Drafting Brett Hundley in the 2nd Round

DJMoore_is_fat

Liked Posts:
I'm starting to warm to the possibility of selecting Hundley in the 2nd round. It will be interesting to see how he shakes out at the pro level -- but he might be worth taking a chance on. He's got good size, great arm strength, solid mobility, and possesses the ability to step up in the pocket and make throws under duress.

Obviously he's not a can't miss prospect -- maybe he can't adapt to playing in complicated pro offenses. But with Pace and Fox refusing to endorse Jay and the revelation about the out in his contract -- maybe it makes sense to move on.

Who has seen a lot of UCLA games here? What are your opinions on Hundley at the next level?

We can still go defense in round one and three but it would be nice to at least a possible future QB on the roster to groom.

Mitchapalooza

He might be gone by our 2nd pick but i want him in the 2nd as well.

JeffChrist

Liked Posts:
I've never watched him so I can't comment on him as a player. But I've heard that he's a solid prospect, and I wouldn't mind them spending a 2nd rounder on a QB if they felt he was worth the risk. It would be exciting to have a promising young QB on the roster and maybe give us something to look forward to this season, despite the fact that we will most likely stink.

Last edited:

Larsonite

Guacamole Taco
Liked Posts:
I'm starting to warm to the possibility of selecting Hundley in the 2nd round. It will be interesting to see how he shakes out at the pro level -- but he might be worth taking a chance on. He's got good size, great arm strength, solid mobility, and possesses the ability to step up in the pocket and make throws under duress.

Obviously he's not a can't miss prospect -- maybe he can't adapt to playing in complicated pro offenses. But with Pace and Fox refusing to endorse Jay and the revelation about the out in his contract -- maybe it makes sense to move on.

Who has seen a lot of UCLA games here? What are your opinions on Hundley at the next level?

We can still go defense in round one and three but it would be nice to at least a possible future QB on the roster to groom.

I think Hundley is miles and miles away from being an NFL starting QB. He has the physical side but I don't like anything he does on the football side. I don't see where he "possesses the ability to step up in the pocket and make throws under duress" as his pocket awareness is garbage. I don't like the way he throws the ball. I don't like how he sets his feet. I don't like how he throws off his back foot on touch passes. I don't like how he gets sacked against a four man rush with a good pocket. I don't like how he stares down his target. I don't like that he rarely if ever, gets to his second read.

I honestly can't stand Hundley and would stay far far away. Not an NFL QB!

Willis1524

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
They were talking about him this morning on Mike and Mike, whoever the "draft expert" they had on the air said he sees Hundley as a late 2nd early 3rd round pick(same as Petty).

Bort

Liked Posts:
Physically, Hundley is NFL caliber. He has a big body and a great arm.

His problem is that his pocket presence/awareness is completely horrible. As I said in a previous thread about Hundley, I've never seen a quarterback walk into so many unnecessary sacks. I actually looked up the stats because I was curious, Hundley was the most sacked quarterback in all of Division I football in 2012, 5th most sacked in 2013, and 7th most sacked in 2014. And a lot of those sacks were plays where he had pretty good protection.

Despite having an NFL-caliber arm and body, I just don't think a QB with such bad awareness could make it in the NFL. I wouldn't waste a draft pick on him.

FWIW, I'm not high on Winston or Mariotta, either. I think this year's QB class is really bad.

Larsonite

Guacamole Taco
Liked Posts:
Physically, Hundley is NFL caliber. He has a big body and a great arm.

His problem is that his pocket presence/awareness is completely horrible. As I said in a previous thread about Hundley, I've never seen a quarterback walk into so many unnecessary sacks. I actually looked up the stats because I was curious, Hundley was the most sacked quarterback in all of Division I football in 2012, 5th most sacked in 2013, and 7th most sacked in 2014. And a lot of those sacks were plays where he had pretty good protection.

Despite having an NFL-caliber arm and body, I just don't think a QB with such bad awareness could make it in the NFL. I wouldn't waste a draft pick on him.

FWIW, I'm not high on Winston or Mariotta, either. I think this year's QB class is really bad.

Those sack numbers tell me Hundley has a brain processing issue.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I think Hundley is miles and miles away from being an NFL starting QB. He has the physical side but I don't like anything he does on the football side. I don't see where he "possesses the ability to step up in the pocket and make throws under duress" as his pocket awareness is garbage. I don't like the way he throws the ball. I don't like how he sets his feet. I don't like how he throws off his back foot on touch passes. I don't like how he gets sacked against a four man rush with a good pocket. I don't like how he stares down his target. I don't like that he rarely if ever, gets to his second read.

I agree but don't think it's an absolute he's not an NFL QB. Certainly not in a year but we may have that luxury. I personally don't risk my 2 on him but I'll leave that to the Gase. I'd put him 5th on my list.

Larsonite

Guacamole Taco
Liked Posts:
I think David Fales is a much better prospect than Hundley is. Fales we got in the 5th round, Hundley might go as high as the 1st round. Although, I don't buy that at all. Just some draft rumors I've seen.

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini

...put it this way, if u see it, other teams see it. The only way to get this guy us to move up in the draft. We would need to position ourselves at the top of the 2nd round

NE.Rugger

Liked Posts:
If we move Cutler I definitely take him. Move down in the first, move up in the second, whatever it takes to secure the pic.

If we roll with Cutler I'm cool with picking him where we are. Prefer Kevin Johnson out of Wake there but wouldn't be upset with Hundley.

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
To the naysayers....... Brett Hundley is the REASON UCLA is relevant again.

JPPT1974

April Showers and Easter 2024!
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Seattle Mariners
  1. Los Angeles FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Tennessee Titans
  1. St. Louis Blues
  1. Kentucky Wildcats
Yeah as hopefully just if Jay C gets cut, then get Brett Hundley indeed!

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
Quote Originally Posted by Larsonite View Post

I agree but don't think it's an absolute he's not an NFL QB. Certainly not in a year but we may have that luxury. I personally don't risk my 2 on him but I'll leave that to the Gase. I'd put him 5th on my list.

All of this....certainly much of this is total b.s. If ya look at Hundley's #'s, he's progressed every year. I'd certainly be more comfortable with he's so-called "flaws", than the slug 30++ yr. Qb we have.