Nordstrom Suspended 2 Games per NHL

Spunky Porkstacker

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Pretty ticky tacky pussy stuff ...2 games... Nordstrom, no prior history and the opposing player isn't injured? Some of these suspensions are such a joke. The hit on Kane that broke his collarbone wasn't much of a cross-check, but if Nordstrom got suspended over this Petrovic clearly deserved a suspension for his cross check on Kane.

ClydeLee

Liked Posts:
This was worse than the hit on Kane... That was a cross push but the incidental skate nudging threw Kane off into the boards. Nordstrom rode Oilver too far too high and hard. It was clearly not safe and worse than any of the other 3 boarding checks that happened in that same game. It's a much worse hit than Pets.

and even though it's part of the NHL's rules, I can't stand the punishment for results over action idea of an injury occurring making it a worse punishment.

TCD

Liked Posts:
Suspension wasnt big enough. He should have been mandated back to the AHL where he belongs.

Reactions: Rex

biscuit_in_the_basket

Gigacore Fan!
Liked Posts:
While the hit was dangerous bad and something that players need to be aware of, I am surprised that as a first time offender that he was given more than a game. But two games is not the end of the world....hopefully he does not come back playing timid.

Spunky Porkstacker

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
This was worse than the hit on Kane... That was a cross push but the incidental skate nudging threw Kane off into the boards. Nordstrom rode Oilver too far too high and hard. It was clearly not safe and worse than any of the other 3 boarding checks that happened in that same game. It's a much worse hit than Pets.

and even though it's part of the NHL's rules, I can't stand the punishment for results over action idea of an injury occurring making it a worse punishment.

It really is splitting pubes. Nordstrom had his hands on Olivers back but does the video actually show that as the reason Oliver went into the boards by that means, his own momentum, or a combination of both?

Spunky Porkstacker

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
While the hit was dangerous bad and something that players need to be aware of, I am surprised that as a first time offender that he was given more than a game. But two games is not the end of the world....hopefully he does not come back playing timid.

Ya, why 2 games? I don't really care whether Nordstrom is active or not, just don't agree with the NHL and they're inconsistent rulings.

ClydeLee

Liked Posts:
There is no understanding of the leagues punishment system. It's wildly inconsistent and new people keep joining the heads of the enforcement staff.

CRM 114

Premium Member
Donator
Liked Posts:
I think this is actually a good thing. Nordstrom is useless and this will give them a chance to try someone else out. I think Nordstrom should be made an example of and be sent back down to Rockford the rest of the season but that probably won't happen.

Still don't get why the hit warranted a suspension though.

DMelt36

Bolland > You
Liked Posts:
Justified suspension, IMO.

All Nordstrom had to do in that situation was grab OEL and ride him into the boards, and that would've separated him from the puck as well. Anytime you extend your arms to shove a player in the back that close to the boards, you deserve a suspension.

Troy Murray blasted Nordstrom on the radio for making the hit and, now seeing it myself, I understand why. Can't do that.

Rex

Chief Blackcock
Liked Posts:
Suspension wasnt big enough. He should have been mandated back to the AHL where he belongs.

he should have been tarred and feathered!

Tater

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Ya, why 2 games? I don't really care whether Nordstrom is active or not, just don't agree with the NHL and they're inconsistent rulings.

Zactly.

It really is splitting pubes. Nordstrom had his hands on Olivers back but does the video actually show that as the reason Oliver went into the boards by that means, his own momentum, or a combination of both?

Looked like a combo of both to me.

Tater

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Justified suspension, IMO.

All Nordstrom had to do in that situation was grab OEL and ride him into the boards, and that would've separated him from the puck as well. Anytime you extend your arms to shove a player in the back that close to the boards, you deserve a suspension.

Troy Murray blasted Nordstrom on the radio for making the hit and, now seeing it myself, I understand why. Can't do that.

Then he would have got a holding penalty.

DMelt36

Bolland > You
Liked Posts:
Then he would have got a holding penalty.

You've never seen the type of hit into the boards where a player just latches on to an opponent and basically guides him into the glass? Happens all the time.

Tater

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
You've never seen the type of hit into the boards where a player just latches on to an opponent and basically guides him into the glass? Happens all the time.

Yeah, you're right when you put it that way.

Popinski Soda

Back in the USSR
Donator
Liked Posts:
http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/console?id=778810

Two games for the hit on Larsson. While I'm not sure the suspension was warranted, especially since this was his first offense and no injury occurred, you can't put your hands up on the numbers like that. Way too risky.

Sent from my Texas Instrument Calculator

I really like how the NHL puts those films together. Was that Shanahan's brainchild or have they always accompanied a disciplinary ruling, or at least since the advent of the Internet? I don't seem to recall any of those films before his tenure, but I could be mistaken.

Variable

Liked Posts:
Yeah can't make a hit like that from behind going into the boards. Dumb. I don't know what people want or expect for a first time offender. Half a game? Gotta start somewhere, 2 games is good. And having it pend on injury, like the NHL does, is fucking ridiculous as well. They got it right on this play, got it wrong on what happened with Kane. As is usual, the NHL being wildly inconsistent from one example to the next.