Looking ahead to the future

dreadpirateroberts

Liked Posts:
Offseason Duties:

1. Trade Thibodeau to a team for a minimum of two first round picks.

2. Trade Gibson, Noah, and Gasol to try to get a few first round picks out their deals.

3. Hire Fred Hoiberg as head coach.

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
14 teams in the NBA try to rebuild every year. It's not so simple. Flipping from NBA purgatory to championship team is not easy, especially when you land rookies in the draft that are elite, but don't want to play for a losing team and have no patience(because they are young). It's NBA 2K mentality.

Always salvage what you have, and make the best moves possible. Rebuilding rarely gets a team to a championship. Salvaging and continued building does a lot more.
Uh yes, but I'd rather win a championship than be stick in playoff limbo for another 5-10 years. I'm not saying unload every asset for whatever draft picks and go in 76ers style.

The Bulls have tried the 76ers style before. It led them to Elton Brand, Ron Artest, Marcus Fizer, Eddy Curry, Tyson Chandler, and Jay Williams. That idea never took, was stressful, and ended the Krause regime. Paxson came in and turned the ship around in 2 years with Hinrich, Gordon, and Deng. But even then there were only a middle of the road playoff team.

The Celtics took nearly a decade to rebuild after the Bird years...Len Bias dying set them back, as did Reggie Lewis.

The Lakers have never taken that long to rebuild, but they may be looking at that now.

The Spurs are constantly rebuilding. Which to me is the model to follow. They have core pieces to keep, but I would unload the aging assets this offseason.

houheffna

Ignoring Idiots
Liked Posts:
I love the notion that only players on rookie contracts are worth keeping. Jimmy is about to get PAID/hated. Nikola is going to get PAID sooner than later. McDermott has proven nothing. I'd take Joakim Noah's huge contract over McDermott's tiny one anyday considering you KNOW what you get with Noah: a very good starting center.

Noah should be traded...he is an old 30. They should start over...Noah's contract is expendable. You definitely want to see what McDermott can do. So I disagree with you...his peak was probably last year. You know waht you are getting from Noah...which is why he can go.

Axl Rose

and I knew the silence of the world
Liked Posts:
Offseason Duties:

2. Trade Gibson, Noah, and Gasol to try to get a few first round picks out their deals.

you coulda just quoted my post or gave me a thanks :shifty:

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
The Spurs are constantly rebuilding. Which to me is the model to follow. They have core pieces to keep, but I would unload the aging assets this offseason.

The Spurs model works because they have the right coach. But that model will come to an end. When you have the right pieces, then it's easy to claim something works better than alternatives. Also, I really don't consider the Spurs a rebuilding team. The Bulls have pretty much been doing the same things, when you look at the general construction of how the team is built.

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
The Spurs model works because they have the right coach. But that model will come to an end. When you have the right pieces, then it's easy to claim something works better than alternatives. Also, I really don't consider the Spurs a rebuilding team. The Bulls have pretty much been doing the same things, when you look at the general construction of how the team is built.
The Spurs are such an interesting team. Everyone they have fits their system pretty much perfectly. They've struck gold in the draft several times, found great international players, and everyone buys into the coach's philosophy. What you say is true, the Bulls have tried to follow this model...they just couldn't get a Duncan, Parker, Ginobili combo within a few years of each other like the Spurs did. San Antonio also has more shooters (Ginobili, Leonard, Belinelli, Green, Mills, Bonner, etc) than we do which also gives them an edge. It's all about finding the right pieces. The Bulls have...a few. It's hard to find all of them.

knoxville7

I have the stride of a gazelle
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
theres not a lot you really can do if your the bulls front office. rose eats up a big chunk of the cap space. GarPax have to keep doing what they've done very well at....drafting well. there isn't a way to get anybody in FA and theres no realistic trade to be made to improve the team either. rebuilding isn't even an option when rose and his big salary is on the roster....we are kind of in limbo unfortunately. all we can hope is derrick comes back healthy, but we all know that's a huge hope

RoseMVP1

Liked Posts:
I think first and foremost we trade Gasol and Gibson. Mirotic should be starting next year. Try to trade Noah but if we don't its not the end of the world since his contract ends.

Unless Mirotic turns out to be on Dirks level, we're going to be a long ways away from being a contender.

knoxville7

I have the stride of a gazelle
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
I think first and foremost we trade Gasol and Gibson. Mirotic should be starting next year. Try to trade Noah but if we don't its not the end of the world since his contract ends.

Unless Mirotic turns out to be on Dirks level, we're going to be a long ways away from being a contender.

so we go from a deep frontcourt to a very thin one?? no thanks. trade Gibson in the offseason maybe but not Gibson AND gasol

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
I'm aware. Every team has a championship window. The Spurs will close probably soon. But even so they've reloaded with Leonard.

But I feel ours is closed after this season, so we're best to dump the old, bring in the new.

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:

As a expiring contract I feel he'll be valued by a team making a run and in need of a man in the middle.

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
I predict the next decade will top out at around 2006 level of play. We'll have the 2020 version of Kirk Hinrich manning the point (with all the grit you can ask for), perhaps we'll have Tony Snell at SG doing decent things, Jimmy at SF probably playing at around Deng level at that point, Niko hopefully being our version of Dirk, and perhaps the next generation's Tyson Chandler at center. We'll be decent, but not good enough to get into Finals discussion. Once again, always left pining for the next opportunity to luck ourselves into a superstar in the draft...because we all know we're not signing anyone.

All of the Chicago stars will come home.

Parker, Davis, Okafor ... ok, wishful thinking.

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
All of the Chicago stars will come home.

Parker, Davis, Okafor ... ok, wishful thinking.
Anthony Davis is actually the next time I'm willing to play the free agent game... assuming the Bulls aren't already winning ships by then.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
If they don't get Emmanuel Mudiay, GarPax should be fired.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
Offseason Duties:

Can you please cite the two teams willing to trade two first round picks.

dreadpirateroberts

Liked Posts:
New Orleans Pelicans, Denver Nuggets, Oklahoma City Thunder, and the Orlando Magic are a few teams that could be willing to invest in a few picks. Teams like the Pelicans and the Thunder have the talent to win but lack the coaches to get them over the hump.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
New Orleans Pelicans, Denver Nuggets, Oklahoma City Thunder, and the Orlando Magic are a few teams that could be willing to invest in a few picks. Pelicans and the Thunder have the talent to win but lack the coaches to get them over the hump.
And, as has been mentioned inn an earlier thread, you're sure the Bulls are in a bargaining position with the rumors about how great they get along, correct?

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I think that they really have to blow the team up. IF this was Rose's first injury it'd be one thing but its his 3rd in three years. they have to eat his contract and rebuild. An already weak back-court is now the worst in basketball. Look who we have...... a broken Rose, a useless Hinrich, Brooks, and Butler. They had a good chance to bring in Dragic and Affalo and FAILED. The entire situation changes if Gar/Pax had the damn sense of a sguirrel.

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Uh yes, but I'd rather win a championship than be stick in playoff limbo for another 5-10 years. I'm not saying unload every asset for whatever draft picks and go in 76ers style.

The Bulls have tried the 76ers style before. It led them to Elton Brand, Ron Artest, Marcus Fizer, Eddy Curry, Tyson Chandler, and Jay Williams. That idea never took, was stressful, and ended the Krause regime. Paxson came in and turned the ship around in 2 years with Hinrich, Gordon, and Deng. But even then there were only a middle of the road playoff team.

The Celtics took nearly a decade to rebuild after the Bird years...Len Bias dying set them back, as did Reggie Lewis.

The Lakers have never taken that long to rebuild, but they may be looking at that now.

It'll be interesting what the Spurs do don't it? We've said it before but this is the last hurrah for the old guard for them. What a run they had. It'll be interesting what Pops does after this season. Does he stay with them as they rebuild or does he retire. Wouldn't be surprised to see him wind up with a coaching gig at a small university somewhere. He's a helluva good man.

dreadpirateroberts

Liked Posts:
If I were management, I would do a rebuild like the Spurs, not a complete rebuild. While we don't have core like the Spurs, we still have some nice pieces in Butler, Mirotic, Snell, and McDermott to build around.