Does hostility from management help a team succeed?

Axl Rose

and I knew the silence of the world
Liked Posts:
The key to the dynasty continuing or failing was supposedly Jackson, not Pippen. Pippen was an afterthought. The first domino was Phil Jackson.

I post this often, I have heard Steve Rosenbloom and Terry Boers openly agree with what was written here per their inside sources with the organization...

'Jerry Reinsdorf did not break up Michael Jordan's Chicago Bulls basketball dynasty. Neither did Jerry Krause, who infamously said that "organizations (not players) win championships."'......

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/columns/story?id=1936782

great read

always enjoying reading about the Bulls championship years/aftermath

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
I don't trust Sam Smith. Sam Smith has done a number of "I was there" articles that conflicted with his own writing and what others say in their tell-all discussion/articles/books. He slips truth in with fiction very well, and I wouldn't hesitate to question some of his claims. Seems to me that he's the one that could be spinning the narrative. The man is not a beacon of honesty when it comes to his writing. Unfortunately, not to many journalists are, so his 'record' of information and his spin will be archived above worse trash.

PolarBear

Liked Posts:
Phil Jackson in his book "Eleven Rings" (which I am currently reading and is a great book by the way) he says that Jerry Krause told him he was going to be fired before his final season here in Chicago. Krause basically said that after this season even if they win 82 games, he was gone.

Krause and Phil's relationship fell through starting when Krause fired Johnny Bach for something Phil knew Johnny didn't do.

Axl Rose

Liked Posts:
Phil Jackson in his book "Eleven Rings" (which I am currently reading and is a great book by the way) he says that Jerry Krause told him he was going to be fired before his final season here in Chicago. Krause basically said that after this season even if they win 82 games, he was gone.

Krause and Phil's relationship fell through starting when Krause fired Johnny Bach for something Phil knew Johnny didn't do.

Jerry did offer Phil a contract but he declined

he let the Krause/Phil feud go on to long

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
I don't trust Sam Smith. Sam Smith has done a number of "I was there" articles that conflicted with his own writing and what others say in their tell-all discussion/articles/books. He slips truth in with fiction very well, and I wouldn't hesitate to question some of his claims. Seems to me that he's the one that could be spinning the narrative. The man is not a beacon of honesty when it comes to his writing. Unfortunately, not to many journalists are, so his 'record' of information and his spin will be archived above worse trash.
Does this particular article really conflict with much. It goes on to say Krause did want to break up the team, was trying to trade Pippen for years and feuded with Jackson all the time. It's also well know that Reinsdorf personally sat in on contract negotiations, often times running the negotiations up until a few years ago. So it would seem Reinsdorf kept that team together longer while Krause wanted to get something for Pippen while he could, which he couldn't.

I know that Pippen for Kemp and Ricky Pierce was close to happening according to the media at the time in 1994, but George Karl put a stop to it. Not sure about this Pippen to the Celtics for their picks and some players, how realistic that was in 1997..

Axl Rose

Liked Posts:
Crumbs had a pretty good eye for talent though

if he didn't have ego problems he would probably still be a GM today

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
Does this particular article really conflict with much. It goes on to say Krause did want to break up the team, was trying to trade Pippen for years and feuded with Jackson all the time. It's also well know that Reinsdorf personally sat in on contract negotiations, often times running the negotiations up until a few years ago. So it would seem Reinsdorf kept that team together longer while Krause wanted to get something for Pippen while he could, which he couldn't.

I know that Pippen for Kemp and Ricky Pierce was close to happening according to the media at the time in 1994, but George Karl put a stop to it. Not sure about this Pippen to the Celtics for their picks and some players, how realistic that was in 1997..

Oh no, a lot of it is true and backed up to no ends. Thus why I said mixing truth with fiction (as a trait of Smith).

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Crumbs had a pretty good eye for talent though

if he didn't have ego problems we would probably still be a GM today
He made numerous mistakes after the breakup.. I also don't think he was ever patient within his grand plan and just fell in love with certain people way too much.. The Tim Floyd thing is an example of a coach he fell in love with and was going to be stubborn about it no matter what.

As the article stated, his grand plan was the draft two role players in 1999 and then go hard after TMac in 2000 free agency and another player. Of course if Krause had complete real control.. based on this article it sounds like the Bulls would have drafted TMac in 1997 and developed him themselves.

Krause usually got this hard on for certain players and just had to have them no matter what... That's how the whole Eddy Curry-Tyson Chandler thing came to be too. He had a major hard on for Eddy Curry. Its not reported in that particular article, but it's been said the Brand deal was mainly made because the Clippers were going to draft Curry at #2. Krause promised them Brand for Chandler so he could draft Curry at #4. What is said about Brand is probably true as well in that they viewed him as an undersized PF who could never be a #1 option on the team... That's probably true (as Brand proved he never was).

Brad Sellers in the 80's was another player Krause had a hard on for...Jordan absolutely hated Sellers and thought him to be one awful player. Sellers didn't last long here and certainly never amounted to much in the NBA.

Axl Rose

Liked Posts:
He made numerous mistakes after the breakup.. I also don't think he was ever patient within his grand plan and just fell in love with certain people way too much.. The Tim Floyd thing is an example of a coach he fell in love with and was going to be stubborn about it no matter what.

As the article stated, his grand plan was the draft two role players in 1999 and then go hard after TMac in 2000 free agency and another player. Of course if Krause had complete real control.. based on this article it sounds like the Bulls would have drafted TMac in 1997 and developed him themselves.

Krause usually got this hard on for certain players and just had to have them no matter what... That's how the whole Eddy Curry-Tyson Chandler thing came to be too. He had a major hard on for Eddy Curry. Its not reported in that particular article, but it's been said the Brand deal was mainly made because the Clippers were going to draft Curry at #2. Krause promised them Brand for Chandler so he could draft Curry at #4. What is said about Brand is probably true as well in that they viewed him as an undersized PF who could never be a #1 option on the team... That's probably true (as Brand proved he never was).

Brad Sellers in the 80's was another player Krause had a hard on for...Jordan absolutely hated Sellers and thought him to be one awful player. Sellers didn't last long here and certainly never amounted to much in the NBA.

oh he definitely made his mistakes

i don't think his grand plan was a bad one though it just didn't pan out

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
oh he definitely made his mistakes
And every GM makes mistakes.. I don't expect him to bat 1.000. We know Paxson hasn't.

Just seems the mistakes after the breakup were more so clusterfucks than not.

The one unknown will always be Jay Williams. He had a solid rookie year, so its interesting to see what became of that Krause pick had he not got on a motorcycle.

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Yes, it was a power play by Phil and MJ against Crumbs. And my 1st post about Krause stated all the things he did well. I think you have a reading comprehension problem son. :yep:

Why do you think that my post was pointed at you? My comment is a general one and opened up what I feel is the truth about what happened to the "dynasty".

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Just where the heck did I say anything about Van Gundy, or where he was, or was not coaching? :smh: VDN was who I was talking about, and the guy we were talking about. You know, the guy that actually coached the Bulls, you know, Vinny Del Negro.

55267137.jpg

I apologize. I read it wrong. I read Van Gundy instead of Vinny. Again, I apologize.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
Don't forget: GarPax didn't deliver Afflalo or Dragic.

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
burn them at the stake!!!

Hinrich would save them with a fire extinguisher. That is if it doesn't require firing accuracy to wield.

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Don't forget: GarPax didn't deliver Afflalo or Dragic.

For sure. Why should they? After all, we had Dunleavy, Hinrich, and McDermott on the team. They sure built a great team this season, didn't they?

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
For sure. Why should they? After all, we had Dunleavy, Hinrich, and McDermott on the team. They sure built a great team this season, didn't they?
You just refuse to get it.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
Van Gundy made a point that "this regime" has always ran its coaches out. My argument is unless Reinsdorf himself is running coaches out of town, we've had a regime change since the last coachess. Van Gundy made the point that Collins and Jackson were ran out of town. Krause made the decision that Collins wasn't going to get it done to win this team a championship, therefore canned him. Collins never did prove he could win a championship. Jackson obviously proved he could... multiple times and with two different teams multiple times.

I'll agree with you that Pax (and Gar) have a skill for determining talent, but they may be nothing but glorified scouts. If they lack the people skills, they should get out of the way for someone who does know peoples skills. I also feel like this organization is beyond Special person if they got rid of Thibs. As Van Gundy has said, Thibs will be hired within a millisecond of being fired/let go from the Bulls.
Jerry Reinsdorf, historically, has been a hands off owner.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
Fire Pax, and the morale skyrockets. Fire Thibs and a lot of the players we want to see stick around, will run out their contracts and go.
C'mon now, you know as long as a Reinsdorf (well, at the very least Jerry) is owning this team there is no way in hell Paxson goes anywhere.

Bear Pride

Bears Gonna Shock the World!
Liked Posts:

Exactly. There was much more going on then meets the eye. Crumbs played a large part in dismantling the team. We likely won't know all of the stuff ever, but I bet it would make a good movie if it does come out.

That Bulls team was like the Beatles, no one talks about the all nighters with Jordan out all night gambling and Rodman out screwing Madonna ans shit. Krause was a jealous bastard, and did everything he could to let those guys know he was boss. It's not like you go and trade MJ tho.