Defensive Depth (Update: Clendening traded for Vancouver prospect Gustav Forsling

DMelt36

Bolland > You
Liked Posts:
Starting to get more and more worried about this aspect of the Hawks this year.

What's made the Hawks so good in the last few seasons was having two solid pairings that could be counted on to handle just about anyone: Keith-Seabrook and Oduya-Hjalmarsson.

Well, this year, three of those four are still playing well. But Oduya's game is starting to concern me. Just doesn't look to be quite as good as he was in recent seasons.

Anyone else seeing this and also drawing some concerns from it?

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Oduya has always looked hot/cold to me even before this year.... he gets in modes where he just plays hot potato with the puck in his own zone.

Other times he is fine.... I wonder if we should try Keith/Oduya and Seabrook/Hammer.... Oduya might need a guy like Keith rock solid next to him in order to pick his game up. Sometimes Hammer is that guy and other times he is not good enough to stabilize his partner and Oduya starts losing it.

Sticking Oduya on the 3rd pairing with T-Roz is the worst for him IMO.... he won't face the top tier players but he will still go full potato.

Shantz My Pants

Liked Posts:
I'm not really worried, while yes we don't have a lot of NHL defensive depth, we have quite a few defensive prospects in Rockford (Clendening, Johns, Dahlbeck, Pokka) that will be pushing soon to make the roster and should be able to potentially take Oduya's spot as our #4. Dahlbeck is pretty much a Hjalmarsson clone and he's already been called up once so I don't think he's too far off from jumping in as a shut down dman.

Sent from my Texas Instrument Calculator

DMelt36

Bolland > You
Liked Posts:
I'm not really worried, while yes we don't have a lot of NHL defensive depth, we have quite a few defensive prospects in Rockford (Clendening, Johns, Dahlbeck, Pokka) that will be pushing soon to make the roster and should be able to potentially take Oduya's spot as our #4. Dahlbeck is pretty much a Hjalmarsson clone and he's already been called up once so I don't think he's too far off from jumping in as a shut down dman.

Should've been a tad more specific in that, while I do believe those prospects are good, I don't see any of those prospects helping the Hawks win the Cup this year. And that's my main focus here.

Shantz My Pants

Liked Posts:
Should've been a tad more specific in that, while I do believe those prospects are good, I don't see any of those prospects helping the Hawks win the Cup this year. And that's my main focus here.

I have a strong feeling StanBo makes a trade for a rental near the deadline to strengthen our defense. Sekera and Gleason might be decent pick ups with Carolina going for a lottery pick and both being Ufa's at the end of the season.

DMelt36

Bolland > You
Liked Posts:
I have a strong feeling StanBo makes a trade for a rental near the deadline to strengthen our defense. Sekera and Gleason might be decent pick ups with Carolina going for a lottery pick and both being Ufa's at the end of the season.

Yeah, I think they're going to need a D-man rental pickup at the deadline if they're going to make this Cup run a successful one. Just doesn't seem like the current roster configuration can get it done.

Shantz My Pants

Liked Posts:
Yeah, I think they're going to need a D-man rental pickup at the deadline if they're going to make this Cup run a successful one. Just doesn't seem like the current roster configuration can get it done.

I agree. I don't think Rozsi is a 5th dman anymore, let alone a #6 nor do I think Runblad is that good defensively. Wouldn't mind seeing a guy who can play the PK as well as clear the crease take on the 5th spot especially with playoff hockey being as it is. Gleason would be ideal due to his rugged nature and good positioning. Plus, he'd come cheap for the rest of the year.

Wonder if Carolina would take Bickell for him?

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
Can't wait to hear Pez's take on Oduya, beat he beats him up pretty good.

Reactions: Rex

DMelt36

Bolland > You
Liked Posts:
I agree. I don't think Rozsi is a 5th dman anymore, let alone a #6 nor do I think Runblad is that good defensively. Wouldn't mind seeing a guy who can play the PK as well as clear the crease take on the 5th spot especially with playoff hockey being as it is. Gleason would be ideal due to his rugged nature and good positioning. Plus, he'd come cheap for the rest of the year.

I could see the Hawks moving Bickell in the offseason. But right before the playoffs, which is when Bickell tends to play at a high level? I'd have a hard time making that move.

Shantz My Pants

Liked Posts:
It would make me less worried about the potential destruction this off season.

Tater

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

I love that idea. We will be getting TVR back too at some point. I really liked his game before the injury. Hopefully he comes back playing the same way.

ClydeLee

Liked Posts:
I don't think they're gonna make any moves that really improve them. I don't think they're in a strong enough position to do so unless they somehow moved Rozi along with draft pieces for someone. I think how well TVR can come back may help out the mix of the team and maybe he can make the 3rd pair with Rozi well enough to use. I've seen Oduya look worse without Hammer but he's still mostly good enough to play that same role when they're combined. With Rozi or Runblad he isn't very effective

I've never got the justification of making an offseason helping move that is far more severely damaging to the actual playoff push though.

BlackHawkPaul

Fartbarf
Donator
Liked Posts:
It would make me less worried about the potential destruction this off season.

I don't think you'll see the movement like '10, but #10 will probably be sacrificed.
Seabrook is going to command some serious coin when his UFA is up.

Capt. Serious

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Losing TVR has hurt the third pairing.

Guy was that good. Hopefully he can come back soon.

DMelt36

Bolland > You
Liked Posts:
I love that idea. We will be getting TVR back too at some point. I really liked his game before the injury. Hopefully he comes back playing the same way.

Loved TVR, too. Playoffs are a different beast, and he is still a rookie.

I think TVR would be fine on the third pairing. So, right now, the Hawks have 3 d-men worthy of the top four spots in 2, 4, and 7. That's where the majority of my concern lies.

Rex

Chief Blackcock
Liked Posts:
my concern right now is WHAT THE FUCK IS ROZEY DOING ON THE PK?!?

Spunky Porkstacker

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
^^^^ Maybe they have hopes of him adapting to the pk style of Sopel... aka the human bruise.

Rex

Chief Blackcock
Liked Posts:
^^^^ Maybe they have hopes of him adapting to the pk style of Sopel... aka the human bruise.

they have a better chance at turning Brad Richards into the team enforcer.