Do you believe the Bulls should TRADE Taj Gibson in Off-Season?

Axl Rose

and I knew the silence of the world
Liked Posts:
Why is Gasol not going anywhere? Is it in his contract? If it isn't why should he not be able to be traded? I wouldn't put him on anykind of pedestal. He is a valuable commodity to be traded just as Gibson is but Gibson is younger. I just do not see this hands off trading Gasol logic unless it is contractual.

because they aren't gonna trade him

im not really a Gasol supporter, i think he puts up empty numbers...but the fact is unless he ask for a trade they arent gonna trade him...its a respect/loyalty thing...he took less to come here

Bear06

Liked Posts:
Why is Gasol not going anywhere? Is it in his contract? If it isn't why should he not be able to be traded? I wouldn't put him on anykind of pedestal. He is a valuable commodity to be traded just as Gibson is but Gibson is younger. I just do not see this hands off trading Gasol logic unless it is contractual.

He's had an All-Star season and left money on the table last summer to play for the Bulls. The chances of him and/or Rose getting traded this off-season are very slim to none.

Bear Pride

Bears Gonna Shock the World!
Liked Posts:
The Hawk's in rare form tonight. I didn't know there could be so much stupid in one person. :dunno:

Shepard

Renegade
Donator
Liked Posts:
Trade a guy who gave you a good discount in free agency. That will make other free agents happy to sign here.

You're right. However, don't sleep on the Knicks in this regard.

If the Bulls fall short of the ECF- they very well (and probably should) decide to blow things up a bit. Should this happen, the Knicks are an immediate match regarding Phil's "not building through the draft" comments. Gasol would probably prefer a trade to the Knicks should they land his brother, Marc, via FA.

The only asset the Knicks have is their lottery pick this year, which will most likely fall anywhere between 1-4.

Would you send Butler, Gasol and Thibs to New York for that pick, build around that pick, Niko, & other assets from other vet trades (Noah/Taj) and wait for the Anthony Davis sweeps in a few years?

I'd imagine most would say no, but if we end up getting ousted by a crappy Washington team in RD 1 again or get swept by Atlanta in Round 2.............

Undisputed

Liked Posts:
I think the only way Pau goes is if he requests to be traded. But as for the OP's question, I am more than ready to see Taj go if the deal is good enough.

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I'm open to trading Taj, but like others have said not trading him just to trade him or just because Mirotic is the future at the 4. There's got to be something of value we get in return, be it draft picks or a decent role player or something.

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
I'm open to trading Taj, but like others have said not trading him just to trade him or just because Mirotic is the future at the 4. There's got to be something of value we get in return, be it draft picks or a decent role player or something.
I keep hearing he's the future at the 3.

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I keep hearing he's the future at the 3.
anigif_enhanced-16603-1422418285-2.gif

Jailbreak

Block someone
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
I don't think Gasol is going anywhere. Gibson, maybe, if the price is right. Mirotic is bonafide at the NBA level, which I suspected. He's an incredible competitor and teammate, much like Noah and he's not at his ceiling. McDermott is still there and he probably needs minutes more than anything. Wealth of riches at SF/PF, because there's a lot of versatility. McDermott can be a 2 or 3, Mirotic can play 3 or 4. I'd like to keep Taj, because he has a real post game.

Last edited:

ChettheJet

Liked Posts:
If he comes back from the ankle strong and it looks like his value is up, this is the right off season to move him. Remember he came in as a rookie at age 26, so he's past 30 even if he hasn't been in the league for 12 years. He has never played huge minutes but he's been injured more as he has aged.

Niko looks like the real deal, he would be great coming off the bench behind Pau so long as Pau plays and good enough to start when Gasol and Noah are out. Moving Taj means not having to play Niko at the 3 to get him minutes.

What do you get? Hopefully some team thinks he could come in and start at the 4 and they overpay. Otherwise maybe a trade of Taj and their 1st round pick in the 23 range to move up to 3-7 in the lottery. I don't see how anyone would give up a starter at the 2 or 3, Maybe a 2-3 who could get his own shot to replace Dunleavy who maybe stays and comes off the bench. Maybe a very good point guard with a longer contract who could start if Derrick again gets injured, a better passer as an upgrade over the Brooks, Robinson, Watson Augustine type we've been getting for one year.

They might be able to take a player with a contract close to Gibson's because maybe Hinrich retires, Dunleavy stays at a minimum, Brooks moves on and they have to pay Jimmy the money. And McDermott and Snell are not big salaries.

Diddy1122

I ain't your pal dickface
Liked Posts:
You're right. However, don't sleep on the Knicks in this regard.

If the Bulls fall short of the ECF- they very well (and probably should) decide to blow things up a bit. Should this happen, the Knicks are an immediate match regarding Phil's "not building through the draft" comments. Gasol would probably prefer a trade to the Knicks should they land his brother, Marc, via FA.

The only asset the Knicks have is their lottery pick this year, which will most likely fall anywhere between 1-4.

Would you send Butler, Gasol and Thibs to New York for that pick, build around that pick, Niko, & other assets from other vet trades (Noah/Taj) and wait for the Anthony Davis sweeps in a few years?

I'd imagine most would say no, but if we end up getting ousted by a crappy Washington team in RD 1 again or get swept by Atlanta in Round 2.............

I believe it is highly unlikely that the Bulls FO will blow up anything. In fact, there would be absolutely no reason to. I think anyone who has watched the team this year knows that when we've been fully healthy, we are a legit contender for the title. 15-4 when the REAL starters have played.

Butler is not going anywhere. You can quote me on that. The FO are absolutely in love with him, as is the coaching staff, and the entire fan base. They hold the power to match any offer and will do so to ensure he's donning red, black, and white for years to come. Gasol also is not going anywhere. On top of having a career resurgence at a role player's price, the mentoring he has provided for Mirotic this year goes well beyond the dollar value of his contract.

I feel the only thing that would happen if we do fall short of the ECF is that Thibs will be let go. Whether that is through a trade or just eating the last two years of his contract, most of us would agree it basically an ECF or bust for him now, which is utterly ridiculous imho.

I do feel now is the right time to look at what you can get in return for Taj in a trade. Mirotic needs those minutes to continue his growth & the team needs his talents out on the floor as much as possible on any given night.

Axl Rose

and I knew the silence of the world
Liked Posts:
I believe it is highly unlikely that the Bulls FO will blow up anything. In fact, there would be absolutely no reason to. I think anyone who has watched the team this year knows that when we've been fully healthy, we are a legit contender for the title. 15-4 when the REAL starters have played.

the real question is when will this team ever be healthy?

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
The Hawk's in rare form tonight. I didn't know there could be so much stupid in one person. :dunno:

Really? This from a guy whose only regular contributions to this board is how many minutes his boy toy McDermott is getting and how Thibs is over-working his players. Try coming up with something new once in awhile BP, your crap is plugging up the toilets.

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I don't think Gasol is going anywhere. Gibson, maybe, if the price is right. Mirotic is bonafide at the NBA level, which I suspected. He's an incredible competitor and teammate, much like Noah and he's not at his ceiling. McDermott is still there and he probably needs minutes more than anything. Wealth of riches at SF/PF, because there's a lot of versatility. McDermott can be a 2 or 3, Mirotic can play 3 or 4. I'd like to keep Taj, because he has a real post game.

Good post. All I said is that no Bull should be considered untouchable trade wise. But you have BP who would break down and cry if McDermott or Gasol were traded. It is a Thibs conspiracy that his boy toy doesn't play more.

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
because they aren't gonna trade him

im not really a Gasol supporter, i think he puts up empty numbers...but the fact is unless he ask for a trade they arent gonna trade him...its a respect/loyalty thing...he took less to come here

You may be right about his not getting traded. None of us know. I just do not get why people are so sure that it would never happen, though. Yeah, gasol took less money to play for the Bulls but look at the team that he left. The Lakers are one of the worst teams in the NBA and he has wanted out for 2-3 years. So it was mutually beneficial to both the Bulls and Pau.

I see things in a pretty straight forward way. The Bulls have solid depth at the 4 and 5 positions and weakness at the 1 and 2 positions. The 3 is where I want Mirotic to slot in for years to come with soe 4 also.

So, in going forward, this team needs to bring in more talent at point guard and shooting guard. Pretty much what they should have done at the beginning of this season.

RamiTheBullsFan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Trading Pau Gasol would be deplorable. He was offered more money by the Lakers, and probably would've gotten more money by a few other teams, and chose the Chicago Bulls.

If the Bulls EVER want another decent free agent... they better not trade Gasol.

As for the topic, yes, the Bulls should trade Taj Gibson. Nikola Mirotic looks like a future All-Star.

Side note: Mirotic is a 4. Not a 3. It should be obvious to anyone which position is his superior.