Wut the wut?

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
:speechless:

Liked Posts:
I also don't know how I feel about this. I really liked Ben Smith and in 156 games, Smith has 23 Goals and 16 assists, while Desjardins has 15 goals and 33 assists in 272 games. Was this trade really necessary?

winos5

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Liked Smith, but at the end of the day, it gives us cap space and we get a hard nosed 4th liner willing to drop gloves in return who is also good on the PK. Pure cap move. No great loss. 4th line energy guys come and go. Good luck in San Jose Ben, I'll miss the energy you brought to the ice every game.

Pez68

Fire Quenneville
Liked Posts:
Desjardins is tough, can play a bit, is a center, wins faceoffs at a decent clip, plays physical, and plays the PK. He's a good fighter. He's half the price of Smith and a UFA at the end of the season. This is a great trade. He fills a need on the 4th line and Smith won't be missed... This could also be a potential Kruger replacement on the cheap... if the Hawks decide Kruger is going to be too expensive to bring back next season.

JErryAZuma

BallHawk/CardShark
Liked Posts:
They should keep Kruger does too much on PK . And he is not a liability , should be more productive but his game fits here.

PatrickShart

Liked Posts:
Or bring up Daneault next year to do what Smith did....and use some of the 1.5 mil towards Kruger

Smith wasn't living up to the 1.5mil to only be a PK'er

Zero physicality and zero offense (this year)

winos5

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Would be nice to keep Kruger, but the bottom line is Toews/Kane got paid and there are more important pieces to keep than Kruger...like Sharp, Seabrook and Saad. Would not surprise me at all if he is traded.

derosabomb

Joecawks is a dope
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
way to go stan, way to steep of a price, right joecawks?

TCD

Liked Posts:
Smith was having a pretty bad year even by 4th line player standards and i have always been a smith fan but i have no issues with this small deal. Desjard adds a little more physicality which is the main thing for me so its all good. Not a deal that will make or break the hawks anyways.

Smith must have been the actual wife fucker also. We were all duped.

Pez68

Fire Quenneville
Liked Posts:
Would be nice to keep Kruger, but the bottom line is Toews/Kane got paid and there are more important pieces to keep than Kruger...like Sharp, Seabrook and Saad. Would not surprise me at all if he is traded.

It would be nice, but he is a luxury. If he wants too much money, see ya....

mikita's helmet

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Smith must have been the actual wife fucker also. We were all duped.

Big time! None of us saw it coming. just like Smith, this trade caught with our pants (or trowsers) around our collective ankles.

Reactions: TCD

DMelt36

Bolland > You
Liked Posts:
Loved Ben Smith on the Hawks but he didn't do anything that can't be replaced.

biscuit_in_the_basket

Gigacore Fan!
Liked Posts:
I also don't know how I feel about this. I really liked Ben Smith and in 156 games, Smith has 23 Goals and 16 assists, while Desjardins has 15 goals and 33 assists in 272 games. Was this trade really necessary?

It's not all about the offensive stats....especially for a 4th liner.

JErryAZuma

BallHawk/CardShark
Liked Posts:
Day- jar- Dan will be a way better playoff guy imo. But of course Smith pots one first period first goal of the game. That's okay though, good for him he deserves it. Kruger knows he will most likely be next, maybe that will elevate his offensive game up until and through the playoffs.

If Bicks doesn't produce in the playoffs this year ( last two playoffs , only reason he is still here) I think shedding his contract would be a good play. I think Hartman can play that game and probably produce in the regular season too. I think Hartman could eventually be a stud, Burish type competitive loose pucks, board battles, and hits. Hard-nosed enough to stick up for the stars. Defense will be where he can earn a starter roll in the summer. Or I'm a homer and think our AHL guys are all studs.

ClydeLee

Liked Posts:
Without Smith on contract for next year Kruger has a chance to be resigned. Or maybe they even look at Vermy and trade Krugers RFA rights. Depends on what they can get, they may be able to weasel Kruger cheaply still. I honestly think with most systems and teams he'd play well as a legit 3rd checking line center and be worth that 3.3Mil range guys around the league have. If he's keep-able at 2.0-2.5 though it's probably a good move. Presuming you trade enough.

If all Hartman can do is be a Burish type he's a vast disappointment. Really he should be like Shaw as in last years form of Shaw, the puck battling type but using the skill he has.

Bickell good like he always is in the playoffs. It always bothers me people just refer to last 2 years despite him having great performances in his other two playoffs from his full time seasons with the Hawks. His line whether with Bolland, Folik, or Shaw paired with him produced the greatest in both the Canucks series and he was one of the few lines generating consistent opportunities and goals vs Phoenix.... regardless he needs to be shipped away good or bad post-season. That will just alter his return. I've always been not against his deal but it's a matter of fitting. He still was worth keeping last and this year hoping to get that role because nobody could replace it immediately. Now it's time to let McNeil/Ross get a shot as well along with the aforementioned Hartman.