Former coaches on Cutler

PrideisBears

Bully Mod
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
I became convinced of that last season. I mean, Cutler was playing so bad it was insane. He wasn't executing on simple throws that we have seen him do in his sleep.

It LOOKED like he was pissed off and didn't want to do what he was supposed to and wasn't able to invest in what was going on.

Why though?

fenderpfunk

Liked Posts:
Another R word was used by staffers to describe Cutler - 'randy'.

Myk

85in25
Liked Posts:
I really hope that rogue shit isnt true about Cutler. It basically says fuckvyou to the coach and team. Its childish

Like McMahon who actually did say fuck you coach? Personally if I was a coach I'd be working on that kind of improvising. A plan is good to have but there's another team out there trying to screw the plan up. I think we've had too much stick to the plan, the plan is perfect ego and not enough teach the players how to play.

I guess it depends on what kind of rogue shit we're talking about. Given the results of the benching I don't think it was a complete disregard and probably more like a McMahon if there is any.

3rd N Long said:

Love the sarcasm, but not Shanahan now. Instead of Trestman would've been OK. Forced on Lovie instead of Martz to possibly replace Lovie would've been good. Brought in to replace Lovie along with Cutler would've been funny.

Shanny traded up for Cutler, so if he talked shit about Cutler it would ruin any sort of credibility he currently has

Which would give it more credibility if he did have something bad to say about him. But it wouldn't really hurt his credibility, that was a long time ago and can be blamed on many coaches since.

If Cutlers range of what he can execute is that narrow, then he isn't worth the time. And it sounds like he does not react well to adversity or challenge, something that isn't very hard to believe.

It's worth more than what we've had in an extremely long time and probably what we'll be able to get for at least a short while. Unless your goal is the #1 pick next year to get a QB with, in which case, I'm willing, are you? How about all those who were melting down this year? Are we going to have to find a new HC and GM to get that #1 pick?
I'd find it pretty hard to believe that Cutler planned his life around being a pro-QB that was only prepared to work with his first HC/OC/QC. It could be a personality flaw but I'd think anyone would be prepared for those positions to change through a career.

Whatever the new staff decides. I gave Trestman a chance in spite of what I thought, I can give them a chance.

Desperado34

Liked Posts:
Not sure I buy the "tailor the offense to Cutler" thing.

Now, obviously you want your O to emphasize the QB's strengths. But there ALWAYS comes a point where your QB needs to grow and develop. There will always be a wall where that QB has to expand his comfort zone.

If Cutlers range of what he can execute is that narrow, then he isn't worth the time. And it sounds like he does not react well to adversity or challenge, something that isn't very hard to believe.
Wow.

Type 1 diabetic playing quarterback in the NFL who was diagnosed while in the league. "Doesn't react well to adversity or challenge."

Should we also debunk that notion with him being qb for Vanderbilt for 4 years? In the SEC..

Desperado34

Liked Posts:
I recall making this point specifically a year ago, as were DaaBears and Vash and others. It wasn't about McCown being more talented than Cutler, it was about who ran the system better.

But yet NOONE ran Marc's systems well after year 2 ;)-- because he always ended up sucking as OC.

Monsieur Tirets

Liked Posts:
Jay wasnt any worse last year than he always was. Its a fallacy that he "regressed" in 14. Fact of the matter is he always missed easy reads, always threw inaccurate balls, and always did all of the same BS that was on display last season.

ijustposthere

Message Board Hero
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Purdue Boilermakers
O.k, but as posters, it's also not our decision to come up with a plan for Cutler. most are expressing what they would do. The whole "WHAT'S YOUR PLAN?!?" shit is equally ridiculous.

But if someone is expressing what they would do, who they would replace Cutler with is a fairly valid question.

I don't know what baring that has on the current regime. they were a horribly run team back then.

None, but they haven't exactly proven to be a much better run team as of late.

The fact that the Bears have been notorious for bad QBs in the past doesn't make the likelihood of them being so in the future any higher. Different people running the show.

How may times have we said this now in regards to this very question? That said, I'm with you, Bears need to just keep drafting a QB until they find one.

Dagman310

Liked Posts:
Slauson went down to start the season

#3 WR Wilson went down to start the season

#2 TE went down to start the season

#1 WR was injured before the season and played injured the entire season, looking nothing like the elite WR he was in previous years. Then gets an injury that finally puts him out for the season towards the end of 2014.

#2 WR started off the season injured & regressed as a WR. Committed 5 false starts & started dropping passes like it was his job.

The O-line as a whole had multiple injuries & was no where near as effective as the 2013 season. You know that 2013 season, where the entire starting O-line started each and very game all year long. Which is an extremely rare occurence in the NFL. The Bears had 9 false starts in 2013 & 27 (2nd worst in the NFL) in 2014. Totally Cutler fault right?

Forte had 1 run of 20 yards or more. A 32 yard run. 40+ other RB in the NFL had at least 2 or more 20 yard runs. Forte was not a good rushing RB in 2013 per carry & failed many times in 2nd & 3rd and short plays. Forte seemed to go down by shoe string tackles way too easily.

Trestman play calling was extremely predictable & did what history said it would. It regressed severely in overall production during the 2nd year.

Cutler threw 28 TD & 18 INT. 5-6 of which were end of half Hail Mary passes. Don't let that fact get in the way of a good story though about league leading INT. HSomething he was tied with Rivers for. The sack totals were unacceptable yet again for an O-line that regressed. Cutler hasn't even come close to having an O-line in front of him that keeps him clean in the pocket like Denver O-line did. 2008 with Denver Cutler was sacked 11 times over the course of 616 pass attempts. Yet somehow he comes to Chicago and suddenly he doesn't know how to avoid being sacked or holds on to the ball too long? Much of which had to do with Chicago not designing their offense around his abilities. One of which is being an above average QB mobility wise, that was excellent at avoiding the pass rush behind a great zone blocking O-line.

No need to mention any of those things though, they are just excuses and not trying to understand the totality of why things went poorly for the 2014 Bears offense. Instead just say the QB was awful, sucked, held the team back from the Super Bowl & is way past needing to be replaced finally.

Notice I didn't even bother to mention the horrific defense the Bears put on the field in 2013 or 2014. Something that was easily the biggest anchor holding this team back the last couple of years & something that put a tremendous stress on the teams ability to win games.

Nope Cutler is a bad guy, doesn't care about football & just threw for 28 TD and 18 INT....better pack that bad boy up and get him out of town. Especially since his QB salary is now closer to the average QB salary in the NFL & falling. We don't want that kind of production from a QB in Chicago. Especially when all the pieces in place around him were so efficient and productive. If only Cutler wasn't there holding back the 2014 Bears, I bet they would have made the playoffs. Lord knows Cutler was the reason they had two 50 burgers in a row dropped on them by the Patriots and Packers. Most QB's that are natural born leaders wouldn't have allowed that to happen, as we all know of course. That's just simple logic isn't it?
Well said

PrideisBears

Bully Mod
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
But if someone is expressing what they would do, who they would replace Cutler with is a fairly valid question.

None, but they haven't exactly proven to be a much better run team as of late.

How may times have we said this now in regards to this very question? That said, I'm with you, Bears need to just keep drafting a QB until they find one.

The bears have been one of the worst run organizations for decades now and we've been saying the next regime will turn it around for the same amount of time. Pount is most of these folks who shun those who have doubt dont know a damn thing but they have no problem clique-ing up and patting each other on the back. I want tge bears to be like the packers, patriots, colts hell even the49ers. Organizations that have success frequently , not just tge half assed plan of "dont worry, the new regime will turn us around" bullshit

Jester

White Guy
Liked Posts:
The talk in the past has been that Pace and Foc were doing just this, seeking the opinions of past coaches.

Why would having a coaching staff that's actually doing their homework concern you? Sometimes your posts make no sense at all. Maybe they are trying to understand the team dynamics on the field and in the locker room? Maybe they are trying to get a feel for everything that got a talented offense to where it is today?

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
If Cutler had show any signs of developing or improving over the last 8 years, then imo he would get a lot more slack. But to me, he appears to be pretty much the same as he was back in Denver. Same problems, same mistakes. There has to be a point where he is the issue.

PrideisBears

Bully Mod
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
If Cutler had show any signs of developing or improving over the last 8 years, then imo he would get a lot more slack. But to me, he appears to be pretty much the same as he was back in Denver. Same problems, same mistakes. There has to be a point where he is the issue.

I disagree. If anyting Cutler did improve under Martz but began regressing later on. He isnt the main issue but is one of tgem. Problem is convincing the mob that its not all on the QB. Good luck with that though since that has been the line of thinking for fucking decades

Jester

White Guy
Liked Posts:
I disagree. If anyting Cutler did improve under Martz but began regressing later on. He isnt the main issue but is one of tgem. Problem is convincing the mob that its not all on the QB. Good luck with that though since that has been the line of thinking for fucking decades

Agreed. Cutler isn't the only reason this team sucks right now, in fact he would be pretty low on the list of problems if it wasn't for his contract. IMO, his latest contract is the biggest issue with Cutler. He is so highly overpaid for his performance that it makes it tough to stomach. If he was paid like a 15-20 ranked QB in the league I wouldn't have an issue.

It's like others said, he is what he is now, and never reached his ceiling IMO. Unfortunately we paid based on his ceiling, not for how he has played here.

PrideisBears

Bully Mod
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Yeah bro! Imagine tho what he could have done with Ariansz!?

Please dont become like the rest of the clique. You are a great poster, dont degrade yourself to childish antics

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Agreed. Cutler isn't the only reason this team sucks right now, in fact he would be pretty low on the list of problems if it wasn't for his contract. IMO, his latest contract is the biggest issue with Cutler.

Disagree. His problems are the multiple critical flaws in his game. His inability to maintain composure and technique in the pocket while going through progressions downfield, his inability to read a defense, his wildly inconsistent accuracy, his habit of locking on to his first receiver, inability to look off a safety because he has to use half fields due to a lack of vision/downfield reading, his atrocious decision making, his lack of football maturity (still hasn't refined the talent he does have to know when he can use his arm strength to make a play and when he can't), his refusal to adjust the way he holds the ball and work on not fumbling when hit .... these would all be critical issues hindering a team's chances whether he's making 20 million a year or league minimum. I would want Cutler replaced regardless of his salary because I don't believe we can win with him.

Cutler's problem is not his contract. His contract is what you pay these days for a franchise QB. The salary cap adjusts for that and the Bears are in fine cap condition. The problem is that he isn't a franchise QB.

Last edited:

DaaBears

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Please dont become like the rest of the clique. You are a great poster, dont degrade yourself to childish antics

The "clique" that you speak of is now about 95% of this message board. That clique are the ones that get it.

PrideisBears

Bully Mod
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
The "clique" that you speak of is now about 95% of this message board. That clique are the ones that get it.

No sir. The clique has their own special group. Most of the board wants to replace Cutler(Im in that as well) but dont feel like talking about him non stop. Thing is I dont even consider part of the clique since you stray away to other topics.

Also I'm sorry about your dog. I was in a even worse mood than normal when you posted about it so I refrained myself from saying something nasty. I have two dogs myself and had them for 6 years each and they mean the world to me

DaaBears

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
No sir. The clique has their own special group. Most of the board wants to replace Cutler(Im in that as well) but dont feel like talking about him non stop. Thing is I dont even consider part of the clique since you stray away to other topics.

Also I'm sorry about your dog. I was in a even worse mood than normal when you posted about it so I refrained myself from saying something nasty. I have two dogs myself and had them for 6 years each and they mean the world to me

Thanks. Go Bears!