CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
Ya think? (Honest question, not belittling)

I dunno if the integration has made all the difference it was hoping to make outside of easier travel.
Don't take my word for it. From the article-

Then along came Questec, the computerized pitch-tracking system, followed by Zone Evaluation, the current version tied in to MLB’s PITCHf/x system. With a tremendous degree of accuracy – especially in recent years – the systems tracked textbook balls and strikes, and the home-plate umpires’ performances were graded on a nightly basis. Over time, not only did umpires’ strike zones move down to the knees, they went to the hollow and even a smidge below.

Umpires get graded. The data supports that they are getting more accurate.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
Don't take my word for it. From the article-

Umpires get graded. The data supports that they are getting more accurate.

Follow up (Cause I am still confused a bit)

More accurate to the rule book?

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
Follow up (Cause I am still confused a bit)

More accurate to the rule book?
Yes. IOW, before pitch tracking data was available, the MLB changed the strike zone to encourage umpires calling strikes at the knees. That zone wasn't created to call pitches below the knees, even though the rule reads that way. They want to move the K zone back where it was, because the umpires/grading will effectively call the zone as it was meant to be before they changed the zone last time. Does that make sense?

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
Yes. IOW, before pitch tracking data was available, the MLB changed the strike zone to encourage umpires calling strikes at the knees. That zone wasn't created to call pitches below the knees, even though the rule reads that way. They want to move the K zone back where it was, because the umpires/grading will effectively call the zone as it was meant to be before they changed the zone last time. Does that make sense?

Gotcha. Yes, makes sense.

You think they'd be calling the high strike more with that info. I wonder why they don't