MLB's new pace of play rules

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
Putting the game on that early has to be done on a weekend. During the week the west coast kids are still in school and the midwest kdis would be for two or three innings.

I agree. There are logistic issues, but my overall point remains, the key here is to reach out to kids and they've been very bad at that for a long time.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Baseball loses out on the casual fans, IMO, because it no longer reaches out to them when they're kids. The percentage of revenues that MLB invests in youth baseball has been on a steady decline since the early 1980's. On top of that marketing to younger fans has also been inconsistent. Teams should have at least one game a week on at a time when kids in their time zone are most likely to watch and advertise accordingly. They could also have programming before the Saturday national games that appeals to youth. Tie it in with video games if you have to, make it an interesting watch and teach the game within that framework. Also put some playoff games on early where kids could watch. Would a 5:00 EST World Series game kill them? Yes, it would be an investment but an investment in teh future of their sport. Artificial means of increasing scoring could lead to some unintended consequences. Baseball is an entertaining game as is. It does take some work to learn though so TEACH. I'm not opposed to tinkering but wholesale changes to attract casual fans or because "chicks dig the long ball"? No thank you.

not totally disagreeing with you here.. BUT I think the problem with the majority of kids nowadays has more to do with them wanting to sit at home and play on their computers and play their video games then care about watching a baseball game or even go outside and play baseball ...

I think this is the problem with all sports though, not just baseball...

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
not totally disagreeing with you here.. BUT I think the problem with the majority of kids nowadays has more to do with them wanting to sit at home and play on their computers and play their video games then care about watching a baseball game or even go outside and play baseball ...

I think this is the problem with all sports though, not just baseball...

No question, that's why you have to be creative. A couple of hosts playing the MLB video game on a Saturday before the national broadcast while explaining some things about the game, but in that video game format, is one thing I thought of. The NFL's Punt, Pass & Kick program has been extremely successful, so something modeled after that could also be a possibility. We're in a new age and markets change all the time. What doesn't change though is the need for an influx of younger fans. I think the lack of casual fans has more to do with neglect of that necessity than the ebb and flow of scoring in the game.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
Baseball loses out on the casual fans, IMO, because it no longer reaches out to them when they're kids. The percentage of revenues that MLB invests in youth baseball has been on a steady decline since the early 1980's. On top of that marketing to younger fans has also been inconsistent. Teams should have at least one game a week on at a time when kids in their time zone are most likely to watch and advertise accordingly. They could also have programming before the Saturday national games that appeals to youth. Tie it in with video games if you have to, make it an interesting watch and teach the game within that framework. Also put some playoff games on early where kids could watch. Would a 5:00 EST World Series game kill them? Yes, it would be an investment but an investment in teh future of their sport. Artificial means of increasing scoring could lead to some unintended consequences. Baseball is an entertaining game as is. It does take some work to learn though so TEACH. I'm not opposed to tinkering but wholesale changes to attract casual fans or because "chicks dig the long ball"? No thank you.
TEACH is one of the failures of the way the game is broadcast, IMHO. It's a game of skill compared to soccer where a 3 year old can get on a team and play bunch ball for 5 years and mom and dad think it's important for a college schollie. I wouldn't do anything too drastic, but the strike zone is currently too low and there are too many pitching changes in a game.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
not to pat myself on the back but in the other thread these are exactly what I said needed to be done to help shorten the time...

giphy.gif

:D

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
TEACH is one of the failures of the way the game is broadcast, IMHO. It's a game of skill compared to soccer where a 3 year old can get on a team and play bunch ball for 5 years and mom and dad think it's important for a college schollie. I wouldn't do anything too drastic, but the strike zone is currently too low and there are too many pitching changes in a game.

It is too low, and the top part of the zone isn't called hardly at all

TL1961

Liked Posts:
So, if the batter has to keep one foot in the box, can the pitcher pitch?

Or will Skip Schumaker continue adjusting both gloves after taking a pitch, only with one foot in the box?

I assume the pitcher can just get ready to throw - and I like this change.

chibears55

Liked Posts:

Or will Skip Schumaker continue adjusting both gloves after taking a pitch, only with one foot in the box?

Batter has til 5 second mark to be in box ready to hit or after April they get fined.. at that point pitchers need to be on mound ready to pitch and have til time expires to pitch....

What i havent seen yet is anything explaining what happens if there runners on base.. can pitcher as long as their on mound hold runners on and throw to base or home after time expires

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
If this is the case, I expect overall team defense to improve somewhat.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Nomar would be fucked. He was as bad as Sergio Garcia is before a drive

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shawon0Meter

PLAYOFFS?!?
Donator
Liked Posts:
Nope. We are at record revenues now with the supposed slowness.

Nothing better than watching a 1-0 game. Especially if there is some history associated with it. I would dare say that the 8th and 9th innings are highest rated during such games.
I love 1-0 type games as well . 2 starters going into the 7th with a game at 0-0 is a beautiful thing to watch

Liked Posts:

It's already played this way in most high schools. Honestly, even at the major league level, you don't have time unless the umpire grants you time. Much of this is on the umpires, including the lack of enforcement of the allowable time between pitches.

ijustposthere

Message Board Hero
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Purdue Boilermakers
I'm not sure high scoring is exciting to baseball fans. To the casual fan perhaps but that would risk alienating the baseball fan. Doesn't seem worth it. Need to find another way to get the casual fan.

I can go with both, as long as it's a good game. If it's a high scoring game because of error after error, pretty boring. If it's a low scoring game because hitters suck and are making baserunning errors, boring game. If the game is excellently pitched and defense is stellar, a 1-0 game can be intense. If hitters are just on and hitting good pitches and scoring a ton of runs, exciting game.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
I can go with both, as long as it's a good game. If it's a high scoring game because of error after error, pretty boring. If it's a low scoring game because hitters suck and are making baserunning errors, boring game. If the game is excellently pitched and defense is stellar, a 1-0 game can be intense. If hitters are just on and hitting good pitches and scoring a ton of runs, exciting game.

I don't think I've ever seen the high scoring game you speak of