2015 NCAA Tournament Discussion

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Discuss about the tournament here.. Your picks too if you so wish.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
Just remember, it's about the student-athletes and not the money you can make in an office pool.

Also, the NCAA is a totally legit thing.

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Got about 25% on my bracket last year. I'll be quite amused if I beat that number.

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Got about 25% on my bracket last year. I'll be quite amused if I beat that number.
Wow.. Thats awful. My worst ever was 49% in 2006... I usually get between 55-60%... In 2007 I got 76%.. won my pool that year.

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Wow.. Thats awful. My worst ever was 49% in 2006... I usually get between 55-60%... In 2007 I got 76%.. won my pool that year.
I had another bracket that got 3% (that one I just kinda randomly picked upsets that never panned out so it's not that surprising). Mind you, I don't follow college basketball at all. I think my best was in the 50s somewhere. I just generally suck at making brackets.

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
I had another bracket that got 3% (that one I just kinda randomly picked upsets that never panned out so it's not that surprising). Mind you, I don't follow college basketball at all. I think my best was in the 50s somewhere. I just generally suck at making brackets.
3%? Did you not take in account the seedings at all? Have all 16 seeds going to the Final Four? Lol.

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
3%? Did you not take in account the seedings at all? Have all 16 seeds going to the Final Four? Lol.
No, I just picked all the wrong teams and was done about halfway through the first round lololololol. I think my logic was that I'd just take my other bracket and pick the opposites of the ones I was sorta iffy on. But since I'm a bracket noob and know nothing, none of the teams I thought would go on to the final four actually made it.

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
No, I just picked all the wrong teams and was done about halfway through the first round lololololol. I think my logic was that I'd just take my other bracket and pick the opposites of the ones I was sorta iffy on. But since I'm a bracket noob and know nothing, none of the teams I thought would go on to the final four actually made it.
lol, I find 3% almost impossible to achieve.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
I got a couple of upsets. One team making it to the Elite 8 before going down. I got a team upsetting Kentucky in the ship. I fucking love the Tourney.

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
I consider my poor bracketology to be almost a skill
If you pick all #1 seeds to advance in the first round then you at least get 4%! Lol

You had to literally be wrong on everything except 3 picks.

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
If you pick all #1 seeds to advance in the first round then you at least get 4%! Lol

You had to literally be wrong on everything except 3 picks.
I guess ESPN is lying to me then. Though technically it said my percentage was 3.4%.

FirstTimer

v. 2.0: Fully Modded
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
ncaa-tournament-2015.png

Everyone keeps saying how weak the South is, and I generally agree but I could see SD State and Utah giving Duke problems. Gonzaga I would pick to beat Duke at this point.

How weak is the NCAA this year? Purdue is a 9 seed. UCLA made the tourney rather easily.

Ohio St. being a 10 seed is pretty shocking to me.

I'm still not seeing the uproar over UCLA getting in over Illinois.(Yes, some Illinois fans are pissed UCLA made it over them)

Better record, better BPI, better RPI, better SOS there's really nothing in Illinois' favor.

Am I missing something?

Last edited:

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
ncaa-tournament-2015.png

Everyone keeps saying how weak the East is, and I generally agree but I could see SD State and Utah giving Duke problems. Gonzaga I would pick to beat Duke at this point.

How weak is the NCAA this year? Purdue is a 9 seed. UCLA made the tourney rather easily.

Ohio St. being a 10 seed is pretty shocking to me.

I'm still not seeing the uproar over UCLA getting in over Illinois.(Yes, some Illinois fans are pissed UCLA made it over them)

Better record, better BPI, better RPI, better SOS there's really nothing in Illinois' favor.

Am I missing something?
Other than this being a Chicago, Illinois sports forum, I'm not sure why you're trying to drag Illinois fans into this... I think the large majority of us will agree with you that Illinois had zero business being in the tourney... If they were a #1 seed in the NIT I could see the argument, but they're a #3 seed there.

There's a lot of teams I saw as way lower seeds or not even belonging in the tournament (like UCLA). I saw Purdue as a 11/12 seed, Ohio State in the same measure... Iowa should be a 10 seed.

Georgetown is vastly overseeded, while teams like Wichita, Stephen F Austin, Dayton, and Oregon are underseeded.

I think the South is the weakest. Theoretically Duke has a walk to the Final Four, but I can see Utah beating them. Iowa State could beat them as well. I don't give SD State much of a chance.. While they have a great defense, they have a terrible defense and Duke simply has more talented offensive players that I think can score on them.

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
I guess ESPN is lying to me then. Though technically it said my percentage was 3.4%.
maybe thats the percentile that your bracket was in.. Amongst the lowest of the low. I actually see your bracket now from last year..

FirstTimer

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Other than this being a Chicago, Illinois sports forum, I'm not sure why you're trying to drag Illinois fans into this...
Duh.gif

Just an uproar or bitching I've heard recently that made zero sense and wasn't sure what or why it was occurring and if anyone here who felt the same way(if they did) could explain. Seemed pretty straight forward.

There's a lot of teams I saw as way lower seeds or not even belonging in the tournament (like UCLA)
Who do you put in over UCLA?

Ohio St. is actually underseeded to me by 1 or 2. I'd flip them and Purdue at the very least.

Georgetown is vastly overseeded

I think the Hoyas got a huge bump bc they had wins over Nova and @ Butler.

I think the South is the weakest. Theoretically Duke has a walk to the Final Four, but I can see Utah beating them. Iowa State could beat them as well. I don't give SD State much of a chance.. While they have a great defense, they have a terrible defense and Duke simply has more talented offensive players that I think can score on them.

I meant South instead of East. Derp on my part.

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Who do you put in over UCLA?

Ohio St. is actually underseeded to me by 1 or 2. I'd flip them and Purdue at the very least.

I think the Hoyas got a huge bump bc they had wins over Nova and @ Butler.

I meant South instead of East. Derp on my part.

1. While they certainly have a good case against them, I'd put in Colorado State or Temple. At the very least I'd have made UCLA play a play-in-game. Them safely being a #11 seed over any of the play-in-game teams is ridiculous to me.

Indiana is another team I forgot to mention as being overseeded. My friend who is an Indiana fan actually said they didn't belong in the tournament.

2. Numbers wise I could agree with Ohio St, but from the eye test, I wouldn't. I suppose thats just me, given the tournament is usually selected on numbers.

3. Understandable on the Hoyas.

4. lol, now your post makes sense.

FirstTimer

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
1. While they certainly have a good case against them, I'd put in Colorado State or Temple.
Look at those two resume's vs UCLA's I just can't get there. UCLA has more wins vs the BPI top 50 then CSU and Temple combined.

I think this is one of the few years where I've looked at the bracket and thought that the committee got every team in they should have after the autobids were handed out.

Some of the seeding I find questionable but I think this was a "down" year overall for basketball so at some point after the top 1-3 seeds in each region you really start sifting turds.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebas...ent-selection-committee-releases-1-68-ranking

Once you get to G'Town on this list..good luck separating them.

Indiana is another team I forgot to mention as being overseeded. My friend who is an Indiana fan actually said they didn't belong in the tournament.
Indiana is a perfect example of how weak the field was this year and how weak it was to choose from. On it's face I wouldn't have even said Indiana makes the tourney but they get a 10 line ahead of Davidson and Ohio St?

Yikes

Last edited:

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
maybe thats the percentile that your bracket was in.. Amongst the lowest of the low. I actually see your bracket now from last year..
You know...that would make more sense. In any case, I did rather laughably bad, which is the point. I have absolutely zero skill at doing this whole thing properly.