Trending: Stifling Defense

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Looking for opinions on the additions of

Vermette, Tuevo, Timo and their collective impact on defense? (Tuevo was on the ice for both goals against in last two games, though he had an assist, and I heard Timo is slow, so what gives?)

The Rangers took overtime to solve us, the Coyotes were held on their home ice to 6 shots a period.

6 shots!!! In their best period!!

I know its the Coyotes, but come on. Whats going on? The rest? Kane out so knew tactics? Or the new guys? Oduya out? Fluke in schedule. Playoff hockey gearing up.

Lots of explanations, I just want to look to see if the trend continues. Would be nice to get the offense going though.

biscuit_in_the_basket

Gigacore Fan!
Liked Posts:
Vermette and Timo are fine defensively. T^2 is still learning that part of the game in the NHL, but his responsibilities will be limited like it is with Kane.

Timo is slow, never was a blazing skater, but his positioning is fine. He is still trying to find his game groove due to being out so long. He actually makes Rosie look like his old self.

ClydeLee

Liked Posts:
I can't really say anyone else was at fault but the left Dman, whoever it was I don't recall if it was Timo or Oduya. Not like Teuvo did anything at fault even if he's on the ice for the goal really, that's the problem with the +/- stat every now and then. The OT goal was a problem, idk how often he has played 4v4 hockey not knowing SEL OT rules but he just sat there and didn't pick up anyone as the goal got scored.

The D has been strong and good all year except for a few random spurts and Crawford wasn't up to form after his injury return for a bit. That's hardly been a significant issue all year.

Rex

Chief Blackcock
Liked Posts:
Chicago has given up 165 shots over the last 5 games (33 per game) That's hardly "Stifling Defense"

Crawford on the other hand has been 4-0-1 in that time with a 1.13GAA and .959SV%

so it's more like "Stifling goaltending"

Tjodalv

Discoverer of Dragosaurs
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Tevo will take time, and may never be the kind of 2-way forward we're used to seeing here during Q's tenure. Young kid still trying to figure out the North American game, that's to be expected.

Vemette has always been a solid defensive C. Of course part of this is his faceoff skill (it's amazing how winning a draw in your own end prevents opposing offensive chances); but he backchecks very well and has solid awareness in his own end. I was really hoping we'd pick him up several years ago when Columbus was shopping him. (they [Columbus] ended up getting a 2nd rounder, 5th, and a backup goaltender out of the deal)

It's still too early to deduce anything about Kimmo other than he still plays the point well on the PP. His ice time has been limited, and he has generally been matched up against 3rd/4th liners...but he hasn't looked all that bad so far.

Tater

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Is Foley always drunk or does he need glasses (or both)? How many damn times a game does he say a wrong player name.
Maybe the Hawks need enormous numbers on the sleeve like the Sharts.

roshinaya

fnord
Donator
Liked Posts:
Is Foley always drunk or does he need glasses (or both)? How many damn times a game does he say a wrong player name.
Maybe the Hawks need enormous numbers on the sleeve like the Sharts.

81 and 91 looks so similar. And he's old...and drunk.

EbonyRaptor

Liked Posts:
I can't really say anyone else was at fault but the left Dman, whoever it was I don't recall if it was Timo or Oduya. Not like Teuvo did anything at fault even if he's on the ice for the goal really, that's the problem with the +/- stat every now and then. The OT goal was a problem, idk how often he has played 4v4 hockey not knowing SEL OT rules but he just sat there and didn't pick up anyone as the goal got scored.The D has been strong and good all year except for a few random spurts and Crawford wasn't up to form after his injury return for a bit. That's hardly been a significant issue all year.

TT didn't "just sit there and didn't pick anyone up" - he was back in the d-zone before Toews and he went to pick up the puck carrier before he noticed Toews was tracking the puck carrier so at that point he tried to get back over to cover Brassard. He may have made a wrong decision for which guy to cover (which is debateable), but he didn't not pick up anyone.

TT's defense is just fine - actually very good for a young "offensive" player. He has good instincts and knows where to go. He doesn't have the strength to play the body, but he has a good stick and breaks up plays because he's in good position.

Tater

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
EbonyRaptor!! Good to see ya posting, welcome back.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I still think we have improved defensively, and yes part of that is a healthy Crow, and a good backup, but time will bear out our improvement whatever it is. it might be a schematic shift to simplify things for so many new faces, as well as focusing on working together and expecting mishaps in doing so.

Kimmo on the powerplay must be awesome because we have done a 180.

ClydeLee

Liked Posts:
TT didn't "just sit there and didn't pick anyone up" - he was back in the d-zone before Toews and he went to pick up the puck carrier before he noticed Toews was tracking the puck carrier so at that point he tried to get back over to cover Brassard. He may have made a wrong decision for which guy to cover (which is debateable), but he didn't not pick up anyone.

TT's defense is just fine - actually very good for a young "offensive" player. He has good instincts and knows where to go. He doesn't have the strength to play the body, but he has a good stick and breaks up plays because he's in good position.

I think his D is beyond fine, but that was one play in a situation that caused some indecisiveness.

Really I don't know what others would see in him to say he's not the type of 2-way forward we are used to having under Q. I'd say that's nonsense, he's far more wiser and focused in thinking defensively than forwards like Kane, Steeger, or some of the recently shipped out rookies have been. And he's just 20 while those others were lacking in those skills at 23 or and up.

LordKOTL

Scratched for Vorobiev
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Portland Timbers
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
My only complaint on the D last game was yet another Seabrook own goal on national TV.

Rex

Chief Blackcock
Liked Posts:
Do they keep track of that stat somewhere, I'd love to see how many that is for our D over the years.

I'd love to see how many of those are Seabrook.

LordKOTL

Scratched for Vorobiev
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Portland Timbers
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I'd love to see how many of those are Seabrook.
Keith had 2 last year. Seabs had one at the Staduim Series. This of course is not comprehensive and IMHO an own goal has to be a deflection off the stick, or a puck that was directed into your own net. A slapper by the opposition that goes of a knee or a skate doesn't really count as much as a play that deserves much shaming.

TCD

Liked Posts:
Chicago has given up 165 shots over the last 5 games (33 per game) That's hardly "Stifling Defense"

Crawford on the other hand has been 4-0-1 in that time with a 1.13GAA and .959SV%

so it's more like "Stifling goaltending"

Funny how the anti crow club have shut their fucking mouths for at least a little while. Just going to take one bad game for them to come out from hidding under grimsons dads ball sack though.

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
Funny how the anti crow club have shut their fucking mouths for at least a little while. Just going to take one bad game for them to come out from hidding under grimsons dads ball sack though.

They should be anti-kane now...? 6-1-1...... amirite?

Rex

Chief Blackcock
Liked Posts:
another 39 shots against last night. Such Defense!