2015 Spring Training Thread

Bear Pride

Bears Gonna Shock the World!
Liked Posts:
And for those of you who would like to get to know Mallee more, I will provide a much better link than Beer Pride. You can see his philosophy, see players he has worked with, products he sells, etc.

http://www.johnmallee.com/

Uh, I just copied and pasted his name off the Cubs coaching staff page. It's a generic link you fool, but go ahead and make yourself feel better by thinking you out did me some how. :lol:

http://chicago.cubs.mlb.com/team/coaches.jsp?c_id=chc

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Rangers cant get a break. Profar out for season shoulder surgery. He has missed the last two seasons which is going to hurt his development tremendously

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Reading Alcantara is going to play all over the place like we figured. The cubs told him he will be playing the OF and second base and some third. I think LaStella may just be our opening day third baseman. He said he is very comfortable there now. He said at first it was awkward, but the Cubs gave him months notice so he was able to get a lot of work in. So, to me, that says the Cubs plan on him being a place holder then figure it out. I still think the Cubs are hoping to open the year with Baez at second, but are covering all bases in case they have to send him down.

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
Reading Alcantara is going to play all over the place like we figured. The cubs told him he will be playing the OF and second base and some third. I think LaStella may just be our opening day third baseman. He said he is very comfortable there now. He said at first it was awkward, but the Cubs gave him months notice so he was able to get a lot of work in. So, to me, that says the Cubs plan on him being a place holder then figure it out. I still think the Cubs are hoping to open the year with Baez at second, but are covering all bases in case they have to send him down.

it still could be Olt at 3B to start the year, I think it's all going to depend on what they think he looks like at the plate. With Olt basically as the only backup to Rizzo at 1B he's likely to make the team either way.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
You could be a real dreamboat and share where you are reading this. Thanks. :tongue:

NVM. I found it on ESPN blog. :D

Last edited:

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
You could be a real dreamboat and share where you are reading this. Thanks. :tongue:

NVM. I found it on ESPN blog. :D

I actually read it on CBS. I just found it interesting that they told Alcantara he will play all over like super sub I have always dreamed about. Also, giving LaStella a heads up to get comfortable at third was tellling to me. Im not an Olt believer. When we were talking about trading Garza the year before he was traded. I was so against it because Olt was the centerpiece and I have never cared for him. He was an advanced age that had huge flaws. Not just metrics, but with the eye test as well. I think he can stick in the majors just because of his power and glove work but I never saw starter.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
I actually read it on CBS. I just found it interesting that they told Alcantara he will play all over like super sub I have always dreamed about. Also, giving LaStella a heads up to get comfortable at third was tellling to me. Im not an Olt believer. When we were talking about trading Garza the year before he was traded. I was so against it because Olt was the centerpiece and I have never cared for him. He was an advanced age that had huge flaws. Not just metrics, but with the eye test as well. I think he can stick in the majors just because of his power and glove work but I never saw starter.
I was not a believer in Olt due to mechanical flaws and would agree that he could possibly stick as a backup. Not a starter, imho.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
I was not a believer in Olt due to mechanical flaws and would agree that he could possibly stick as a backup. Not a starter, imho.

I was never a believer in Mark Prior. Knew he was mentally fragile

beckdawg

Liked Posts:

League average 3B last season was .258/.318/.396 with roughly 16 HRs over 650 PAs. UZR/150 had Olt last season at a -8.8 though it was only 395.1 innings and defensively he's supposed to be better than average scouting wise. If we assume he's at least average defensively and that he is a .220 hitter in time his 10% walk rate probably makes him something like a .220/.320 hitter and clearly he has 20-25 HR power. Given that, I wouldn't sell him short on being a starter. It might not be with the cubs but in time he can probably be a starter for a team not necessarily in the hunt.

I'd also make the comment that he hit .263/.370/.368 upon being recalled from AAA. It was only over 46 PAs and you typically want 100 as a barre minimum before drawing conclusions. While it's clearly a super small sample, I point it out because he went down to AAA and made a change to his swing focusing more on contact and less on power. He's on record as having said when he went down he didn't care if he went 0 for 50(something like that not exact quote) but he knew he need to make changes.

Long story short, I wouldn't write him off just yet. With an interesting spring he could leave the cubs with a choice to make. If he plays well to start the season at 3rd they have even less reason to call up Bryant early unless they want to throw Olt or Bryant to LF.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
League average 3B last season was .258/.318/.396 with roughly 16 HRs over 650 PAs. UZR/150 had Olt last season at a -8.8 though it was only 395.1 innings and defensively he's supposed to be better than average scouting wise. If we assume he's at least average defensively and that he is a .220 hitter in time his 10% walk rate probably makes him something like a .220/.320 hitter and clearly he has 20-25 HR power. Given that, I wouldn't sell him short on being a starter. It might not be with the cubs but in time he can probably be a starter for a team not necessarily in the hunt.

I'd also make the comment that he hit .263/.370/.368 upon being recalled from AAA. It was only over 46 PAs and you typically want 100 as a barre minimum before drawing conclusions. While it's clearly a super small sample, I point it out because he went down to AAA and made a change to his swing focusing more on contact and less on power. He's on record as having said when he went down he didn't care if he went 0 for 50(something like that not exact quote) but he knew he need to make changes.

Long story short, I wouldn't write him off just yet. With an interesting spring he could leave the cubs with a choice to make. If he plays well to start the season at 3rd they have even less reason to call up Bryant early unless they want to throw Olt or Bryant to LF.

If they didn't have Bryant close I would be fine with giving 3B to Olt. I place little value into any numbers on a player until they have 1000 MLB AB's to work with. There is too much adjustment/re-adjustment going on for the first few years to have a educated opinion. Just looking at Rizzo we all should know this to be fact.