Lance Zierlein Mock 2.0

Smokey Robinson

Liked Posts:
http://www.nfl.com/draft/2015/mock-drafts/lance-zierlein/230604

Pick No.1 TB - Jameis Winston - QB - Florida St.

Winston has warts to be sure, but pairing him with Mike Evans could ultimately prove to be too enticing for the Buccaneers to pass on.

Pick No. 2 TEN - Leonard Williams - DE - USC

The combination of Jurrell Casey and Leonard Williams would be a formidable duo for Andrew Luck to deal with within the division.

Pick No. 3 JAC - Dante Fowler, Jr. - OLB - Florida

This decision could come down to Shane Ray or Dante Fowler, but Fowler has more size and the advantage of performing at the NFL Scouting Combine, when Ray sat out with an injury.

Pick No. 4 OAK - Amari Cooper - WR - Alabama

Kevin White's impressive combine could be tempting, but Cooper is more of a sure thing and can keep the Raiders’ momentum from last year's draft alive.

Pick No. 5 - WAS - Shane Ray - DE - Missouri

Ray believes he’ll be an outside linebacker at the next level, and the Redskins probably believe that. Whatever his position, he gets after the quarterback.

Pick No. 6 NYJ - Marcus Mariota - QB - Oregon

There is a brand new regime in place for the Jets, and finding a new face of the franchise should be high on the priority list.

Pick No. 7 CHI - Randy Gregory - OLB - Nebraska

The Bears have to get better in the trenches on both sides, but Vic Fangio's new 3-4 needs the right fits and Gregory is the best OLB on the board here.

Has Beasley going to the Saints at 13 and Dupree going to the Steelers at 22. Shelton comes off the board at 19 to the Browns. This is also the first mock I have seen with Kevin Johnson in the first round as he has the Eagles drafting him at 20.

Jack Lame

Liked Posts:
Gregory, once a top 5 pick, now seems to be falling.

legendxofxlink

Whistle Dixie
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nashville Predators
  1. ETSU Buccaneers
  2. Tennessee Volunteers
Gregory just reminds me a little too much of Dion Jordan and that scares me.

This is why he's falling. If you're not relentless at 240 lbs as a rush Lb, you're not going to do anything at the next level. I'd be looking at Shelton/Dupree/Beasley/Scherff/La'el Collins/Peat in this case. Shelton will be a good pro, but not really a 3 down player, Dupree has everything to work with as a rush LB but needs work, and Beasley is relentless enough to overcome his lack of size.

Camden Cutler

Black Boy Fly
Liked Posts:
i want shelton...build up the defensive and offensive lines with the first picks the next few years

Josh2J

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
just posting for fodder....

Randy Gregory - DL - Cornhuskers

Nebraska edge rusher Randy Gregory is a better prospect than 2014 No. 1 overall pick Jadeveon Clowney, according to NFL Films' Greg Cosell.

"He's a better athlete than Clowney. He's more flexible. He's more explosive in his movement," Cosell said. "Clearly, not as strong. Clowney could get inside and push back, but Clowney did not have the loose hips that this guy does. Gregory's a much more explosive mover, a much looser athlete." After what happened over the course of Clowney's injury-wrecked rookie campaign in Houston, it's easy to forget that some believed he was one of the most talented defenders to ever enter the league. Cosell, who calls Gregory a "definite" top-10 pick, clearly believes the Nebraska product is in the same league. We love Gregory's skills -- Josh Norris ranks him as the top disruptor in this class -- but his issues in keeping on weight are a bit alarming. The spindly 6-foot-5, 235-pounder dropped to 218 pounds just after the college season ended. Gregory said it's easy for him to gain and lose weight, but he must prove it at the next level by staying around 250.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
I think Gregory is going to be a good player. He is a natural pass rusher that just needs to keep on the weight.

Josh2J

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I think we are gona be nit picking this Edge Rusher group the next 8 weeks .... all of these guys are really great pass rushing propsects ...I feel like we and the media are kind of splitting hairs on them... all of them ( Folwer,Beasley,Ray,Gregory,) have great upside...and should be solid players in the NFL. Honestly (without being able to predict the future) the Bears really cant go wrong with selecting one of these guys. Again, you could always pick the only bust out of the 4 but heading into the draft none of them really have any major red flags that would indicate they are gona be major busts.

Josh2J

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

NFL Media analyst Mike Mayock said Saturday, "I think it's the best edge class we've had since 2011."

"'12 and '13 weren't that great," Mayock said. "There's a whole class of guys down for the second, third and forth rounds coming off the edge, too, that I think are going to be fun." This class is headlined by studs such as Randy Gregory, Shane Ray and Dante Fowler. The '11 class, for point of reference, featured J.J. Watt, Von Miller and Aldon Smith at the top.

legendxofxlink

Whistle Dixie
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nashville Predators
  1. ETSU Buccaneers
  2. Tennessee Volunteers

Nebraska edge rusher Randy Gregory is a better prospect than 2014 No. 1 overall pick Jadeveon Clowney, according to NFL Films' Greg Cosell.

"He's a better athlete than Clowney. He's more flexible. He's more explosive in his movement," Cosell said. "Clearly, not as strong. Clowney could get inside and push back, but Clowney did not have the loose hips that this guy does. Gregory's a much more explosive mover, a much looser athlete." After what happened over the course of Clowney's injury-wrecked rookie campaign in Houston, it's easy to forget that some believed he was one of the most talented defenders to ever enter the league. Cosell, who calls Gregory a "definite" top-10 pick, clearly believes the Nebraska product is in the same league. We love Gregory's skills -- Josh Norris ranks him as the top disruptor in this class -- but his issues in keeping on weight are a bit alarming. The spindly 6-foot-5, 235-pounder dropped to 218 pounds just after the college season ended. Gregory said it's easy for him to gain and lose weight, but he must prove it at the next level by staying around 250.

The biggest knock imo is he's really slow out of his stance. A top 10 pick as a pass rusher, should always be the first one out of his stance.
I don't see him having much impact as a rookie. Year 2 after a full offseason with the strength coach will help tremendously.

Kekua Zombie

Liked Posts:

Maybe BMarsh can work this dude out, that is, if we dont cut or trade him.

Sagbear

Liked Posts:
With Fox and Fangio I trust whoever they pick. but as Josh2J said, there all really good prospects and you can make a case for and against each of them.

-Cago34-

CCS Mock Draft Champion
Donator
Liked Posts:
Randy Gregory is the most physically coordinated rusher in this class. He has the best feet by far and if he can maintain proper playing weight he'll be a stud. If he were to slip to 7, I'd have a hard time passing on him.

Smokey Robinson

Liked Posts:
The biggest knock imo is he's really slow out of his stance. A top 10 pick as a pass rusher, should always be the first one out of his stance.
I don't see him having much impact as a rookie. Year 2 after a full offseason with the strength coach will help tremendously.

Aside from his weight this is really the only concern you can find with Gregory on tape. With that being said I don't see it as an issue as he has shown explosion playing out of a 2-point stance. In my experience I always found it difficult to rush with my hand in the dirt but found it natural playing as a stand up rush backer. Getting out of a stance can be coached up but when projecting him to a 3-4 scheme it is more important to look at the snaps he took standing up and on tape he looks natural doing it.

-Cago34-

CCS Mock Draft Champion
Donator
Liked Posts:
Aside from his weight this is really the only concern you can find with Gregory on tape. With that being said I don't see it as an issue as he has shown explosion playing out of a 2-point stance. In my experience I always found it difficult to rush with my hand in the dirt but found it natural playing as a stand up rush backer. Getting out of a stance can be coached up but when projecting him to a 3-4 scheme it is more important to look at the snaps he took standing up and on tape he looks natural doing it.

It's because he has the movement skills of a basketball player. He has quick, choppy feet. He's slow off the line because he more of a counterpuncher than a guy with a good ''first step'' that wants to beat a T around the edge with speed. Being first out of his stance doesn't really matter for a guy like him, imo.

legendxofxlink

Whistle Dixie
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nashville Predators
  1. ETSU Buccaneers
  2. Tennessee Volunteers

I agree, scouts also said he looked very natural in coverage at the combine going through movement drills. He definitely possesses some great traits and I'd be happy with him at 7. I just hope our DLine is beefed up enough to play the run, because he needs some time in that aspect.

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Gregory is a major bust waiting to happen. Pass...

Sagbear

Liked Posts:
Gregory is still super raw and once set into a position hell get better with his get off.

Smokey Robinson

Liked Posts:
I agree, scouts also said he looked very natural in coverage at the combine going through movement drills. He definitely possesses some great traits and I'd be happy with him at 7. I just hope our DLine is beefed up enough to play the run, because he needs some time in that aspect.

I think aside from Fowler each of the top OLBs are going to go through growing pains against the run early on. It is how you build around them to mask those deficiencies early on that will count. Lamarr Houston is top-notch against the run and should help considerably lined up at 5-tech next to a rookie OLB and there are a few free agent options that can also play the position and ease the transition for a young OLB.

It takes time for a rush backer to learn how to defend the run effectively. A prime example would be Clay Matthews as his rookie year he was a serious liability against the run and teams ran right at him but over time he has improved considerably and I don't think anyone considers him a liability at this point.

knoxville7

I have the stride of a gazelle
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
Gregory is still super raw and once set into a position hell get better with his get off.

Gregory is not raw...hes the least raw of them all. Gregory uses his hands and feet better than any of the rest of them. he uses his hands to fight off blockers extremely well. throw in his athletic ability and you have a star waiting to happen. the only and I repeat only issue for him is putting on the weight and keeping it on to help in the run defense more.