Bears are 10 Above Average players away from Super Bowl contention

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Same deal with Bushrod I think. Not at all comfortable with him as the blind side tackle in a passing game that isn't completely centered around screens and 3 step drops.

Agree.

I think the #1 need on the team - especially when drafting this high - is a premier LT. You can't get them lower in the draft. You need to take advantage of the high draft pick and get a guy who can anchor the line for a long time. Slauson, Long, new LT, Bushrod at RT, upgrade at C with mid-round pick - that's a line that can play well.

Defensive problems notwithstanding, you need to get that LT. As badly as we need a Safety, we need to be thinking LT at #7, not a Safety that high.

Now, is there one this year?

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Same here and it's not like he's a stud in the run game so I question his usefulness on the right side as well. We're probably best off finding that RT or hope Mills can play once 100% and giving our LT help instead of our RT.

I don't know if there's a sure thing LT in this draft but if Pace thinks there is, I'm OK with that at 7.

So, keep Bushrod, design plays around getting him help because he isn't getting the job done by himself, all with a turnstile at RT? That's disaster.

Penny Traitor

バカでも才能は一つ
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Same deal with Bushrod I think. Not at all comfortable with him as the blind side tackle in a passing game that isn't completely centered around screens and 3 step drops.
Agreed. I know DL is the sexy pick at seven, but if we can nail down a stud at LT finally...I would be doing cartwheels. See if Bushrod is serviceable at RT and look to move on from him and Mills the following year.

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
Was that a jab at Mick51?
No, I believe it has been revealed in the past that PFF uses unpaid europeans with their vast knowledge and exposure to the NFL to grade the players. Their business model is amazing. Offer tedious menial tasks which they say will require hours and hours of work for no pay arrived to with no knowledge of situation, assignment, or circumstance and sell those results to NFL ravenous fans and some teams as truths based on some concocted formula.

If you were spitballing ideas with buddies and you said, "I want to create a website selling in depth NFL grades with a system I make up and have random people do all the work for free", who would believe that was a $1M idea? But there it is. You just never know.

Last edited:

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Was that a jab at Mick51?
Not sure we have any posters who have lived in Europe other than myself and Nick, and i think we both have jobs, and I don't think either of us have been particularly obnoxious about pretending to be any more qualified than anyone else about coaches.

Edit: nvm

GBlaze08

Member in Ommys mouth
Liked Posts:
Not sure we have any posters who have lived in Europe other than myself and Nick, and i think we both have jobs, and I don't think either of us have been particularly obnoxious about pretending to be any more qualified than anyone else about coaches.

Edit: nvm

It was meant as a combo. You and Nick were the only Europeans I could think of and BF51 is the only obviously jobless poster, hence Mick51. Not sure what he was trying to say.

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Agreed. I know DL is the sexy pick at seven, but if we can nail down a stud at LT finally...I would be doing cartwheels. See if Bushrod is serviceable at RT and look to move on from him and Mills the following year.
Yeah a quality tackle on either side would be fine with me. Plenty good pass rushers should be around in the 2nd/3rd rounds.

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
It was meant as a combo. You and Nick were the only Europeans I could think of and BF51 is the only obviously jobless poster, hence Mick51. Not sure what he was trying to say.
To be fair to Nick, he's the only real European. My dad was American and I was born a US citizen so I don't know that I really count :(

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Didn't you know, PFF doesnt have a grading system for coaches so they are meaningless. But if they get one, Im sure there are some "qualified" jobless euro's all set to help grade them.

timthumb.php

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
i don't buy it. my biggest problem with evaluation tools like pff are that they don't take into account coaching. were players put in the best place to be successful? how does a toxic environment with terrible coaches play into their evaluation? does play calling on both sides of the ball enter into consideration? predictability can give the opponent an advantage and make good players look bad. not making the right calls on defense or the offensive line can make good players look bad.

bears fans are going to see what real coaches can do this year. the bears have a lot more talent then they're given credit for. the 2014 bears were a failure because of a clueless and ineffectual coaching. there was no leadership from trestman or tucker. no accountability. no control over the players. trestman's offense was one dimensional and predictable. tucker ran a vanilla system that refused to challenge receivers or scheme in any way to take things away from opposing offenses.

personally, i think with better coaching and the exact same roster as last year, this is an 8-10 win team. i can't stress enough how terrible trestman and his staff were on every level. there's no way you can make these kinds of evaluations with coaching like this.

I've been saying this the whole time on here. Just adding the coaches we've added makes us a better team. There's a lot of talent on this team young and veteran that will be much better next year under our new coaching staff that commands the respect that nobody had for our staff last year. If R.Pace and J.Fox decide they want to hit the free agent market in a way that they want to turn this team around in 1 year then i think with the right moves that can be done but they might see it as a 2 or 3 year project so we'll have to wait and see what direction they decide to go. If they decide to fix it next year then i think we'll be in contention for the playoffs next year.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
What is it FACTUALLY, you aren't agreeing with?

What's 9-7 going to accomplish next yr exactly?

I was right this yr and no one admits it...lol.

You're asking for facts but haven't given any facts.

FatBabiesHaveNoPride

Doors that go like this.
Liked Posts:
I stopped reading at PFF.

Go through each of the teams on their list and see who they rank where. It's ridiculous.

Fuck PFF. Go to the eye test. Look at the two teams who will play on Sunday.

- COMPLETE football teams
- Strong Coaching
- QBs who don't make mistakes (Wilson in NFCG being the notable exception)

We can list them - the Bears need:

- QB who doesn't make mistakes
- RT
- Center
- RB #2
- DE (injuries a big concern)
- 2, possibly 3 starting LBs
- 1 or more starting safeties
- 2 starting CBs

But by saying 10 players - if we assume ST is a given, that's effectively 10/22 starters that need upgrading - or half.

They are far away.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange

Lets see what the new staff thinks about Where Bushrod and Long should be playing on the line cause there's a good chance that Long could be at LT and Bushrod at RT next year.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
Which SPECIFIC POINTS do you disagree with?

Do we have more than one quality Corner we can be solid on?

Do we have even one quality starting S on the roster?

Do we have even one above average LB we know will peform at a solid starting level next season?

Do we have a quality edge rusher?

Do we have a quality starting C?

Do we have 2 quality starting OTs?

Are you sure BM is going to regain form and actually get open down the field now that he is in his 30s?

Is your best DT still 34 and your only other impact interior DLman coming off a outlier season in his contract yr?

Is you most effective DE coming off a catastrophic late season injury? Can you count on him being back 100 percent next yr?

Cutlerrrrrrr..............

That's too many question marks to think there going to be making the playoffs next yr, sorry folks.

I disagree with a few of your points but by experience i know it's not worth arguing them with you because you're not logical and think whatever you say is right even though it's not.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
Agree. Bushrod doesn't seem powerful enough for RT. More of an athlete than a mauler so you know he's already at his best position, just not the answer there. This team really needs two tackles.

Do you think Bushrod could play at guard? If so then maybe a switch in positions with Long could be the right move?

didshereallysaythat

Liked Posts:
So let me get this straight. The Bears are 10 above average players away from being as good as the Cowboys who are apparently the only team that can contend for the Superbowl, even though they did not win the superbowl?

FatBabiesHaveNoPride

Doors that go like this.
Liked Posts:
I disagree with a few of your points but by experience i know it's not worth arguing them with you because you're not logical and think whatever you say is right even though it's not.

The first smart thing you've ever typed on this forum.

theOHIOSTATE!

Liked Posts:

I thought it was bc I didn't provide facts?

Interesting...

It's ok, i've been outmatched before too; it was this Russian Jewish chick in AP European History and she probably had an IQ of 160.

It's good to know where you are on the totem pole.

hyatt151

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I have to disagree with you. I think rebuilding is a bit of a cliche anymore. It will take time for the players to adjust to new coaches and scheme. I don't think this team needs rebuilt from the ground up. It's just impossible to do anymore. If these coaches want to be employed from more than a year or two they are going to have to coach up some players. There is a lot of untapped potential on the roster and there are a few that will never reach that potential. Maybe 2017 for legit super bowl contention if things are going well but the team should be competing for a playoff spot in 2016. You may be right on not contending in 2015 but I wouldn't be that surprised if they did.

For the defense, the only constant was that everyone looked bad. Tucker ran a poor scheme, didn't develop hardly any talent and was undisciplined. There has been one player on the D that has shown any kind of progression and development and that's Paea. There are guys on the roster that aren't even close to reaching their potential. There is a lot of evaluation left to do on this defense. This year the players should be put in the best possible position to succeed and then they can truly be evaluated. I wouldn't be surprised to find 5-6 guys currently on the roster to emerge as quality starters.

For the offense, we all know the story with Cutler. We all also seem to look past how long ago he took the bears to the NFC championship game with nobody at WR. Cutler sure as hell isn't the answer, but it is possible to win with him. Pieces are in place on the offense to put up enough points to win every single week. They were the #2 offense in 2013. Add a starting right tackle and a speed element at WR and there is no reason this offense shouldn't score at least 20 points ever week. You can win with that in the NFL.

The Bears are 1-7 the last 2 years against the Packers and Lions, throw in an apparently brutal 2015 schedule and it tells me we have little hope of contending for a playoff spot in 2015. Weirder things have happened, but the division seems a bit to tough at this point.

theOHIOSTATE!

Liked Posts:
I stopped reading at PFF.

Go through each of the teams on their list and see who they rank where. It's ridiculous.

Fuck PFF. Go to the eye test. Look at the two teams who will play on Sunday.

- COMPLETE football teams
- Strong Coaching
- QBs who don't make mistakes (Wilson in NFCG being the notable exception)

We can list them - the Bears need:

- QB who doesn't make mistakes
- RT
- Center
- RB #2
- DE (injuries a big concern)
- 2, possibly 3 starting LBs
- 1 or more starting safeties
- 2 starting QBs

But by saying 10 players - if we assume ST is a given, that's effectively 10/22 starters that need upgrading - or half.

They are far away.

Yup.

The article is a joke as is anyone who thinks this roster is uber talented and a couple of moves and a coaching change away from SB contention.

Can't fix dumb......