Repus Bowl? - Cubs/Sox Weekend is here

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
Back in Nov 1983, two after thoughts in sports met to determine the worst teams in football, the Tampa Bay Bucs and the Houston Oilers. Both were 1-11. What a sad state of affairs it was. One reporter called it the Repus Bowl. Chicago starts it’s own version of that this weekend as the Cubs play host to the White Sox.

There have been times when the teams have had worse records, and many times when clearly one time was better than the other and on rare occasions when both teams were pretty good. This year it’s different. This year is lowest I can ever remember. And I am not excited at all for it like I have been in all previous matchups. And no, it’s not because I’ll be in Disney World. Allow me to share my thoughts.

The Beloved Cubs were picked my many to be competitive with the Cardinals in the NL Central this year. They were clearly picked by the majority to be the second best team in the division and selected by quite a few to dethrone the Cardinals. The Cubs also had the most favorable schedule thru 54 games of any team this year playing only six games against teams that were over .500 last season. Hendry made so many very good moves with the budget constraints he had. He added some nice players in Marlon Byrd and Xavier Nady. He was able to get rid of Milton Bradley for Carlos Silva, who will be representing the Boys in Blue at the Summer Classic. Loads of hitting and some great play by rookies like Castro and Colvin. Yet they are one of the most disappointing teams in all of baseball. They are 26-31 and closer to last place then first place. Lee and Ramirez have failed to cover their paychecks and again the timely hitting has been absent again.

Let’s not count out the Good Guys of the White Sox. They were picked by everyone to be in a three team race with the Twins and Tigers to be battling for the AL Central crown. Most media experts felt that when the smoke cleared the White Sox would win the division. However their 24-32 record has them closer to last then first as well. The best contact team in baseball happens to be one of the weakest hitting teams this season. Konerko and Rios have done what they can, but it’s too much for only two players to carry a team. And the biggest strength that the pundits used to pick the White Sox to win the division, the starting pitching, has turned out to be a huge disappointment.

So these two teams battle for the BP Cup, sounded like the right idea before the whole oil spill. But seriously, does anyone care? After the Blackhawks win the Cup, we’ve got a two-three week sports buzz in this town until the Lebron sweepstake. I predict disappointment for the city as we miss out on the two best free agents in James and Wade leaving the Bulls a marginal playoff team again. And I have yet to see the improvement for Da’ Bears on the offensive line or at the wide out positions. This town’s famous phrase of wait til next year rings true again. March is so long away. At least I have Disney and the Star Wars Weekend. And Drop Dead Diva on Lifetime. I miss sports.

Michael Paniak

Kush77

Liked Posts:
The BP Cup. Will the winners get to drink spilled oil out of the trophy? what a joke.

I now longer care about the Cubs/Sox series. Maybe they should just ditch interleague for a few years and bring it back in another decade or so.

And the fact that both of these teams suck out loud makes me want to watch even less.

The BP Cup. LOL. Drill Baby Drill. he he