OT: Zach Wheeler tore elbow ligament

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Met's can't catch a break with their young pitching. Just goes to show you why cubs shied away from pitching early.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
537.gif

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
They could have traded Castro for some guys with elbow issues like some here wanted to do.

Zvbxrpl

Liked Posts:
I would feel bad, but then I remembered its the mets.

Fuck the mets.

Mr. Cub

2016 World Series Champs!
Liked Posts:
I guess it's a good thing Castro is still on our team.

Boobaby1

Liked Posts:
They could have traded Castro for some guys with elbow issues like some here wanted to do.

Wouldn't that hold true with anyone the Cubs might have traded him for?

Harvey, Carpenter, Wainright, Fernandez, Darvish and a host of others doesn't mean they are done by a longshot. Eventually the Cubs are going to trade hitting talent for pitching talent and there are no guarantees that you will not get this with any of them.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
Wouldn't that hold true with anyone the Cubs might have traded him for?

Harvey, Carpenter, Wainright, Fernandez, Darvish and a host of others doesn't mean they are done by a longshot. Eventually the Cubs are going to trade hitting talent for pitching talent and there are no guarantees that you will not get this with any of them.

I will stick by what I've maintained since I graced this forum with my presence. The Cubs have no interest in trading Castro any time soon. He is one of the core players as much as Rizzo.

JosMin

Entirely too much tuna
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Sucks for the Mets, but keep this in mind -- I'd rather have a 24-year-old rebounding from a TJ surgery than a guy in his early 30s who has a much greater chance of never regaining his stuff. Still, if Baez came on hot, I think the Cubs would certainly entertain a Syndergaard (his name was tossed out there) for Castro swap. Not sure the Mets would do it since he's their only young gun who hasn't blown his arm out :lol:

JosMin

Entirely too much tuna
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
I will stick by what I've maintained since I graced this forum with my presence. The Cubs have no interest in trading Castro any time soon. He is one of the core players as much as Rizzo.

I think they would stay on the phone if a team offered up a prime starting pitching asset. I agree with you that he's certainly seems to be identified as a cornerstone piece. Baez's progression this year certainly figures to weigh heavily on how available Castro really is. I think next year would be a more likely time to deal him since Russell doesn't figure to make his debut until this September/early 2016.

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
I think they would stay on the phone if a team offered up a prime starting pitching asset. I agree with you that he's certainly seems to be identified as a cornerstone piece. Baez's progression this year certainly figures to weigh heavily on how available Castro really is. I think next year would be a more likely time to deal him since Russell doesn't figure to make his debut until this September/early 2016.

I'm pretty sure Wheeler was offered for Castro but it wasn't enough on the Cubs end. The reports were that they wanted two pitchers for just thus reason and the Mets balked. Sometimes the best trades are the ones you don't make. At this point all reports are that the Cubs consider Castro their long term SS. Maddon has a philosophy of not moving veterans off their positions for young players if they are t outplayed and while their skills are different Russell and Castro grade out nearly identically at SS. as was pointed out in a Cubs Den piece a few weeks back the key to all of this, including when Russell comes up, is Baez. If Baez starts at AAA as expected and hasn't shown enough to come back up by May or June and Russell is excelling at AAA it's likely he comes up and plays 2B. Conversely I think this is why the Cubs are hoping for Baez to succeed as I think ideally they'd like Russell to get at least a half season if not more in the minors.

As far as Castro still possibly being moved for pitching I would say it's always possible but I'd be surprised. He'd have to be part of a larger trade package than ones talked about this past offseason because the value doesn't lion up well for another team. He's likely worth two young pitchers and that's a tough trade for a team to make and with the teams with young pitching to spare in their systems, Toronto and The Mets, suffering huge losses already it's unlikely these teams move pitching anytime soon. I'm convinced that if and and when the Cubs trade significant prospects/players for pitching it will be for relatively young arms as opposed to a veteran.