear more sports type places pick up on it especially with the addition of Maddon. They have to often throw a surprise team out and the cubs are as good as any other.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
Sporting News has them winning the WS

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

It will have to take the specs not flopping. could they surprise? of course. I dont think this is that year. Imo this is a pivotal season to see 1) what you have. 2) getting these guys mlb at bats.

Sent from My Iphone 6 Plus Using Tapatalk

CSF77

Liked Posts:
It comes down to Bryant in the end. If he puts up a all star type rookie season then we could be talking about the play offs. That is if Rizzo and Castro give equal production.

Remember when Soler came up Rizzo went down with an injury. Then Castro was lost for the season right before Rizzo came back. So we have not seen a line up with Rizzo, Castro and Soler in it. Add Bryant and this team should generate runs.

That is why I'm not counting on Baez at this point. The team should be good enough not to depend on him.

They addresed 2 weakness this off season. Lead off and a TOR to counter Arrieta. Then they added a catcher (unexpected), another late inning guy (unexpected).

If you look at it they may just take off this year. There are a few guys they added to lead the youth. It is not just Castro and Rizzo any more.

Bear Pride

Bears Gonna Shock the World!
Liked Posts:
It comes down to Bryant in the end. If he puts up a all star type rookie season then we could be talking about the play offs. That is if Rizzo and Castro give equal production.

Remember when Soler came up Rizzo went down with an injury. Then Castro was lost for the season right before Rizzo came back. So we have not seen a line up with Rizzo, Castro and Soler in it. Add Bryant and this team should generate runs.

That is why I'm not counting on Baez at this point. The team should be good enough not to depend on him.

They addresed 2 weakness this off season. Lead off and a TOR to counter Arrieta. Then they added a catcher (unexpected), another late inning guy (unexpected).

If you look at it they may just take off this year. There are a few guys they added to lead the youth. It is not just Castro and Rizzo any more.

For me, I am excited for the Cubs this year. However, after the Bears season, I'm trying my best to be level headed about expectations. However, the Cubs have made some really nice additions, and they were actually playing pretty good ball at the end of last year.

One thing about the Cubs will be the momentum. We all know the Cubs have a large audience. If they do play well, they could really become the media darlings next year. The thing with young players is sometimes they buy into this kind of thing.

The clubhouse veterans coupled with Maddon could really keep the young guys in line as well, imo. The Cubs young prospects are not a joke, they could really explode onto the scene. Winning some games early could really become contagious for the Cubs, especially with some improvements to Wrigley.

The arguments that the Cubs are young and have not proven anything are legit, but I, for one, wouldn't be surprised if all of a sudden, they surprise the heck out of everyone, even Cubs fans.

Shawon0Meter

PLAYOFFS?!?
Donator
Liked Posts:
Wins are important this year. Realistically, 81 wins is a goal I want to see happen as a fan. If they somehow take a step back in wins, that will really scare me.

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
For me, I am excited for the Cubs this year. However, after the Bears season, I'm trying my best to be level headed about expectations. However, the Cubs have made some really nice additions, and they were actually playing pretty good ball at the end of last year.

One thing about the Cubs will be the momentum. We all know the Cubs have a large audience. If they do play well, they could really become the media darlings next year. The thing with young players is sometimes they buy into this kind of thing.

The clubhouse veterans coupled with Maddon could really keep the young guys in line as well, imo. The Cubs young prospects are not a joke, they could really explode onto the scene. Winning some games early could really become contagious for the Cubs, especially with some improvements to Wrigley.

The arguments that the Cubs are young and have not proven anything are legit, but I, for one, wouldn't be surprised if all of a sudden, they surprise the heck out of everyone, even Cubs fans.

media darlings or an audience doesnt make you hit the ball,field better or throw strikes.

there is no connection between "contagious" "winning" with improvements to wrigley

Bear Pride

Liked Posts:
media darlings or an audience doesnt make you hit the ball,field better or throw strikes.

there is no connection between "contagious" "winning" with improvements to wrigley

I disagree. The players and the fans can feed of each other, and I see the potential for everything to come together and be very exciting for the Cubs.

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I disagree. The players and the fans can feed of each other, and I see the potential for everything to come together and be very exciting for the Cubs.

It can come together yes, but fans won't make a spec turn into a mlb player is all I'm saying. If the Cubs are winning the team will be happy than the fans

Sent from My 1998 Palm Pilot Using Tapatalk

Bear Pride

Liked Posts:
It can come together yes, but fans won't make a spec turn into a mlb player is all I'm saying. If the Cubs are winning the team will be happy than the fans

Sent from My 1998 Palm Pilot Using Tapatalk

I never said anything would be cause and effect.... the point was that it could be a combination of things.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
So, if it turns out to be Baez and not Bryant that makes the Cubs contender do I get a cyber bj?

hyatt151

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

That's just being smart, and there's nothing wrong with that.

Liked Posts:

If you're acknowledging that Bryant's contribution is integral to the season, are you going to give mgt a pass if they keep him in the minors for the first month?

Liked Posts:
Btw, I saw that hit distribution chart for Freeman. He definitely is more skilled in how he is better able to use all fields. By comparison, Rizzo's a pull hitter.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
If you're acknowledging that Bryant's contribution is integral to the season, are you going to give mgt a pass if they keep him in the minors for the first month?

I get it where they are coming from. There is a strong chance that he may end up with a 300 mil offer and leaves the Cubs. At that point all of us would be calling the management group stupid for losing that year for 3 weeks.

The only reason why they should start him opening day is if Boras does a starter deal that gives the Cubs that 7 years of control. Then every one is happy.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
I get it where they are coming from. There is a strong chance that he may end up with a 300 mil offer and leaves the Cubs. At that point all of us would be calling the management group stupid for losing that year for 3 weeks.

The only reason why they should start him opening day is if Boras does a starter deal that gives the Cubs that 7 years of control. Then every one is happy.

The Cubs are never ever going to see that year. But they may see the playoffs in 2015. No reason to keep him down. None.