What is the board consensus on Vic Beasley?

Chris Sojka

Liked Posts:
Ray is the best pure edge rusher in this draft probably...

Beasley #2...

Both are senile Al Davis style selections in the top 10... High risk high reward...

"But he's really" fast isn't a reason to draft a guy in the top 10 anymore... It doesn't make much sense...

Draft complete football players in the top ten... Then evaluate their speed to determine how special that makes that player over all the other players in the draft...

Knowing where to be and using great technique will get you to the point of attack faster than pure speed alone

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ZenBear34

Liked Posts:
so as a frame of reference 84 players recorded at least 5 sacks last year in the NFL and none of them were less then 248 pounds(bruce irvin). beasley will have to bulk up without losing his speed to be an effective pass rusher in the NFL in my opinion. i think best case scenario for beasley is a move to linebacker and acting a situational pass rusher.

like i said in an earlier post, i think he will need a creative defensive coordinator to be successful. if reports of him playing around 225 are accurate he's got a lot of work to do. his combine numbers will be very important.

Liked Posts:
A couple of months makes for a big difference, doesn't it?

Here I was thinking maybe we'd be reaching for Beasley and now it is very likely he won't even be there.

knoxville7

I have the stride of a gazelle
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
A couple of months makes for a big difference, doesn't it?

Here I was thinking maybe we'd be reaching for Beasley and now it is very likely he won't even be there.

funny how that works isn't it? as long as we don't draft shane ray ill be happy

Smokey Robinson

Liked Posts:
Still feel the same about Beasley despite the recent hype machine following the combine. On film he shows the least power of all the top rated edge guys. As a full time 34 OLB he wouldn't be my guy. If you are running a Hybrid and need a LEO he is a perfect fit.

Liked Posts:
Still feel the same about Beasley despite the recent hype machine following the combine. On film he shows the least power of all the top rated edge guys. As a full time 34 OLB he wouldn't be my guy. If you are running a Hybrid and need a LEO he is a perfect fit.

Which is why he'll likely end up going #3 overall.

TheDane

Liked Posts:
Beasley's stock also got a big bump with me after the combine, but that was because his size was a huge questionmark for me. I wasn't sure that he had the bodytype to be 240+ without losing his elite first step, quickness and speed. But the workout he put on in Indy proved that he was an elite athlete even at 246, proving my doubts wrong.

No, he's not a guy that will be a dominant force against the run. But I feel that this is a draft without truly elite prospects, meaning that each and every one of them has question marks. Beasley is a top 10-pick in my book, and will probably even go top 5 (Jags or Skins).

Smokey Robinson

Liked Posts:
Which is why he'll likely end up going #3 overall.

Agreed. That is where I have him going personally. If the goal for Jacksonville is to replicate a Bruce Irvin type of player there is no better direction than Vic.

hebs

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Well, except for being 40lbs lighter, not as fast, no signature move, and not having 110 career NFL sacks. But in every other way he's exactly like Freeney!

Jason Taylor played at 225 on average... (he wasn't listed that low, but he admitted that he usually played at that weight)

That being said, I'm not saying this guy is Jason Taylor... just that people have this idea that if a DE/OLB isn't 265lbs+ that they automatically won't make it in the NFL.

Smokey Robinson

Liked Posts:
Jason Taylor played at 225 on average... (he wasn't listed that low, but he admitted that he usually played at that weight)

That being said, I'm not saying this guy is Jason Taylor... just that people have this idea that if a DE/OLB isn't 265lbs+ that they automatically won't make it in the NFL.

Jason Taylor was also considerably longer than Beasley which allowed him to keep tackles at bay. To me weight isn't as much of a concern as length and functional power which are two areas Beasley lacks.

Wild_x_Card

Liked Posts:
Jason Babin is the LEO in that Defense as of now. Beasley would likely split reps. Hard to justify a top 5 pick on a part time player.

Clemons also played that role. Granted he's old.

Smokey Robinson

Liked Posts:
Jason Babin is the LEO in that Defense as of now. Beasley would likely split reps. Hard to justify a top 5 pick on a part time player.

Clemons also played that role. Granted he's old.

When looking at their needs and comparing with the top players expected to be available Beasley matches up . Leo Williams may be top player available but they are loaded with interior guys like Marks, Odrick and Roy Miller, they also recently re-signed Alualu.

If there were a stud OT then I think it would be a no-brainer for them but an upgrade at LEO may be their best option.

zabavka

The owls are not what they seem...
Liked Posts:
Would be stoked if we picked him at #7

hebs

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Jason Taylor was also considerably longer than Beasley which allowed him to keep tackles at bay. To me weight isn't as much of a concern as length and functional power which are two areas Beasley lacks.

Crap... that's true... I forgot that Beasley only has 32.5" arms... Anyone know how long Taylor's arms were?

ZenBear34

Liked Posts:
Crap... that's true... I forgot that Beasley only has 32.5" arms... Anyone know how long Taylor's arms were?

i don't know if that info was made available to the public when taylor was around. but he was 6'6 so i have to imagine they were at least 34 inches. gregory is closer-on the field-to taylor.