This should get the juices flowing!!

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
Mariota is a spread offense QB and that scares the heck out of me when he tries to move to the NFL. There is a bad track record for the vast majority of spread QBs. I am not saying he is a guaranteed bust but the odds aren't in his favor.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
This. Mariota can't rely on completing 5 yard passes and let his WR/RB's run for yards and TD's in the NFL. All these intangibles and athleticism don't mean crap if you can't throw the ball accurately past 10 yards.
Alex Smith does a pretty good job without throwing any long passes.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
I would take Winston today, tomorrow and twice on Sunday before Mariota and I dislike Winston as well. MM has zero accuracy beyond 15 yards, he onl;y takes safe throws and that sometimes doesnt work in the nfl especially with defenses being faster and more aggressive and when teams contain him in the pocket he isnt much of a threat. Yes he is a great athlete and has a big arm but that only goes so far especially in this city.
How much tape do we have of him throwing down field to go on or to be saying he can't do it or learn to do it??

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
from the CBS draft scouting....

Overly reliant on his first read, and occasionally commits the cardinal sin of throwing late across his body. Accuracy can be an issue, as Mariota misses too many open receivers, including high-percentage underneath passes.

COMPARES TO: Colin Kaepernick, 49ers -- Inconsistent accuracy is one of several reasons why Mariota most closely resemblesKaepernick among current NFL quarterbacks. Because of their extraordinary acceleration, each is a true dual-threat. Further, both adept at sliding laterally to create wider throwing lanes and using their velocity to zip passes through them. Neither Kaepernick nor Mariota, however, consistently throw their receivers open, only sporadically providing teammates run-after-the-catch opportunities.

satchice

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Oregons offense is faster than the pro game.. Mariota compares to Tannehil, with more athleticism. Not the best down field thrower, but spreads the ball around pretty well and is decisive.

Tannehil>>>>>>>Mariota

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
Mariota is a spread offense QB with accuracy issues.......this does not translate well into the NFL.....two big red flags......

Treehorn

Liked Posts:

So you're saying you want an Alex Smith type QB? Do you think you will win anything with him? Smith didn't even complete a TD pass to a WR last year.

If Pace takes Mariota at 7 and he turns in Alex Smith he will be looking for a new job.

Run the ball

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Alex Smith is like the anti Cutler, he doesn't take enough chances but he also doesn't get his Defense in bad positions.

I'd like to find a guy somewhere in the middle of those 2.

Bort

Liked Posts:
But you almost never see him sit comfortably in the pocket and go through his progressions, or make a nice anticipation throw. When teams are able to contain him in the pocket, he looks very uncomfortable, and tends to get sacked and/or fumble. 31 sacks taken last year was way too many for a guy with such good size and athleticism playing with so much talent around him.

Agreed! So why the hell is Hundley so revered by some on this MB?

That's the same reason I don't like Hundley.

IBleedBearsBlood

Liked Posts:
I think this dude will be a bust. Don't ask me why or what the fuck. Just my thought.

Sent from my iPhone 6 Plus using Tapatalk

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
So you're saying you want an Alex Smith type QB? Do you think you will win anything with him? Smith didn't even complete a TD pass to a WR last year.

If Pace takes Mariota at 7 and he turns in Alex Smith he will be looking for a new job.

Where the hell did you get that I want a Alex Smith type QB for the Bears out of my post? We were simply comparing Mariota to other QB's and I never said I wanted that type of QB.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
I think this dude will be a bust. Don't ask me why or what the fuck. Just my thought.

Sent from my iPhone 6 Plus using Tapatalk

Good insight.

Treehorn

Liked Posts:

Well the debate in this thread is about whether or not Mariota would be worth the 7 pick. Some say yes, some say no. You commented that that Alex Smith is successful in the NFL completing 5 yard passes which most would infer that you would be happy with that type of QB. Alex Smith is a below average QB and if Mariota is like Alex Smith he isn't worth the 7th pick in the draft.