Cover 2 Breakdown

Status
Not open for further replies.

USCChiFan

Crow's Nest
Donator
Liked Posts:
Matt Bowen, a former defensive back who played w/ Lovie in St. Louis, gives fans a complete breakdown of the Cover 2/Tampa 2 defense.
Today: The Tampa 2

Think of this as the first day of meetings during minicamp or the night before training camp opens in a small college lecture hall. Your basic install. We will get into some more exotic blitzes and combination coverages, but for now, we have to start with core coverages.

For teams such as Chicago, Indy, Minnesota and the New York Giants with new defensive coordinator Perry Fewell, the Tampa 2 is the base defense that’s always taught first.

Cover 2 is your classic 2-deep, 5-under defense with a four-man rush. But in the NFL today, the Tampa 2 essentially turns into a 3-deep, 4-under defense with the Mike (or middle linebacker) running with any inside vertical seam to create a 3-deep look that we would see in Cover 3.
Inside the playbook: the Tampa 2 | National Football Post

JJ-28

Liked Posts:
I have already seen the breakdown of Cover 2 its happen the last few years in Chicago and will happen again this year why because it doesn't work. At least not the way Lovie has it set up.

Last edited:

Manticore

Liked Posts:
I have already seen the breakdown of Cover 2 its happen the last few years in Chicago and will happen again this year why because it doesn't work. At least not the way Lovie has is set up.

And you still edited? :crazydance:

JJ-28

Liked Posts:
And you still edited? :crazydance:

All I can say is I am old, it might take me a couple of times to get something right anymore. Hell it took me 4 times after you said something before I read it the way I wrote it. I kept reading it like I should have type it in the first place not like actually type it.:crazydance:

blogdown

Liked Posts:
I don't need to tell you guys this, but the Cover 2 works well when the personnel is appropriate. It's not necessarily this completely outdated, irrelevant defense that people make it out to be. It's as simple as realizing Urlacher isn't as fast as he once was -- I'm fond of the word as there -- and the pass rush has been...kind of dookie.

bossdrb

The Boss
Donator
Liked Posts:
Thank you Blogdown. It does work. I personally like this scheme.

Think about the 4-3 old school type. If you have badass lineman, thats pressure. Then you have 2 safeties back just in case of a deep pass-which isn't utilized like it used to be, west coast dominates now-and everyone else is in coverage.

If you have smart athletes and good coaches, no worries.

Manticore

Liked Posts:
All I can say is I am old, it might take me a couple of times to get something right anymore. Hell it took me 4 times after you said something before I read it the way I wrote it. I kept reading it like I should have type it in the first place not like actually type it.:crazydance:

Soreyyy. Not used to older folk on the internetz.

USCChiFan

Crow's Nest
Donator
Liked Posts:
Thank you Blogdown. It does work. I personally like this scheme.

Think about the 4-3 old school type. If you have badass lineman, thats pressure. Then you have 2 safeties back just in case of a deep pass-which isn't utilized like it used to be, west coast dominates now-and everyone else is in coverage.

If you have smart athletes and good coaches, no worries.
This

JJ-28

Liked Posts:
Soreyyy. Not used to older folk on the internetz.

I am so old I played in the Super Bowl 11 years before you were born.

And some of us old farts have figured out this thing you young people call the internet. I have to use the internet I haven't figured out how to turn my new phone on yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.