Shark's take on Sabermetrics........

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
That is a horrendous talk even for Hawk and Stone. The A's have made the playoffs 8 out of 15 years. In this span their payroll has been over 80 million once. That was 82 million last year. It was over 70 million another time in 07. The rest of the payroll over that 15 year span never cracked over 70 million. That is insane to show that type of consistency with absolutely no money to work with. He has to rebuild and reload many of times. He has a 100 million dollar payroll. He wins the Series. I have no doubt about that. They were always one bat or one pitcher away that they could not afford to keep or get. Also, I have always questioned if Beane took the Red Sox job. Would anyone know who Theo Epstein is? Im sure Theo would have landed somewhere, but I have no doubt Beane would have led the Red Sox to the promise land himself.

I thought their talk was very accurate. He hasn't won period. He's passe don opportunities to have a larger payroll. I apprecaite what he has done but IMO he's without a doubt the most overrated GM out there.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
I thought their talk was very accurate. He hasn't won period. He's passe don opportunities to have a larger payroll. I apprecaite what he has done but IMO he's without a doubt the most overrated GM out there.

:speechless:

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
Just look at other payroll teams that have made it. Beane can't use his payroll as an excuse in my opinion.
KC just lost. What other "payroll teams" have won recently?

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Baseball is a sport it works in rather well because of the individual set play aspects to the game.

You are quantifying what winning plays in baseball are with math....basically saying a stolen base is worth this much, a walk is worth this much, a hit and so on....

then those little things certain players do like not strike out that would normally get ignored get introduced into the more complicated formula's. Its not hot air, but you would be remiss if you didn't still build a team around competitors with a winning drive, locker room spirit, good attitudes (adding to team resiliency) and passion for the game.

As a tool to identify cheap talent those days are gone because everybody is doing it, so your competitive edge to being a saber metric team is dwindling. However, a new competitive edge is available if you can use the saber metrics responsibly and do some of the old school team building methods from within the sabermetrics. Those that can still do the old school eye ball and interview advantage are now the few.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
BUT they made it. Please show me the BUT for the A's?

goalposts.jpg

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Lol, because you have no understanding of metrics that means no one does. lol Good talk. Another excellent post that shows you know absolutely nothing about sports. How many people tell you this on a daily basis?

Hey dipweed. I have an MBA with a statistics emphasis in my resume. I also have coached and taught many many young baseball players through to college and professional ranks including the major leagues. So save me your sophmoronic insults. I also know and have talked to many baseball scouts in my years and know what scouts look for in baseball players. Your insights into the use of metrics is what some in baseball are preaching in order to make a living for themselves but the truth is that this really is nothing new. But instead of what was in the good scouts and coaches heads is now printed on spreadsheets and computers. But it is not different. Eddie Stanky and Durocher were putting on defensive shifts a long long time ago, way before what is going on now. that was because they had forward scouts looking at the teams that they were going to play and what the tendencies of their hitters were. This shit isn't new. It is just presented differently.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Hey dipweed. I have an MBA with a statistics emphasis in my resume. I also have coached and taught many many young baseball players through to college and professional ranks including the major leagues. So save me your sophmoronic insults. I also know and have talked to many baseball scouts in my years and know what scouts look for in baseball players. Your insights into the use of metrics is what some in baseball are preaching in order to make a living for themselves but the truth is that this really is nothing new. But instead of what was in the good scouts and coaches heads is now printed on spreadsheets and computers. But it is not different. Eddie Stanky and Durocher were putting on defensive shifts a long long time ago, way before what is going on now. that was because they had forward scouts looking at the teams that they were going to play and what the tendencies of their hitters were. This shit isn't new. It is just presented differently.

No, no you havent. You can not even comprehend them so you ignore them. You have never taught or have a MBA in anything. Just cause its the internet doesnt mean cant read bullshit. You sir are fucked.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Just look at other payroll teams that have made it. Beane can't use his payroll as an excuse in my opinion.

Brett, really do I have to destroy this point or are you going to do your own research and let it go. I know they are in the AL but please dont hate to hate.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
I can understand if you do not think he is the best, but to call him over rated is borderline nuts. Show other teams that have made it 8 out of 15 years. That list is very short. Then, list me the ones that never had over a 82 million dollar payroll. Also, the 82 million dollar payroll was in 2014. Inflation counts but you wont find much before inflation either.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
Brett, really do I have to destroy this point or are you going to do your own research and let it go. I know they are in the AL but please dont hate to hate.

Research it. See the teams since Beane took over since 1997 that have made it to the World Series. A few with even a lower payroll than the A's. Research it up my friend.

wnd_07f4906ef6a49f1fe77890e78aae756b.jpg

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
I can understand if you do not think he is the best, but to call him over rated is borderline nuts.

Many would call him the best GM in the game. Many more top three. Those are the nutties. :)