Mortal Kombat X (MKX) Discussion

Undisputed

Liked Posts:
The release is not far, so let's have a proper discussion thread. April 14th is when it begins, again. Coming to all platforms, PS3, PS4, X-Box 360, X-Box One, and PC. If you haven't pre-ordered it and plan on buying it, Goro is a pre-order bonus. So it'll save you from having to download him off the market, whenever they release it to everyone(won't be long). A lot of information has been trickling out, so here are some links to help anyone out of the loop catch up:

Box Art:
34ht8jk.jpg

Game modes-
Via Wikipedia.org said:
The game's modes are to include "Story", "1 vs. 1 Ranked", "King of the Hill", "Survivor", and "Test Your Luck". A new addition called "Living Towers" is an evolved form of Mortal Kombat's "Challenge Tower" where the play conditions will be changing every hour. Another new mode is "Faction Wars", where the players will have to choose one from the five factions (Black Dragon, the Brotherhood of Shadow, the Lin Kuei, Special Forces, and White Lotus) to align with and join a persistent online cross-platform competition with the others, winning points for their faction to contribute in the conflict between them, ranking up personally, and earning special rewards such as faction-specific finishing moves if the player's faction win at the end of any given week.
[video=youtube;XzZB1H7nCdc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XzZB1H7nCdc[/video]

Character "variations" explained and more-https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wpg2FxNCPq4

Day 1 roster:

mortal-kombat-x-roster-600x337.jpg

Kombat Pack characters(DLC to be released over the next few months): Jason, Predator, Tanya, Tremor

mortal-kombat-kombat-pack.jpg

Last edited:

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
Conan did one of his plays with MKX. Hilarious as usual.

AussieBear

damn, i still havent full explore MK Komplete, which is good btw.

X looks like it has promise too.

Undisputed

Liked Posts:
Conan did one of his plays with MKX. Hilarious as usual.
Conan's Clueless Gamer segment was funny with Marshawn and Gronk. That actually needs to be in this thread. :X

[video=youtube;MNpkSyryQz4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MNpkSyryQz4[/video]

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
I'm not a big fighting game person, as it seems like you have to be really technical to be good and I'm more of a button masher, RPG, shooter person, but MK always held a place in my heard as one of the original games to get me into gaming. The problem is that I with fighting games like this, much like sports games now, I really don't know how they evolve into a must buy new game. Sure they get new characters, maybe fresh new backgrounds and such, but they don't really do much to differentiate between it and the previous version. Then they just try to do things to ratchet up the gore and violence like that's the only reason that people play them and it seems to be a disconnect for me. I haven't played this game in a while, only seen matches streamed and such so I'm hoping someone who is a fan can maybe educate me a bit on how or if these games have... I'm not sure I know the correct words, grown as a genre maybe? Or are they just shinier version of past versions?

Undisputed

Liked Posts:
I'm not a big fighting game person, as it seems like you have to be really technical to be good and I'm more of a button masher, RPG, shooter person, but MK always held a place in my head as one of the original games to get me into gaming. The problem is that I with fighting games like this, much like sports games now, I really don't know how they evolve into a must buy new game. Sure they get new characters, maybe fresh new backgrounds and such, but they don't really do much to differentiate between it and the previous version. Then they just try to do things to ratchet up the gore and violence like that's the only reason that people play them and it seems to be a disconnect for me. I haven't played this game in a while, only seen matches streamed and such so I'm hoping someone who is a fan can maybe educate me a bit on how or if these games have... I'm not sure I know the correct words, grown as a genre maybe? Or are they just shinier version of past versions?
It's understandable that you can't get into fighting games if shooters and RPGs are what you started out playing and loving. I notice that even with other gamer friends of mine. It's rare to find an individual these days who is willing to put the time and practice into getting good at a fighting game. I just personally like the 1v1 aspect, as opposed to depending on a team to produce to win. I guess it's just a different competitive mindset than the FPS gamer. And for people who play RPGs and look for a great single player element, then no, a fighting game will not have replay value for you. You have to want to play online and against people locally and improve with the community of players you game with. That's where the replay value comes in. Learning the roster, learning how to adapt to the competition. It's addicting, to me and those like-minded at least.

While games like Street Fighter who release like 5 versions of every title, Mortal Kombat has always evolved. Adding immersive story lines, changing game mechanics, etc. so when it comes to the topic of replay value, it offers a whole lot more than any other game in the genre.

The people who play fighting games now days can be classified as a cult following, I guess. The fighting mechanics just get deeper, and deeper with consoles being capable of more that you learn something new as long as you play. I am 27, so I grew up on arcades and Nintendo. I remember playing countless hours of Mortal Kombat I, II, and III with my brother and friends when I was a boy, so I always stuck with the franchise. I also love RPGs, but I have realized the majority of shooters are not for me.

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
I think that's it for me... I just don't want to play other people online and that seems like a big barrier to extending the game mechanics. That and I don't think i have the dexterity or precision that it requires nowadays to complete the complexity of the moves that they put in the games these days. You could be dominating someone but if they pull off some super move end game. I probably don't have the patience for it. But it's interesting that brought up the 1v1 point, I hadn't thought about that and how it may appeal to some people. Especially people like me who prefers PVE over PVP.... if it's 1v1 PVP that other person might as well just as easily be a computer with more intelligence.

ijustposthere

Message Board Hero
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Purdue Boilermakers
It's understandable that you can't get into fighting games if shooters and RPGs are what you started out playing and loving. I notice that even with other gamer friends of mine. It's rare to find an individual these days who is willing to put the time and practice into getting good at a fighting game. I just personally like the 1v1 aspect, as opposed to depending on a team to produce to win. I guess it's just a different competitive mindset than the FPS gamer. And for people who play RPGs and look for a great single player element, then no, a fighting game will not have replay value for you. You have to want to play online and against people locally and improve with the community of players you game with. That's where the replay value comes in. Learning the roster, learning how to adapt to the competition. It's addicting, to me and those like-minded at least.

While games like Street Fighter who release like 5 versions of every title, Mortal Kombat has always evolved. Adding immersive story lines, changing game mechanics, etc. so when it comes to the topic of replay value, it offers a whole lot more than any other game in the genre.

The people who play fighting games now days can be classified as a cult following, I guess. The fighting mechanics just get deeper, and deeper with consoles being capable of more that you learn something new as long as you play. I am 27, so I grew up on arcades and Nintendo. I remember playing countless hours of Mortal Kombat I, II, and III with my brother and friends when I was a boy, so I always stuck with the franchise. I also love RPGs, but I have realized the majority of shooters are not for me.

Excellent post. I love all kinds of games, but I rarely get into fighting games anymore. That said, I am getting this, and I love Injustice. It's just, I can't pull off the moves like I used to. I'm not sure if I'm hitting it too fast or too slow LOL. I'm usually better with the D-pad on fighting games, just what I got used to growing up. Not to mention, these games are always great with company.

Unannounced Fart

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Southern California Trojans
Excellent post. I love all kinds of games, but I rarely get into fighting games anymore. That said, I am getting this, and I love Injustice. It's just, I can't pull off the moves like I used to. I'm not sure if I'm hitting it too fast or too slow LOL. I'm usually better with the D-pad on fighting games, just what I got used to growing up. Not to mention, these games are always great with company.

Yeah, I don't understand how people can memorize all the different button combinations for the various fighters. I just tend to learn 1, maybe 2 different fighters. But I do love watching other people play fighting games.

ijustposthere

Message Board Hero
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Purdue Boilermakers
Yeah, I don't understand how people can memorize all the different button combinations for the various fighters. I just tend to learn 1, maybe 2 different fighters. But I do love watching other people play fighting games.

The memorizing isn't difficult for me honestly, it's some of the button combinations that just don't seem to work anymore. Like I said, I'm either going too fast or too slow, I can't figure out which.

Undisputed

Liked Posts:
The memorizing isn't difficult for me honestly, it's some of the button combinations that just don't seem to work anymore. Like I said, I'm either going too fast or too slow, I can't figure out which.

It's just muscle memory really. Combos are always difficult until you do them 100 times, then it's like riding a bike. Timing really is everything in fighting games. You just have to be patient. With YouTube around, learning combos is made quite easy.

Undisputed

Liked Posts:
MKX will be delayed on the X-Box 360 and PS3. With a release date set for June 30, for now. Not looking good for last gen.

Undisputed

Liked Posts:
The OP has been updated with the final roster and DLC character information. My pre-order is payed off. I am hype as hell for this game. 10 days to go.

BNB

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  2. Oakland Raiders
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Kind of OT, but I'm kinda pissed that they never made a sequel to Shaolin Monks.

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
i never got why people that were really into competitive gaming would play a fighting game instead of something like star craft, DoTA, or even battlefield. How much tactics are there really? seems like the same shit as in the 90s. Shit isn't even 3d.

Dr. Manhattan

Liked Posts:
Love mortal kombat, probably won't buy it because I get bored of fighting games rather fast. I'll probably rent it for a few days though.

Undisputed

Liked Posts:
i never got why people that were really into competitive gaming would play a fighting game instead of something like star craft, DoTA, or even battlefield. How much tactics are there really? seems like the same shit as in the 90s. Shit isn't even 3d.

Because some people just prefer fighting games. If you think there are not much tactics involved in being good at a fighting game, it just shows your ignorance on the subject. Fighting game mechanics run much deeper as compared to the 90s games.

Last edited:

JosMin

Entirely too much tuna
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Because some people just prefer fighting games. If you think there are not much tactics involved in being good at a fighting game, it just shows your ignorance on the subject. Fighting game mechanics run much deeper as compared to the 90s games.

Which is why I've always preferred the Virtua Fighter games. Virtua Fighter 4 Evolution (and 5 was just as impressive) is still the pinnacle of fighting games, IMO. But I'm extremely pumped about MKX. Have my copy pre-ordered. Excited to play it next week!