Favorite heavy weight boxer of all time?

TCD

Liked Posts:
I haven't really been much of a heavy weight boxing fan the last 10 years or so but I used to love the division and I love the history of the division. So who is your fav heavyweight fighter of all time?

I am a Joe Frazier guy myself that left hook was still the best left I have ever seen. Shame that he died nearly broke and sleeping in the back of his gym. Guy was an outstanding fighter and he deserved better than what he got from his promoters and the boxing world. He made his own mistakes with his money though which isn't a rare thing in the boxing world. Regardless I never liked how Ali treated him esp with that "uncle tom" bullshit he pulled. Ali was a bit of a cunt in his fighting days though. Entertaining and a great fighter but a real cunt when he wanted to be. Yah I said it..deal with it.

P.S. In their primes...Frazier would have taken Tyson out in 2 rounds with that left hook...yah DEAL WITH IT YOU TYSON MARKS..cause i know you are out there in grove yous little Tyson blow jobbers!!! Tyson could barely take out a fat over the hill Larry Holmes for fuck sakes. Tysons little bulldog attack shit would have have seen him stepping into a nice fat Frazier left hook. That is if the bookies and mob didn't have their say.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
Apollo Creed. Yes, I know he was fictitious, but Weathers played a great role. I grew up with Ali/Frazier and when the heavyweight division was the glory division. If I had to state my favorite heavyweight IRL, it would be Holyfield simply because he was the one who finally shut up Tyson.

Reactions: TCD

Warrior Spirit

The Truth
Donator
Liked Posts:
LRZwzN5.gif

Spunky Porkstacker

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Apollo Creed. Yes, I know he was fictitious, but Weathers played a great role. I grew up with Ali/Frazier and when the heavyweight division was the glory division. If I had to state my favorite heavyweight IRL, it would be Holyfield simply because he was the one who finally shut up Tyson.

I didn't care for Holyfield until he fought Tyson. But I really changed my mind on him after the first fight.

Holyfield wasn't on the same level as Ali, Frazier, Norton, or the grillmaster in my opinion. Despite his big mouth I liked Ali, with Smokin Joe a close 2nd. Ali's style of fighting really was special the way he would dance around the ring. Frazier was a fucking bulldog that just kept coming.

TCD

Liked Posts:
I didn't care for Holyfield until he fought Tyson. But I really changed my mind on him after the first fight.

Holyfield wasn't on the same level as Ali, Frazier, Norton, or the grillmaster in my opinion. Despite his big mouth I liked Ali, with Smokin Joe a close 2nd. Ali's style of fighting really was special the way he would dance around the ring. Frazier was a fucking bulldog that just kept coming.

Wasnt a big Holyfield guy either but yah he won me over also. I thought his fights with Lennox Lewis were good fights. Lewis was a decent fighter also not great but decent. I liked their two fights I thought they matches up really well. Probably the last of the heavyweight fights I actually enjoyed. Ruiz and Holyfield were okay but Ruiz never did anything for me.

Ali was a smart ass fighter for sure. Maybe the smartest heavyweight ever I think that is what made him so special. Smart in the ring and smart outside of it the way he could get into his opponents heads..I would never take that away from him. And yes he was fast and light on his feet for a heavyweight. That is what guys like Frazier and Foreman lacked (and I loved Foreman also at his peak). Put Alis footwork and ring smarts on either Frazier and Foreman and you would have the greatest hybred fighter ever.

JimJohnson

Liked Posts:
Tyson was my favorite to watch. If Cus D'Amato hadn't died, Tyson would have been Top 5 of all-time.

TCD

Liked Posts:
Tyson was my favorite to watch. If Cus D'Amato hadn't died, Tyson would have been Top 5 of all-time.

I think an argument can be made that he is a top 5 of all time anyways. I'm not the biggest fan and wouldn't put him there but would completely understand why others would... the dude was strong, fast, vicious and hit haaaaaard!!! I don't think he could take a punch well myself and was totally mind fucked by his fame which was the worst thing for him and ruined his reputation. So yah Cus D'Amato would have certainly grounded him.

Hard to ever do a top 5 list with heavyweights there were so many great ones through history even going way way back to Dempsey even further.

Spunky Porkstacker

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Tyson was so strong and such a hard hitter its hard to say how he would have done against a Frazier or Ali and Foreman. I'm not sure he had the Boxing skills Frazier and Ali had, but in his prime he may not have needed them he was such a devastating puncher.

TCD

Liked Posts:
Tyson was so strong and such a hard hitter its hard to say how he would have done against a Frazier or Ali and Foreman. I'm not sure he had the Boxing skills Frazier and Ali had, but in his prime he may not have needed them he was such a devastating puncher.

Yup will never know and fantasy matches on video games just ain't enough proof. My fantasy fight is actually Tyson vs Foreman to be honest. Power vs power. A very large man vs a very small bulldog. Would be interesting to see if Foreman could hold off a Tyson attack and if Tyson could take a Foreman punch. Foreman was a devistating puncher also. Still amazed that Ali took the ass kicking that he did from him...well he didn't take it well in the long run..but you get it.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
This conversation has reminded me of the great US Olympic Boxing Team from 1976. Lots of gold medals. The fighters I remember most were Sugar Ray Leonard and the Spinks brothers.

FirstTimer

v. 2.0: Fully Modded
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Ali. Only Ali. He's the Alpha and Omega of this question.

FirstTimer

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:

In Tyson's "prime" he lost to Buster Douglas. Tyson might be the most overrated heavyweight of all time. He beat no fighter of note. Holmes was ancient and washed up and had to be lured out of retirement and Spinks was 32 and done right after Tyson beat him. Some tomato can wins. Any noteworthy fighter Tyson faced in their prime Tyson lost to(Holyfield/Lewis).

Tyson's resume is awful.

Last edited:

Spunky Porkstacker

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Why are you quoting me? I said Ali then Frazier, Foreman. Tyson fought in an era not rich in HW talent he punched hard but who knows how well he would have done in a different time. I was no Tyson fan boy at all, it was said he didn't take Douglas seriously and wasn't well trained for that fight. He had a new trainer for that fight that was said to have been in way over his head.

FirstTimer

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Read my earlier post. No Cus D'Amato

I don't care if Tyson was being trained by Bozo the Clown. A prime Mike Tyson should never lose to Buster freakin' Douglas if he is the best HW of all time.

FirstTimer

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
So how was it that Ali wasn't undefeated?

Ali lost 5 bouts his entire career. 3 of those losses were after the age of 36 and in his last 4 fights when he was a complete shell of himself and medically shouldn't have even been boxing.

His only other losses were to Frazier(who he ended up beating twice after the loss) and Ken Norton(who he ended up beating two more times as well)

Your question makes zero sense. Ali wasn't undefeated because he lost to some of the greatest fighters of all time and then avenged those losses multiple times. Tyson wasn't undefeated because he lost to Buster Douglas.