Pace Of Play And Increasing Offense

ChiSoxCity

Liked Posts:
This makes no sense.

He's saying if pitchers get penalized for pickoff attempts, baserunners will start taking bigger leads. Rules like that would just fuck up the balance of the game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ChiSoxCity

Liked Posts:
There are multiple ways for pitchers to help the catcher out that do not involve throwing over to 1B. Limiting the throws over would actually make them use their heads a bit more. Any dumb clod can throw over to first forever.

Batters who manage to get to first base will essentially be awarded a double if you restrict pitchers from holding runners on 1st. It would be too easy to steal or get to 2nd. Double plays would be affected as well.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
He's saying if pitchers get penalized for pickoff attempts, baserunners will start taking bigger leads. Rules like that would just (mess) up the balance of the game.

:clap:

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
we don't need 5 minutes worth of commercials or advertisements between half innings.. think about it , that over an hour worth of non baseball action every game

That's money out of players and owners pockets....not going to happen

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
There are multiple ways for pitchers to help the catcher out that do not involve throwing over to 1B. Limiting the throws over would actually make them use their heads a bit more. Any dumb clod can throw over to first forever.

Without a pick there's nothing to hold the runner. That's a massive problem.

Yes anyone can throw over, only those good at it can actually cause a runner to be picked

chibears55

Liked Posts:
That's money out of players and owners pockets....not going to happen
Your late to the party..
I already confirmed it wouldn't happen because of that reason but i do stand by that being the biggest reason for longer games

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
Your late to the party..
I already confirmed it wouldn't happen because of that reason but i do stand by that being the biggest reason for longer games

Sorry...had three hours of shoe shopping...for women's shoes...and I kept my mouth shut.

Liked Posts:
He's saying if pitchers get penalized for pickoff attempts, baserunners will start taking bigger leads. Rules like that would just fuck up the balance of the game.

If that's what he meant to say, that was an amazingly inarticulate way of saying it.

What balance? Some fat guy trying to stifle one of the most exciting plays in the game with an infinite number of throws while ridiculously elongating the game is balance? And you're wrong. The pitchers being required to be more judicious in throwing over doesn't mean base runners will want to get picked off.

Throwing over to first shouldn't come without a cost. When you put down a sacrifice bunt to move a runner over, you don't get that out back just because the batter didn't take a full swing.

Like I said, the pitcher would have to be judicious in throwing over. And after a couple of pick off throws the runner would likewise have to weigh the risk of getting thrown out with the hitter on the verge of being walked. This tension is better use of the word "balance" than this broken part of the game.

Again, the rules of baseball weren't delivered on stone tablets from the top of the mountain. It's evolved over the years with more radical changes than this. Just take the DH as an example.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
Batters who manage to get to first base will essentially be awarded a double if you restrict pitchers from holding runners on 1st. It would be too easy to steal or get to 2nd. Double plays would be affected as well.

Only those who haven't played or coached at a highly competitive level would think this.

Liked Posts:

Yes anyone can throw over, only those good at it can actually cause a runner to be picked

I don't think you understand what was being discussed. The rule change we were discussing involves a pitcher throwing over costing him a ball on the hitter. If a guy takes a massive lead, what pitcher isn't going to trade an out for ball one?

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini

I didn't suggest they couldn't pick. I suggested yo cap the number of throws. There is a difference.

JP Hochbaum

Liked Posts:
I would consider limiting the number of pitching changes that can occur in a 9 inning game to 4, maybe 5 pitchers max and eliminate some of the LHP/RHB matchup for one batter pitcher nonsense. Only allow the pitcher to throw over to the bag twice for each batter when holding a runner on. Also drop the mound and make it flat.

This. The prevalence of specialty pitching in late innings is what brings up strikeouts more, IMO.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
best way to speed up the game besides stop having the batter adjust his crotch and gloves after every pitch and the pitcher scratching his ass and walking around the mound after every pitch is limiting the time between half innings...

we don't need 5 minutes worth of commercials or advertisements between half innings.. think about it , that over an hour worth of non baseball action every game

put a time limit to like 3 mins between half innings to get started

as far as replay goes, they need to stop the managers from walking out there wasting time to see if they should review it or not..
once they step out of the dug out that should count as a replay review against them..

This is my #1 also. It is ridiculous watching guys like Skip Schumaker step out and adjust both gloves after every single pitch, even when he doesn't move the bat. Even Cardinal fans used to get sick of it.

Lowering the mound and limiting pickoff throws and pitching changes profoundly affect the game itself. Limiting the batter stepping out has no negative effect, since there is zero benefit to it anyway.

A pitch clock seems reasonable to me, too. The pitchers won't like it, but there has to be some reasonable amount of time they get to throw a pitch. That is the #1 factor in length of games, to me. A 3-2 game with Rick Sutcliffe on the mound lasted 45 minutes or more longer than a 3-2 game with Greg Maddux on the mound. They should have some leeway. All pitchers don't work exactly alike and they shouldn't be clocked to the point where they are adversely affected, but something has to be done.

I am afraid this new commissioner is interested in doing something drastic to make his mark. I hope that doesn't happen.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
I don't think you understand what was being discussed. The rule change we were discussing involves a pitcher throwing over costing him a ball on the hitter. If a guy takes a massive lead, what pitcher isn't going to trade an out for ball one?

Calling a ball for a pick off throw is flat out crazy. Pitchers will almost never throw to first, and slower guys will get "cheap" stolen bases.

You say "trade an out for a throw" like a pickoff when a guy has large lead is a sure thing. It's not that simple.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
If that's what he meant to say, that was an amazingly inarticulate way of saying it.

What balance? Some fat guy trying to stifle one of the most exciting plays in the game with an infinite number of throws while ridiculously elongating the game is balance? And you're wrong. The pitchers being required to be more judicious in throwing over doesn't mean base runners will want to get picked off.

Throwing over to first shouldn't come without a cost. When you put down a sacrifice bunt to move a runner over, you don't get that out back just because the batter didn't take a full swing.

Like I said, the pitcher would have to be judicious in throwing over. And after a couple of pick off throws the runner would likewise have to weigh the risk of getting thrown out with the hitter on the verge of being walked. This tension is better use of the word "balance" than this broken part of the game.

Again, the rules of baseball weren't delivered on stone tablets from the top of the mountain. It's evolved over the years with more radical changes than this. Just take the DH as an example.

While I respect your opinion it's about the worst thing ever posted. Allowing a pitch count to change because of a throw to a "running base" is insane. It would make the sport a game.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:

First I understand it well. In the thread you are the one admitting to a comprehension problem.

Second runners take big leads now. The pickoff is what gets a runner back to the base. By penalizing allowing the batter to have a free ball is such a large change that Parade and you have suggested to destroy the game. Neither of you have considered how massive of a change that would be.

You've both allowed your hatred of game length to prevent your brain from thinking. You've thrown the balance out of whack and in attempts to speed the game up I'd be willing to say you'd make it longer with the higher offense that 100% would occur. More than likely it would lead to more pitching changes and more mound visits.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
I didn't suggest they couldn't pick. I suggested yo cap the number of throws. There is a difference.

And no one is going to risk a free ball to a batter unless the base runner is dumb by taking too large of a lead. The whole focus would be on the runner instead of the pitcher/batter matchup