Drafting Brett Hundley in the 2nd Round

Larsonite

Guacamole Taco
Liked Posts:
All of this....certainly much of this is total b.s. If ya look at Hundley's #'s, he's progressed every year. I'd certainly be more comfortable with he's so-called "flaws", than the slug 30++ yr. Qb we have.

You're not saying anything. Hundley can progress but where he has ended his college career is not very good.

Larsonite

Guacamole Taco
Liked Posts:
The hype around Hundley reminds me of the hype around Ex-Kentucky QB, Andre Woodson. Woodson ended up as a 6th round pick and out of the NFL in a year and a half.

The argument for Woodson was that he was the "heart and soul" of the Kentucky team. He was productive. He had a strong arm. He was decently athletic. He was tall.

So when anyone talks about Hundley, stop talking about his size, arm strength or any BS that his team was better because he's "that good". It's all nonsense. The guy will fail in the NFL because he can't get out of his own way. He can't read a defense in time. He does nothing to move the defenders. He has proven many glaring weaknesses but the worst is, he has ZERO pocket presence.

knoxville7

I have the stride of a gazelle
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
To the naysayers....... Brett Hundley is the REASON UCLA is relevant again.

hmmm I could of sworn the reason was the head coach jim mora but I guess I could be wrong

dabears253313

Liked Posts:
I would rather the Bears draft OL, DL or LB but I think Brett Hundley would be a good pick.

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
The hype around Hundley reminds me of the hype around Ex-Kentucky QB, Andre Woodson. Woodson ended up as a 6th round pick and out of the NFL in a year and a half.

The argument for Woodson was that he was the "heart and soul" of the Kentucky team. He was productive. He had a strong arm. He was decently athletic. He was tall.

So when anyone talks about Hundley, stop talking about his size, arm strength or any BS that his team was better because he's "that good". It's all nonsense. The guy will fail in the NFL because he can't get out of his own way. He can't read a defense in time. He does nothing to move the defenders. He has proven many glaring weaknesses but the worst is, he has ZERO pocket presence.

Woodson wasn't going anywhere with Manning there same for Kurt Warner. I really don't see the Woodson example of all the Qb's who've come & gone ( they are 2 totally different Qb's. One is mobile, one is not) .

He can't read a defense in time.

SPECIFICALLY.....what are you basing this on.....certainly NOT his #'a or his production.

-------

Football Intelligence (FBI)

The popularity of spread offenses in college—be it the Air Raid or the read-option—has led to fewer quarterbacks reading the entire field. Pro-style offenses, like the one run at UCLA, are becoming a rarity, and so too are quarterbacks in college with experience diagnosing coverages.

Hundley handles the complexities of the offense well and works across the entire field when scanning for a target. This is not a one-read offense. This is not a half-field offense. Hundley is expected to work the entire field, and does.

Moving to an NFL offense will not be difficult for Hundley. He will have to adapt to the speed of the pros, just like every other rookie, but from a reads and execution standpoint, he's ready.

- Matt Miller , NFL Draft Lead Writer

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Takes virtually every snap from the shotgun and typically relies upon pre-snap reads in a relatively simple offense. Scouts want to see him operate better from the pocket, especially under duress.Has a tendency to drop his eyes and look to run in the face of pressure, even when able to elude the initial defender. Good, but not great straight-line speed in the mold of elite dual-threat QBs.

Hundley's ball placement is a work-in-progress. Like most young quarterbacks, he needs to develop his anticipation as a passer and show better rhythm with his weapons, but he has the qualities that can't be coached.

IN OUR VIEW: On the surface, Hundley's skill-set seems every bit as tantalizing as Oregon's Marcus Mariota or Florida State's Jameis Winston. However, Hundley needs to improve in the critical subtleties of the quarterback position - pocket presence, reading defenses and ball placement.

--Dane Brugler & Rob Rang (11/20/14)

Hasn't shown an ability to win from the pocket yet. Protected by playaction-based short passing game that held linebackers and cornerbacks at bay. Internal clock is a mess. Has marginal anticipation, and appears to be lacking in ability to read defenses and create a pre-snap plan. Slow getting through progressions, taking 125 sacks in three years. Inconsistent weight transfer on throws, which affects accuracy (throws sail) and velocity. Needs to reset feet when swiveling from side to side while scanning for next target. Gets crowded in pocket rather than sliding to open space. Short-arms too many throws. Ineffective, inaccurate passer outside of pocket with lowest completion percentage in Pac-12 when scrambling (32.6 percent). Misses opportunities to climb pocket while keeping eyes downfield rather than taking off as a runner.
SOURCES TELL US "Someone will draft him, but I don't think he will ever be a starter. He can't read coverages and struggles to process. It is going to take a few years before he looks like a backup in my opinion. He has a long way to go." -- AFC area scout

Hundley shows some potential to be an accurate passer. He needs to become more consistent with his accuracy and ball placement.

Hundley has some clear aspects of his game that he has to improve upon for the NFL in 2014. The junior has to develop his pocket-passing ability and his field vision. Hundley too often locks onto his primary read and doesn't work through progressions. He also has a tendency to take off running or scrambling when his first read is covered. If Hundley can show that he can quickly scan through his receivers and deliver the ball accurately to the right receiver, it could be huge for his draft stock.

Scout foresees UCLA QB Brett Hundley as 'a bust'
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000441350/article/scout-foresees-ucla-qb-brett-hundley-as-a-bust

ob1force

Liked Posts:
I rather see what David Fales can do or take a flyer on a Jake Locker outta free agency than draft a QB, very weak QB class.

Larsonite

Guacamole Taco
Liked Posts:
Woodson wasn't going anywhere with Manning there same for Kurt Warner. I really don't see the Woodson example of all the Qb's who've come & gone ( they are 2 totally different Qb's. One is mobile, one is not) .

SPECIFICALLY.....what are you basing this on.....certainly NOT his #'a or his production.

-------

Football Intelligence (FBI)

The popularity of spread offenses in college—be it the Air Raid or the read-option—has led to fewer quarterbacks reading the entire field. Pro-style offenses, like the one run at UCLA, are becoming a rarity, and so too are quarterbacks in college with experience diagnosing coverages.

Hundley handles the complexities of the offense well and works across the entire field when scanning for a target. This is not a one-read offense. This is not a half-field offense. Hundley is expected to work the entire field, and does.

Moving to an NFL offense will not be difficult for Hundley. He will have to adapt to the speed of the pros, just like every other rookie, but from a reads and execution standpoint, he's ready.

- Matt Miller , NFL Draft Lead Writer

I was comparing the hype not the qb's skill set. I base my opinion on what I see not what I read.

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
He has proven many glaring weaknesses but the worst is, he has ZERO pocket presence.

Pocket Presence

The area where Hundley scores best right away is in pocket presence. In the pocket he's strong, fluid and moves with grace whether pressured from the front or the side.

Hundley is a physically strong player, and defenders will struggle to bring him down. He uses that strength to his advantage and doesn't get impatient in the pocket or look to tuck and run too soon. He resets his feet and shoulders well when scanning the field and has a light bounce in his step at the top of his drop.

One fix NFL scouts will want from Hundley is avoiding traveling backward away from the line of scrimmage when pressured. Many young quarterbacks like to try to spin out of pressure and start pulling themselves away from the line, and Hundley likes to do this too by reversing out of the pocket. This will set up jaw-dropping runs and moves in the pocket but is something NFL teams will want to limit.

Hundley seems to hold on to the ball for too long at times, but compared to the other top-tier quarterbacks in college football during the 2013 season, he was working with the least amount of NFL-caliber talent. The aforementioned problem could be a habit the NFL needs to break, but it could also be brought on by receivers struggling to get open or linemen struggling to sustain a block.

-- Matt Miller , NFL Draft Lead Writer

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
I rather see what David Fales can do or take a flyer on a Jake Locker outta free agency than draft a QB, very weak QB class.

we SHOULD stop bringing in other teams garbage ( i.e.jay cutler) and have the confidence to draft our own. I have no problem seeing Fales compete for the job vs a rookie or whoever .

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
You'd think that someone that hates Cutler sooo much would want a heady player instead of an athletic one. You can one read in college and not throw picks. NFL is a different game and this O will need a guy that's comfortable under center. I'd feel a lot better about Hundley if he was at the Senior bowl and did well in game conditions vs the other QBs. He should do well at the combine but unfortunately it doesn't tell enough. It's like safeties times 10. The most important thing they need is recognition and why so many jock safeties fail as well. If a QB isn't looking off and doing progressions at the college level, it's a bad omen. Not necessarily one that can't be overcome in time but it may need years in the same O.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

Pocket Presence

The area where Hundley scores best right away is in pocket presence. In the pocket he's strong, fluid and moves with grace whether pressured from the front or the side.

Hundley is a physically strong player, and defenders will struggle to bring him down. He uses that strength to his advantage and doesn't get impatient in the pocket or look to tuck and run too soon. He resets his feet and shoulders well when scanning the field and has a light bounce in his step at the top of his drop.

One fix NFL scouts will want from Hundley is avoiding traveling backward away from the line of scrimmage when pressured. Many young quarterbacks like to try to spin out of pressure and start pulling themselves away from the line, and Hundley likes to do this too by reversing out of the pocket. This will set up jaw-dropping runs and moves in the pocket but is something NFL teams will want to limit.

Hundley seems to hold on to the ball for too long at times, but compared to the other top-tier quarterbacks in college football during the 2013 season, he was working with the least amount of NFL-caliber talent. The aforementioned problem could be a habit the NFL needs to break, but it could also be brought on by receivers struggling to get open or linemen struggling to sustain a block.

-- Matt Miller , NFL Draft Lead Writer

Same guy. You found one guy that works for bleacher report without reservations. Most have concerns but see his skill set still having some team take a flyer on him somewhere in 2. I don't want to be that team. With as much as we need, I'd rather wait until a QB is one of the top guys remaining on my draft board and not reach.

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
Takes virtually every snap from the shotgun and typically relies upon pre-snap reads in a relatively simple offense. Scouts want to see him operate better from the pocket, especially under duress.Has a tendency to drop his eyes and look to run in the face of pressure, even when able to elude the initial defender. Good, but not great straight-line speed in the mold of elite dual-threat QBs.

Hundley's ball placement is a work-in-progress. Like most young quarterbacks, he needs to develop his anticipation as a passer and show better rhythm with his weapons, but he has the qualities that can't be coached.

IN OUR VIEW: On the surface, Hundley's skill-set seems every bit as tantalizing as Oregon's Marcus Mariota or Florida State's Jameis Winston. However, Hundley needs to improve in the critical subtleties of the quarterback position - pocket presence, reading defenses and ball placement.

--Dane Brugler & Rob Rang (11/20/14)

Hasn't shown an ability to win from the pocket yet. Protected by playaction-based short passing game that held linebackers and cornerbacks at bay. Internal clock is a mess. Has marginal anticipation, and appears to be lacking in ability to read defenses and create a pre-snap plan. Slow getting through progressions, taking 125 sacks in three years. Inconsistent weight transfer on throws, which affects accuracy (throws sail) and velocity. Needs to reset feet when swiveling from side to side while scanning for next target. Gets crowded in pocket rather than sliding to open space. Short-arms too many throws. Ineffective, inaccurate passer outside of pocket with lowest completion percentage in Pac-12 when scrambling (32.6 percent). Misses opportunities to climb pocket while keeping eyes downfield rather than taking off as a runner.
SOURCES TELL US "Someone will draft him, but I don't think he will ever be a starter. He can't read coverages and struggles to process. It is going to take a few years before he looks like a backup in my opinion. He has a long way to go." -- AFC area scout

Hundley shows some potential to be an accurate passer. He needs to become more consistent with his accuracy and ball placement.

Hundley has some clear aspects of his game that he has to improve upon for the NFL in 2014. The junior has to develop his pocket-passing ability and his field vision. Hundley too often locks onto his primary read and doesn't work through progressions. He also has a tendency to take off running or scrambling when his first read is covered. If Hundley can show that he can quickly scan through his receivers and deliver the ball accurately to the right receiver, it could be huge for his draft stock.

Scout foresees UCLA QB Brett Hundley as 'a bust'
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000441350/article/scout-foresees-ucla-qb-brett-hundley-as-a-bust

I think you FORGOT the FULL analysis

Strengths Weaknesses
STRENGTHS:
Looks the part with a tall, well-built frame and has the arm to unleash passes all over the field. Easy throwing motion with a strong, accurate arm. Noel Mazzone's offense asks him to make aggressive downfield throws and his quarterback shows the courage to attempt these passes even with defenders in close proximity to his targets. Quick set-up and release, and possesses the velocity and touch to make any throw. Even more impressive than Hundley's elusiveness and acceleration, however, is his vision and poise while buying time in the pocket. Hundley feels pressure well and is willing to step up in the pocket. Though he needs to continue working in this area, he did show improvement in 2014 in re-setting while keeping his passing options open, critical for long-term success in the NFL.

Hundley has the physical traits to explode as a dual-threat passer in the NFL, and the mental toughness so critical for success at the next level.

Run the ball

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I'm kinda down in this guy, I don't like what I'm readng at all so far. Much better available talent in the 2nd round, IMO.

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
Same guy. You found one guy that works for bleacher report without reservations. Most have concerns but see his skill set still having some team take a flyer on him somewhere in 2. I don't want to be that team. With as much as we need, I'd rather wait until a QB is one of the top guys remaining on my draft board and not reach.

We need a qb to develop.

NFL scout Bucky Brooks, while recognizing Hundley's need for further development, wrote that Hundley had improved and was finishing the season in very strong fashion.
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...-hundley-playing-as-well-as-anyone-in-college

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
I'm kinda down in this guy, I don't like what I'm readng at all so far. Much better available talent in the 2nd round, IMO.

IMO.....if we're gonna go through same pain on "O" as last season, I'd rather do it while trying to develop a young qb. I really don't wanna see us waste time with jay ANYMORE.

dabears253313

Liked Posts:

I was actually thinking about that earlier, Brett Hundley dropping like Andre Woodson did but not as far down. Maybe rounds 3-4. Woodson was rated as a first round pick at one point and dropped all the way down to the 6th round like what you said. I remember the big knock on him was that he held the ball too low.

Monsieur Tirets

Liked Posts:
It seems a lot of his sacks are a result of the fact that he can scramble and often refused to give up on a play. Kind of the same reason Big Ben is sacked a hell of a lot.

I like Hundley in the second. And think he is more pro ready than a number of people are giving him credit for. Hes worth a shot with a second round pick.

Smokey Robinson

Liked Posts:
If Pace and Fox feel he is their guy I am behind it but they better be sure as there will be ILBs and DL and DBs available that will be needed for a defensive rebuild.