Rotoworlds: NFL prospect Player Blurbs

Wild_x_Card

Liked Posts:
Danny Shelton - DL - Huskies

Sports Illustrated's Doug Farrar wrote that he hasn't "seen better overall tape from any player in this draft class" than that of Washington DT Danny Shelton.
Shelton, "despite the fact that he was double-teamed on nearly every one of the snaps he took," posted nine sacks and 16.5 tackles for loss while playing over 80 percent of Washington's defensive snaps in 2014. "Shelton can destroy pockets, he'll use his surprisingly quick feet to get past blockers and he works very well from multiple gaps," Farrar wrote. "I don't think there's an NFL team that wouldn't benefit tremendously from Shelton's addition, and in my opinion, there isn't a player in this draft with more overall value ... once you take the quarterback value equation off the board. And once his NFL team teaches him a wider array of hand moves, Shelton will be absolutely lethal."
Source: Sports Illustrated Feb 26 - 10:16 PM

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
The combine gives teams a chance to get to know and see a kid up close and personal but I really don't like when a kid has crazy differences or improvements from what he did during the playing season. Why is Beasley so improved in his jumps, time, and such. Would make me question how much he prepared to play compared to how much he prepared to make money

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

That is just silly. He prepared like everyone else during the season, when he had to wake up at 5 am, practice, go to school, lift weights, study, and then go to bed.

After the season, he had specific training for specific combine drills every day for 6 weeks ... and nothing else. Of course, he was going to have a big improvement.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
That bothers me a ton.

Not as bad as seeing him in person get pushed around in Madison....so yeah I'm not as high on Gregory as some.

I'm really hoping someone drafts Gregory before he gets to #7 so we don't have to make the decision on him cause his weight issues are concerning for sure but still love a lot of the other things about his game besides the weight issues.

Smokey Robinson

Liked Posts:
Danny Shelton - DL - Huskies

Sports Illustrated's Doug Farrar wrote that he hasn't "seen better overall tape from any player in this draft class" than that of Washington DT Danny Shelton.
Shelton, "despite the fact that he was double-teamed on nearly every one of the snaps he took," posted nine sacks and 16.5 tackles for loss while playing over 80 percent of Washington's defensive snaps in 2014. "Shelton can destroy pockets, he'll use his surprisingly quick feet to get past blockers and he works very well from multiple gaps," Farrar wrote. "I don't think there's an NFL team that wouldn't benefit tremendously from Shelton's addition, and in my opinion, there isn't a player in this draft with more overall value ... once you take the quarterback value equation off the board. And once his NFL team teaches him a wider array of hand moves, Shelton will be absolutely lethal."
Source: Sports Illustrated Feb 26 - 10:16 PM

While I would prefer a top edge rusher Shelton is a beast. He opened things up for guys like Kikaha to explode with the attention he draws. He also has some nasty to him which I like.

Wild_x_Card

Liked Posts:
While I would prefer a top edge rusher Shelton is a beast. He opened things up for guys like Kikaha to explode with the attention he draws. He also has some nasty to him which I like.

I could see Tennessee grabbing him up possibly. Horton Jr and dick LaBeau love them some Giant space eater in their 3-4. Free agency will give us a much better indicator but lets say we do draft Shelton, then you're hoping a guy like Harold, or the kid from LSU are still around when we pick again because the top 5 projected edge guys will be long gone.

Smokey Robinson

Liked Posts:
I could see Tennessee grabbing him up possibly. Horton Jr and dick LaBeau love them some Giant space eater in their 3-4. Free agency will give us a much better indicator but lets say we do draft Shelton, then you're hoping a guy like Harold, or the kid from LSU are still around when we pick again because the top 5 projected edge guys will be long gone.

Titans would be an interesting fit for him for sure for the reasons you mentioned. I still believe they go with one of the two QBs (most likely Mariota) unless Leonard Williams really blows them away.

As for the Bears I would personally only take Shelton if they can address the OLB position with at least one game-changer in FA. If the Bears somehow got their hands on Justin Houston or Junior Galette then I would be much more open to grabbing a difference making NT at 7.

Wild_x_Card

Liked Posts:
Titans would be an interesting fit for him for sure for the reasons you mentioned. I still believe they go with one of the two QBs (most likely Mariota) unless Leonard Williams really blows them away.

As for the Bears I would personally only take Shelton if they can address the OLB position with at least one game-changer in FA. If the Bears somehow got their hands on Justin Houston or Junior Galette then I would be much more open to grabbing a difference making NT at 7.

Exactly. Then its a no brainer. There are few more good looking NT prospects as well. I think Oklahoma & Florida state Products? I can't think from the top of my head ATM.

Not at 7 but perhaps in a trade down scenario.

Wild_x_Card

Liked Posts:
The NFL will consider making changes to the drills prospects go through at the NFL Combine, according to Matt Birk.
"Once we look at the data that was gathered in-game this year, it may be important to know how fast a wide receiver or defensive back can go 60 yards. Maybe for an offensive lineman it's only 20 yards," Birk said. "We run the 40-yard dash in Indianapolis. Why? The only reason anyone can ever give you is, that's how it's always been done." That is the point though, Mr. Birk, to compare the trends in results across years and even decades. Each prospect is a blip, and data is added each year. These Combine results have been effectively used by the Seahawks and many other teams. This might punish those teams even though the goal is to help create a better experience. As Zach Whitman put it, continuing to run the 40 would preserve past data.

Source: ESPN Feb 27 - 3:14 PM

Wild_x_Card

Liked Posts:
Chicago Tribune's Matt Bowen believes Texas senior CB Quandre Diggs could be an option for the Chicago Bears and could "compete for a roll as a nickel or dime defender in Fangio's system."
"Diggs projects as a core special teams player who should produce on coverage units, and I think he can compete for a roll as a nickel or dime defender in Fangio's system. One of my favorite players from the Senior Bowl, the Texas product can contribute to a Bears secondary that needs to get younger and more athletic as a mid- to late-round selection," Bowen wrote. Although Diggs lacks the ideal size at the next level, the Texas prospect shows great instincts and isn't afraid to get his hands dirty. The four-year starter played in 80 percent of the snaps in his career at Texas.

Source: Chicago Tribune Feb 27 - 3:17 PM

Wild_x_Card

Liked Posts:
Phillip Dorsett - WR - Hurricanes
Chicago Tribune's Matt Bowen feels Miami WR Phillip Dorsett would be a good option for the Bears, who "need to add some game-breaking speed that creates opportunities for explosive plays."
"Dorsett doesn't have elite size at 5-10, 185 pounds and needs to develop his route running. He's a little raw. But man, this guy can fly. And the Bears need to add some game-breaking speed that creates opportunities for explosive plays. Dorsett projects as second-round pick," Bowen wrote. With Dorsett seen as vertical-threat, he could add a much needed option to enhance the Bears' passing attack. The Miami prospect has the kind of wheels to keep opposing safeties in check.
Source: Chicago Tribune Feb 26 - 3:31 PM

Wild_x_Card

Liked Posts:
Benardrick McKinney - LB - Bulldogs
Draft insider Tony Pauline notes that Mississippi State ILB Benardrick McKinney has a meeting lined up with the New York Jets.
"The Bulldogs' pro day is tomorrow, Wednesday, but I'm already told there will be a crowd on hand for Benardrick McKinney. Nearly a dozen linebacker coaches are expected to watch McKinney, who's been drawing strong interest from the Dallas Cowboys, New York Giants,Miami Dolphins, Chicago Bears and New York Jets, who are meeting with the linebacker for dinner this evening," Pauline wrote. Jets' ILB David Harris -- who led the Jets in tackling the last four years-- is set to be a free agent. The Jets may be interested in Mckinney's combination of size, length and athleticism at the position, and may see him has a possible option to man the middle of their defense.
Source: Walter Football Mar 3 - 3:19 PM

Wild_x_Card

Liked Posts:
Shane Ray - DL - Tigers
Scouts Inc.'s Kevin Weidl believes a strong pro day workout will help Missouri EDGE Shane Ray solidify a top 20 selection.
Ray is seen by many as a locked in top 20 selection, so we applaud Weidl for breaking groupthink here. The evaluator senses there are questions about Ray's position fit. The Missouri edge rusher was held out of Combine workouts with a toe injury. Ray's pro day is on March 19.
Source: ESPN Mar 3 - 11:32 AM

Wild_x_Card

Liked Posts:
Eli Harold - DL - Cavaliers
Virginia DE/OLB Eli Harold "put forth an impressive enough workout at Virginia's pro day Monday that could have upgraded his stock for the 2015 NFL Draft," wrote NFL Media senior analyst Gil Brandt.
Harold (6-foot-3 and 247 pounds) leaped to a 34 1/2-inch vertical jump and did 24 bench reps at 225 pounds. He elected to stand on his other combine numbers, including a 1.56 10-yard split on a 4.60 forty. "Harold looked good in the position drills, showing a good burst with his hand in the ground," Brandt wrote. The edge rusher is the No. 26 prospect on Daniel Jeremiah's Top 50 rankings.
Source: NFL.com Mar 2 - 10:39 PM

Wild_x_Card

Liked Posts:
Gerod Holliman - DB - Cardinals
Louisville S Gerod Holliman "need to show a lot at his pro day to answer some of the questions scouts have about him," according to NFL Media analyst Charles Davis.
Holliman, who didn't work out at the combine, is scheduled for a March 11 pro day. The safety is coming off a ridiculously productive season, tying the FBS single-season record with 14 interceptions and earning the Jim Thorpe Award as the nation's top defensive back. "One would think he'd be generating a lot of draft buzz with those credentials, but we're hearing more about some of his fellow Louisville defensive backs in this year's draft, James Sample and Charles Gaines, than we are about Holliman," Davis wrote. "Some scouts think they're better overall players than Holliman." Why? One big reason is that Holliman can't tackle. He missed 20 in 2014, according to Lance Zierlein.
Source: NFL.com Mar 2 - 9:23 PM

Wild_x_Card

Liked Posts:
Owamagbe Odighizuwa - DL - Bruins
An NFL scout told the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel that UCLA edge rusher Owamagbe Odighizuwa is "really athletic" and "tough," but "doesn't have great instincts."
"Kid's got instincts and agility and strong hands," another scout said. "Question is, how much bigger is he going to get? He wins with power." The 6-foot-3 1/2, 267-pound Odighizuwa, a national top-20 player coming out of high school, recorded a 1.62 10-yard split on his 4.62 forty at the combine. He added a 39-inch vertical, 10'7" broad jump, 7.36 second 3-cone and 4.19 20-yard short shuttle. Odighizuwa's father Peter is serving three life sentences for a triple homicide shooting.
Source: Milwaukee Journal Sentinel Mar 2 - 1:39 AM