Do you believe the Bulls should TRADE Taj Gibson in Off-Season?

knoxville7

I have the stride of a gazelle
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
Trading Pau Gasol would be deplorable. He was offered more money by the Lakers, and probably would've gotten more money by a few other teams, and chose the Chicago Bulls.

If the Bulls EVER want another decent free agent... they better not trade Gasol.

As for the topic, yes, the Bulls should trade Taj Gibson. Nikola Mirotic looks like a future All-Star.

Side note: Mirotic is a 4. Not a 3. It should be obvious to anyone which position is his superior.

add another to the list of those with common sense.

but yes trade Gibson for a wing player and/or draft pick(s). niko will be 6th man of the year next year if they do that

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
add another to the list of those with common sense.

but yes trade Gibson for a wing player and/or draft pick(s). niko will be 6th man of the year next year if they do that

I have a lot of common sense, thank you very much. I just disagree with you. Big difference. I also believe that he should be a starter at small forward last year for the Bulls, not a 6th man. Right now, I think, he is one of their top two or three players.

Here is an article from mid January of this year in which the author outlines well what I believe. Here tis:)

Chicago Bulls
Nikola Mirotic Is Chicago Bulls' Long-Term Answer At Small Forward

by Nathan Grubel 10w ago

Don’t look now, but the Chicago Bulls may finally be beginning to fulfill their basketball potential.

Many analysts had the Bulls pegged before the season began as the best team in the Eastern Conference over other contenders such as the Cleveland Cavaliers, Toronto Raptors or Washington Wizards. The Atlanta Hawks have also emerged as a legitimate title threat, but there isn’t a team in the East that boasts more talent and depth right now than Chicago.
Stay connected with Hoops Habit
Follow @HoopsHabit

With Derrick Rose and Jimmy Butler in the backcourt and Pau Gasol and Joakim Noah up front, along with Aaron Brooks, Taj Gibson, Tony Snell and Doug McDermott coming off the bench, this team has the offensive and defensive firepower to play with anyone in the NBA right now.

The only real problem with the Bulls rotation lies at the small forward position, as Mike Dunleavy and McDermott don’t seem to be long-term answers right now.

However, Chicago doesn’t have to go make a move for a quality small forward, as the answer is already on the roster.

Who you ask? Nikola Mirotic.

I’ve written before about Mirotic and how he could be a key piece for the Bulls down the stretch. From when he was playing his basketball with Real Madrid, I have always admired Mirotic for his versatility and skill level at the power forward position.

But the real question should be, is Mirotic truly a power forward, or does he have the talent to float around and play different positions for a long amount of time, not just in a pinch?

While Mirotic may have the size and length of a power forward, I truly do not think he is a four for this Bulls team.

The way Mirotic plays is actually much more like that of a small forward because of how he gets his baskets on offense.

As surprising as it may be because of his true size, Mirotic does not play out of the post a great deal. Does he have the ability to back his man down and use a move closer to the basket to score? Yes he does, because he has proved that he can both in Europe and here in the NBA. However, Mirotic is much more comfortable playing out on the perimeter.

Mirotic loves to look for the three-point shot when he can get it, something that the Bulls consistently need in order to get the most out of their offense. Rose is great at being a drive-and-kick point guard, and Mirotic may be one of the best spot-up options Chicago has on its roster.

On the season, Mirotic is shooting 38 percent from beyond the arc, which speaks to the fact that he is certainly a respectable shooter from distance.

Mirotic also loves to get out in transition and run in the fast break for easy scores or pull-up shot opportunities. There aren’t many players on the Bulls that hustle on the break more consistently than Mirotic. He recognizes situations in which he can get easy buckets and he takes full advantage time and time again.

In the half-court, Mirotic does more than spot-up for a jump shot, as he likes to consistently cut to the basket and mix it up inside. Mirotic isn’t afraid of contact and looks for it so he can get to the free throw line. His 78.4 percent from the charity stripe is all the more reason why he should look for those shots more often.

Typical big men like to play inside and operate in the post, but rarely do they look to cut to the basket and run as much as Mirotic does. His athleticism needs to be taken better advantage of, and when coupled with his overall size, he could be a true mismatch on the wing for a lot of different defenders.

Because he is so quick with his hands and feet, Mirotic is also fully capable of guarding small forwards for long periods of time. His toughness combined with his willingness to take on his man regardless of who he is means that he will never be afraid to go up against some of the best forwards in the game like LeBron James or Kevin Durant.

What he can do on defense is what’s going to ultimately get him the starting nod from head coach Tom Thibodeau, as his track record has always said that he is going to think about defense first.

Because he is so versatile in how he scores the ball and has proven that he can play defense all over the floor, Mirotic deserves serious minutes at the small forward and should be in that role as a starter by season’s end. Mirotic is too gifted of a player to be wasted away on the bench for over half the game.

If the Bulls want to seriously contend in the Eastern Conference, then there is no reason why they should play arguably the best rookie forward in the league right now. He may not have the NBA experience, but he definitely has the professional experience, and knows how to handle himself in high-pressure situations.

Embrace versatility, Chicago. Give Mirotic a chance, and I’m sure he will go above and beyond the expectations set for him.

*Statistics courtesy of Basketball-Reference.
Next: 50 Greatest NBA Players Of The 1970s

Bear Pride

Bears Gonna Shock the World!
Liked Posts:
Trading Pau Gasol would be deplorable. He was offered more money by the Lakers, and probably would've gotten more money by a few other teams, and chose the Chicago Bulls.

If the Bulls EVER want another decent free agent... they better not trade Gasol.

As for the topic, yes, the Bulls should trade Taj Gibson. Nikola Mirotic looks like a future All-Star.

Side note: Mirotic is a 4. Not a 3. It should be obvious to anyone which position is his superior.

One of the things that Niko brings to the table is being able to play both the 3 and 4 positions. Sticking only at the 4 limits what he does, imo. Sure, playing the 4 the majority of the time is in order as he can pull a big out of the lane and shoot over him. He can also drive and draws fouls from bigs.

However, there will be times and matchups that he can post and draw fouls against some SF's. The fact that Thib's can bring in a PF and slide Niko over to the 3 causes substitution problems for other teams. I expect to see Niko closing games at the SF position moving forward as well.

Of course all this does NOT mean he's a full time SF, however.

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
One of the things that Niko brings to the table is being able to play both the 3 and 4 positions. Sticking only at the 4 limits what he does, imo. Sure, playing the 4 the majority of the time is in order as he can pull a big out of the lane and shoot over him. He can also drive and draws fouls from bigs.

However, there will be times and matchups that he can post and draw fouls against some SF's. The fact that Thib's can bring in a PF and slide Niko over to the 3 causes substitution problems for other teams. I expect to see Niko closing games at the SF position moving forward as well.

Of course all this does NOT mean he's a full time SF, however.
I agree with this view. Niko can be a 3, but I don't think that is his full time position. Call him a hybrid 3/4, call him whatever you like...he can play both, but I think matchups will dictate which one he is better in.

nbafan23

Liked Posts:
with the improvement of Mirotic happening so quickly I say sure.

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I agree with this view. Niko can be a 3, but I don't think that is his full time position. Call him a hybrid 3/4, call him whatever you like...he can play both, but I think matchups will dictate which one he is better in.

Exactly. And that is what I have been arguing about for awhile now and one in which the article that I posted was all about. From the first time that I saw video's of the guy playing in Europe, I saw Tony Kukoc but with a chip on his shoulder. And I loved Kukoc BTW.

And I absolutely believe that Mirotic, Butler, and Noah are the guys that can win a championship as the main cogs. But they need to bring in an excellent point guard with or without Rose. They also should figure out in the remaining games of this season what McDermott can or can't do for them in the play-offs. Somehow they should try to give this kid a chance to gain some confidence in the remaining games.

Personally, I do not see this team advancing this year much beyond the first round and that is because of Rose. Frankly, I think that they would play better as a team without him than with him. But that doesn't bother me because I am getting pretty upbeat with the dynamic of Mirotic, Butler, and Noah on the floor at the same time and the supporting cast of Gasol, Gibson, Brooks, Dunleavy and yes, even McDermott. Whatever happens with Rose will happen, but I think that there really is a lot of talent on this team without him in the line-up.

knoxville7

CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
I have a lot of common sense, thank you very much. I just disagree with you. Big difference. I also believe that he should be a starter at small forward last year for the Bulls, not a 6th man. Right now, I think, he is one of their top two or three players.

Here is an article from mid January of this year in which the author outlines well what I believe. Here tis:)

Chicago Bulls
Nikola Mirotic Is Chicago Bulls' Long-Term Answer At Small Forward

by Nathan Grubel 10w ago

Don’t look now, but the Chicago Bulls may finally be beginning to fulfill their basketball potential.

Many analysts had the Bulls pegged before the season began as the best team in the Eastern Conference over other contenders such as the Cleveland Cavaliers, Toronto Raptors or Washington Wizards. The Atlanta Hawks have also emerged as a legitimate title threat, but there isn’t a team in the East that boasts more talent and depth right now than Chicago.
Stay connected with Hoops Habit
Follow @HoopsHabit

With Derrick Rose and Jimmy Butler in the backcourt and Pau Gasol and Joakim Noah up front, along with Aaron Brooks, Taj Gibson, Tony Snell and Doug McDermott coming off the bench, this team has the offensive and defensive firepower to play with anyone in the NBA right now.

The only real problem with the Bulls rotation lies at the small forward position, as Mike Dunleavy and McDermott don’t seem to be long-term answers right now.

However, Chicago doesn’t have to go make a move for a quality small forward, as the answer is already on the roster.

Who you ask? Nikola Mirotic.

I’ve written before about Mirotic and how he could be a key piece for the Bulls down the stretch. From when he was playing his basketball with Real Madrid, I have always admired Mirotic for his versatility and skill level at the power forward position.

But the real question should be, is Mirotic truly a power forward, or does he have the talent to float around and play different positions for a long amount of time, not just in a pinch?

While Mirotic may have the size and length of a power forward, I truly do not think he is a four for this Bulls team.

The way Mirotic plays is actually much more like that of a small forward because of how he gets his baskets on offense.

As surprising as it may be because of his true size, Mirotic does not play out of the post a great deal. Does he have the ability to back his man down and use a move closer to the basket to score? Yes he does, because he has proved that he can both in Europe and here in the NBA. However, Mirotic is much more comfortable playing out on the perimeter.

Mirotic loves to look for the three-point shot when he can get it, something that the Bulls consistently need in order to get the most out of their offense. Rose is great at being a drive-and-kick point guard, and Mirotic may be one of the best spot-up options Chicago has on its roster.

On the season, Mirotic is shooting 38 percent from beyond the arc, which speaks to the fact that he is certainly a respectable shooter from distance.

Mirotic also loves to get out in transition and run in the fast break for easy scores or pull-up shot opportunities. There aren’t many players on the Bulls that hustle on the break more consistently than Mirotic. He recognizes situations in which he can get easy buckets and he takes full advantage time and time again.

In the half-court, Mirotic does more than spot-up for a jump shot, as he likes to consistently cut to the basket and mix it up inside. Mirotic isn’t afraid of contact and looks for it so he can get to the free throw line. His 78.4 percent from the charity stripe is all the more reason why he should look for those shots more often.

Typical big men like to play inside and operate in the post, but rarely do they look to cut to the basket and run as much as Mirotic does. His athleticism needs to be taken better advantage of, and when coupled with his overall size, he could be a true mismatch on the wing for a lot of different defenders.

Because he is so quick with his hands and feet, Mirotic is also fully capable of guarding small forwards for long periods of time. His toughness combined with his willingness to take on his man regardless of who he is means that he will never be afraid to go up against some of the best forwards in the game like LeBron James or Kevin Durant.

What he can do on defense is what’s going to ultimately get him the starting nod from head coach Tom Thibodeau, as his track record has always said that he is going to think about defense first.

Because he is so versatile in how he scores the ball and has proven that he can play defense all over the floor, Mirotic deserves serious minutes at the small forward and should be in that role as a starter by season’s end. Mirotic is too gifted of a player to be wasted away on the bench for over half the game.

If the Bulls want to seriously contend in the Eastern Conference, then there is no reason why they should play arguably the best rookie forward in the league right now. He may not have the NBA experience, but he definitely has the professional experience, and knows how to handle himself in high-pressure situations.

Embrace versatility, Chicago. Give Mirotic a chance, and I’m sure he will go above and beyond the expectations set for him.

*Statistics courtesy of Basketball-Reference.
Next: 50 Greatest NBA Players Of The 1970s

niko is a great player but with the way the bulls roster is set up he will not be starting next year barring injuries. noah and pau will start and niko will be first off the bench(assuming taj is traded this offseason). niko can play some 3 every once in a while, but he will not start at the 3(especially as long as thibs is coach, which some on here seem to want him gone anyways). niko cannot defend most starting 3's in this league and that's just a fact...not a knock on him since he is a 6'10ish power forward you cannot expect him to guard starting small forwards in the NBA on any sort of a regular basis

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
niko is a great player but with the way the bulls roster is set up he will not be starting next year barring injuries. noah and pau will start and niko will be first off the bench(assuming taj is traded this offseason). niko can play some 3 every once in a while, but he will not start at the 3(especially as long as thibs is coach, which some on here seem to want him gone anyways). niko cannot defend most starting 3's in this league and that's just a fact...not a knock on him since he is a 6'10ish power forward you cannot expect him to guard starting small forwards in the NBA on any sort of a regular basis
You could always just treat him like Peja or Hedo where you stick him at the 3 anyway and don't give any care in the world that he can't guard anyone lol

knoxville7

CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
You could always just treat him like Peja or Hedo where you stick him at the 3 anyway and don't give any care in the world that he can't guard anyone lol

haha exactly! since they won so many titles and all :troll:

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
haha exactly! since they won so many titles and all :troll:
Passionate Kings fans will argue that they were robbed of a chance. The Magic...well they did have a chance but they couldn't shoot enough 3s to outscore the other team or something.

knoxville7

CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
Passionate Kings fans will argue that they were robbed of a chance. The Magic...well they did have a chance but they couldn't shoot enough 3s to outscore the other team or something.

those kings teams were great for sure. and the magic couldn't play enough, oh yeah, defense to win lol

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
those kings teams were great for sure. and the magic couldn't play enough, oh yeah, defense to win lol
It's the SVG logic man. No defense and all 3s is the key to victory!

knoxville7

CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
Funny enough he's been the one out of a coaching job for longer

yeah, its not a "fun" style to watch. hes more old school like thibs, would rather play defense and rebound and worry about the shots going in later. kind of figure eventually your shots will start to fall

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
yeah, its not a "fun" style to watch. hes more old school like thibs, would rather play defense and rebound and worry about the shots going in later. kind of figure eventually your shots will start to fall
Well...yes, but not really lol. Finding the balance is tough. Two way players are really the key to any successful team. If you have a couple of two way studs, couple 3&D guys, a rebounder/defender, and an offensive minded 6th man, you're probably in a good place for any system to be successful. Problem is, it's hard to get all those pieces and even then, it doesn't always work perfectly (see the Clippers)

knoxville7

CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
Well...yes, but not really lol. Finding the balance is tough. Two way players are really the key to any successful team. If you have a couple of two way studs, couple 3&D guys, a rebounder/defender, and an offensive minded 6th man, you're probably in a good place for any system to be successful. Problem is, it's hard to get all those pieces and even then, it doesn't always work perfectly (see the Clippers)

exactly, if you have all those pieces then it probably doesn't matter if your coach is JVG or SVG lol

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
exactly, if you have all those pieces then it probably doesn't matter if your coach is JVG or SVG lol
It's kinda funny thinking about how those 90s Bull teams didn't really fit that archetype, but perhaps that's more of a recent trend. Of course, having a tandem like Jordan and Pippen, you can break some of the "rules" I'd imagine.

knoxville7

CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
It's kinda funny thinking about how those 90s Bull teams didn't really fit that archetype, but perhaps that's more of a recent trend. Of course, having a tandem like Jordan and Pippen, you can break some of the "rules" I'd imagine.

yeah, and the 90's was a different style of ball than today too. but for sure when you got Jordan and pip, they break the mold

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

Good post but I am talking about what Mirotic will do offensively which is totally dominate at the three instead of trying to bang with the mooses at the four. Yeah he will suffer defensively trying to guard the smaller threes in a lot of cases but so what. He won't guard those kind of guys, Butler will. Butler on defense will match up with the best opposing SF or SG. Mirotic will be more or less free lancing or poaching the passing lanes like Bird or the other bigger slower SFs did.

But as it also applies to defense, I don't want Mirotic guarding fours getting the crap pounded by them. I don't want him bulking up to handle the pounding that centers and PFs will dish out to him. I'd rather see him improve on his quickness and ball handling and help defense where he can totally dismantle the smaller guys that try to guard him.