Favorite heavy weight boxer of all time?

FirstTimer

v. 2.0: Fully Modded
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
I think its laughable that you dismiss Tyson's win against Holmes just because of age.
LOL it's not only his age but it's also the fact Holmes hadn't fought in nearly two years, was old, and only came out of retirement for the paycheck.

Mercer was a meh HW. If we are propping up Tyson because Tyson beat a just out of retirement 39 year old Holmes who beat Mercer(4 years later after coming out of retirement again but having 5 previous fights this time prior to Mercer)...I'm going to continue to be unimpressed.

Larry Holmes was clearly past his prime. I find it funny that Holmes took Holyfield all the way to a decision..something Tyson never did and I'm supposed to be impressed by Tyson beating Holmes.

Last edited:

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Also, Holyfield vs. Tyson. The first fight is still controversial with the head butts. The second fight. Tyson had no intention of actually boxing him. He planned the ear biting. Im convinced of that. Tyson lost his mind to the game. Don King was the death of him. Even against Buster Douglas. He didnt take the fight that seriously and was mentally fucked in life by now. Douglas was fighting for his mom. It created the perfect storm.

FirstTimer

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Im still waiting for you to actually judge a boxer in his prme and not because you didnt like his opponents.

Part of judging a guy in his prime is who he beat and who his prime was against...so far Tyson beat pretty much no one.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
LOL it's not only his age but it's also the fact Holmes hadn't fought in nearly two years, was old, and only came out of retirement for the paycheck.

Mercer was a meh HW. If we are propping up Tyson because Tyson beat a just out of retirement 38 year old Holmes who beat Mercer...I'm going to continue to be unimpressed.

Larry Holmes was clearly past his prime. I find it funny that Holmes took Holyfield all the way to a decision..something Tyson never did and I'm supposed to be impressed by Tyson beating Holmes.

Lulz

FirstTimer

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Also, Holyfield vs. Tyson. The first fight is still controversial with the head butts. The second fight. Tyson had no intention of actually boxing him. He planned the ear biting. Im convinced of that. Tyson lost his mind to the game. Don King was the death of him. Even against Buster Douglas. He didnt take the fight that seriously and was mentally fucked in life by now. Douglas was fighting for his mom. It created the perfect storm.

Cool. Sounds like Tyson was really mentally strong. I'm sure with Ali that wouldn't have been a huge issue. LOL. Ken Norton would have murdered Tyson, let alone Tyson vs Ali.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Cool. Sounds like Tyson was really mentally strong. I'm sure with Ali that wouldn't have been a huge issue. LOL. Ken Norton would have murdered Tyson, let alone Tyson vs Ali.

Still missing the prime part.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
A prime Tyson lost to Buster Douglas. A prime Tyson is likely decapitated by Ken Norton early in Round 2.
Even Norton's kid could punch out a goal post! Tyson surely would have lost. :D

[video=youtube;0dcmGx87eQE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0dcmGx87eQE[/video]

Last edited:

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Tyson was an early bloomer. Tyson at 19 was a monster, and he had the potential to start his career 40-0 with years at the top had he not been interrupted. Buster Douglas did happen though.

I was too young, cried for Tyson and believed him innocent. Haha.

The best fight I ever saw was Tyson vs Holyfield 1. I do not believe Tyson was 100% what he was yet when he was 19, and I think that fight furthered brain damage he never recovered from. He took massive hits repeatedly from a heavy weight. was knocked down several times, and took undefended shots straight to the dome in succession. The ref waited too long to stop it.

On that night, there are not many fighters in all of history who could have stopped the mission that Holyfeild was on. I do believe tyson was in "good" form as he was revitalizing his career and trashing other competition to warm-up. He was a great fighter in that fight, and he met another who somehow peaked himself for that fight. Holyfield was often in great shape, but watch that fight and you will see that as Holyfeilds peak.

The reason he peaked, was because Tyson was a monster, that motivation drove him to become an unstoppable physical and mental force through intense preperation. He even had god on his side that day in his mind. He was fighting for God against a tyrant and a monster in his mind. He becames Gods bully and bullied the bully as a gameplan, using his size to push Tyson around, his fight plan was beautiful, he kept in his head, talked the right trash, only street game, the head butts, could get to Tyson.

Tyson kind of showed he was a street bully there by becoming a victim when confronted. It was an incredible job of Holyfield to get to that physical condition, have the bully plan, push and tie up. Don't let him uppercut, don't let him hook. Grapple grapple fight with length and then bully. Tyson was confused as hell and frustrated as hell and it still took Holyfield 10 rounds to catch him, I believe 11 for the TKO.

Holyfield was a great fighter prone to excesses and was up and down in his condition, which is why he was a 3 or 4 time Heavy weight champion. Unlike Ali who is the only other man besides maybe Foreman?, to do this feat, Ali was stripped once. Meaning he didn't lose it in a fight.

I still think Holyfield possessed some of the greatest fighting traits I have seen. He was a perfect ecto-mesomorph combination body with speed and strength to wear down fighters long into fights.

Because of Tyson's size limitations, I believe other fighters through history could have employed a gameplan to beat him, but I also think Tyson was capable of catching Holyfield that night, and would be capable in his prime, or even at 19, of beating anyone in history also. His power gives him a punchers chance against anyone. No rope-a-dope is going to save you to uppercuts and hooks.

JimJohnson

Liked Posts:
I was too young, cried for Tyson and believed him innocent. Haha.

Hate to break it to you but Tyson was innocent. The so called "rape victim," Desiree Washington, had a history of claiming rape before Tyson. On top of that, Tyson was defended by Don King's tax attorney. WTF? Anyone worth a damn would have completely discredited Ms. Washington.

ijustposthere

Message Board Hero
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Purdue Boilermakers
Hate to break it to you but Tyson was innocent. The so called "rape victim," Desiree Washington, had a history of claiming rape before Tyson. On top of that, Tyson was defended by Don King's tax attorney. WTF? Anyone worth a damn would have completely discredited Ms. Washington.

Mike-Tyson-You-Disgust-Me-Meme.jpg

theOHIOSTATE!

Liked Posts:
Bump, I like Lennox....

Holyfield was more like a cruiserweight on steroids, and Tyson never was able to regain the mystique he had before Tokyo happened....and honestly his ride was before my time. I do vividly remember being at my uncle's place and him having a Tyson fight on HBO and it being a huge deal and my father being like, holy crap that guy is invincible.....

In the end Tyson is a 5"10 heavyweight, and in a sport where the jab is the most effective weapon for boxers, that's going to catch up with you at some point when you're fighting guys 6"3 and above if they have a decent jab and some movement skills. Lennox Lewis had such legit size/length and such an unstoppable jab.

Monk

I hate acronyms
Donator
Liked Posts:
Roy Jones Jr