I have to admit (Tony Snell Thread)

Cerebral

Liked Posts:
I'm eating my words and enjoying every minute of it. Earlier in the season I was very critical of one Tony Snell. I questioned why we wasted a roster spot on a player who chucked shots, was late on assignments and just looked lost and without confidence. These last few weeks his play has been very solid with these last two being career nights for him. While I don't think he's that kind of player I would love nothing more than seeing him be that spot up 3 point shooter and solid defender that the Bulls can rely on. Kudos to you sir.

Axl Rose

and I knew the silence of the world
Liked Posts:
ive been the biggest Snell critic on here but i don't have a problem admitting i was wrong

im glad hes finally putting it together and breaking out...i hope it continues

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
I thought Snell was a D-Leaguer.

Yeah, I'm a crow eating dipshit.

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I'm so glad that we were wrong about Snell. He did look like a bust, but now that he's got some confidence he's reminding me of why they drafted him. Good job Tony. Keep it up!

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
I'm so glad that we were wrong about Snell. He did look like a bust, but now that he's got some confidence he's reminding me of why they drafted him. Good job Tony. Keep it up!
I still held out hope for him honestly. I saw a few things from him in his rookie year, similar to Butler that told me he could be a decent player.

Unlike Marquis Teague, who always looked like garbage to me.

FirstTimer

v. 2.0: Fully Modded
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
I still held out hope for him honestly. I saw a few things from him in his rookie year, similar to Butler that told me he could be a decent player.

Unlike Marquis Teague, who always looked like garbage to me.

I REALLY hope I'm wrong and it has to do with his lack of minutes and games so he looks out of place but when McDermott is on the floor he looks a bit frantic and lost and out of place kind of similar to how Teague looked.

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
I REALLY hope I'm wrong and it has to do with his lack of minutes and games so he looks out of place but when McDermott is on the floor he looks a bit frantic and lost and out of place kind of similar to how Teague looked.
It's really hard to say, and perhaps that's why he doesn't play much. The injury was killer to his season IMO though. He started off the year okay IMO, his injury screwed him up. Now I think its difficult to get back into the flow of things and we may be too far along in the season for him to have really gotten a grasp of the NBA game at this point.. or at least that may be what the team is thinking.

If the injury hand't occurred and he continued to suck / play his way out of the rotation I could 100% agree with you, but I just can't make that judgement yet.

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Is this referring to all his games pre surgery?

FirstTimer

v. 2.0: Fully Modded
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
It's really hard to say, and perhaps that's why he doesn't play much. The injury was killer to his season IMO though. He started off the year okay IMO, his injury screwed him up. Now I think its difficult to get back into the flow of things and we may be too far along in the season for him to have really gotten a grasp of the NBA game at this point.. or at least that may be what the team is thinking.

If the injury hand't occurred and he continued to suck / play his way out of the rotation I could 100% agree with you, but I just can't make that judgement yet.

Agreed.

Is this referring to all his games pre surgery?

Yes.

ursamajor

D.J. Moore is phat
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
A little off topic, but the stupidity that Hinrich displayed in the first Mavs game still pisses me off. One of the dumbest things I have seen in all my years of watching the Bulls. With that, I hope that we will be seeing more of Snell coming off the bench at the 2, than Hinrich.

What would be ideal, is for Tony to keep making progress, and grow into the type of player at the 3 that Deng was for us. Tony has a higher ceiling athletically, so there is a real possibility that he could eclipse Deng at the 3.

Right now, GarPax's vision of the Bulls starting 5 of the future is starting to shape up.

Rose
Butler
Snell
Mirotic
Noah

All built through the draft.

Bear Pride

Bears Gonna Shock the World!
Liked Posts:

Doesn't anyone else see the irony of questioning McD after 22 games/9 minutes experience in a thread where almost everyone is eating crow about being wrong about Snell? :dunno:

Axl Rose

and I knew the silence of the world
Liked Posts:
A little off topic, but the stupidity that Hinrich displayed in the first Mavs game still pisses me off. One of the dumbest things I have seen in all my years of watching the Bulls. With that, I hope that we will be seeing more of Snell coming off the bench at the 2, than Hinrich.

What would be ideal, is for Tony to keep making progress, and grow into the type of player at the 3 that Deng was for us. Tony has a higher ceiling athletically, so there is a real possibility that he could eclipse Deng at the 3.

Right now, GarPax's vision of the Bulls starting 5 of the future is starting to shape up.

Rose
Butler
Snell
Mirotic
Noah

All built through the draft.

i don't see the comparison to Deng....if anything that would be Jimmy Butler

Tony just needs to be a 3&D guy

thats what he was drafted to be and im glad hes finally showing some signs of being that player

Diddy1122

I ain't your pal dickface
Liked Posts:
This is why I always preach patience when it comes to late 1st round picks. Most people thought Snell was a reach at 20 in that draft but now we are starting to see why the Bulls FO took that chance. Snell has all the physical tools to be a good player in this league. Personally, I think he ceiling is Marion-type player. Will he ever reach those heights? Maybe not. He's not as strong a rebounder as Marion was but size-wise they are extremely similiar & with hard work I think this kid can be a lockdown defender like him.

What I was most impressed by was how well Snell studied the scouting report on Lebron. He rarely let him drive to his right & when he did attempt to switch to his right, Snell was ready for it by poking his long arms at the ball. It was incredible to watch. His length also kept Lebron out of the post most of the night which was HUGE because Snell was giving up 40lbs to him.

This is a big plus for the team if he maintains this kind of play, which I feel like he will now that his teammates have all the confidence in the world in him.

NCChiFan

Bald, fat, toothless
Donator
Liked Posts:
Snell showed a lot of machismo going face to face with Lebron... You can do that and be successful how does Thibs NOT use him going forward?

Also, maybe, just maybe there is something to Thib's theory of not really playing rookies all that much. I'm not done with McD... I still believe he has a future in the NBA at a quality level.

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Snell showed a lot of machismo going face to face with Lebron... You can do that and be successful how does Thibs NOT use him going forward?

Also, maybe, just maybe there is something to Thib's theory of not really playing rookies all that much. I'm not done with McD... I still believe he has a future in the NBA at a quality level.
The fact that Jimmy has gone from someone who everyone thought would top out at Ronnie Brewer to an All Star is success for Thibs in and of itself. Snell showing far more promise aids that cause as well. For all we know Snell can fall off a cliff though so...

knoxville7

I have the stride of a gazelle
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers

im glad im not the only one that has noticed this. defensively he has happy feet, very erratic out there. I guess I need to go back and watch closely as to how he looked in college at Creighton, see if he had happy feet back then too or not