Prospect Buzz

Smokey Robinson

Liked Posts:
Figured I would post the prospect buzz around the web on here as FA has hit a lull.

Some RB news

Todd Gurley - RB - Bulldogs
Georgia RB Todd Gurley has not planned any private workouts close to the draft, according to Online Athens's Marc Weiszer.
"Gurley said he’s not planned any private workouts close to the draft. He continues to rehab in Pensacola, Fla. He said the plan is for him to be ready by late July for minicamp," Weiszer wrote. In April, the Georgia prospect plans to return to Indianapolis for a medical recheck with NFL team doctors. The 6-foot-1, 236-pound Gurley should hear his name called in the first round of the draft.

Duke Johnson - RB - Hurricanes
NFL Media analyst Bucky Brooks notes that scouts have "raved about" Miami RB Duke Johnson's "footwork, quickness and creativity."
"The scouts also touted Miami RB Duke Johnson as a playmaker. They raved about his footwork, quickness and creativity. Impressed with IQ, too," Brooks tweeted. The 5-foot-9, 194-pound Johnson possesses a ton of explosiveness, which should translate well to the next level. However, the Miami prospect will have to continue to improve in pass-protection, in order to see valuable time on the field. NFL teams looking for a back with game-changing ability in the open field, will look to grab him on day 2 of the draft.

T.J. Yeldon - RB - Crimson Tide
NFL Media analyst Bucky Brooks notes that several scouts/directors believe Alabama RB T.J. Yeldon is the "undervalued" RB in this years' class.
The 6-foot-2, 221-pound Yeldon has quietly lead Alabama in rushing for the second season in a row, and has also been a weapon on third-down in the passing game. Whether catching passes or providing sound pass-protection, Yeldon already has a leg up on some of his competition,with ability to block. Brooks added in another tweet, that multiple evaluators compared Yeldon's "playing style" (skills and traits) to "Pro Bowl RB Le'Veon Bell."

T.J. Yeldon - RB - Crimson Tide
There is a "bit of buzz" Alabama's T.J. Yeldon could be the second RB selected in the 2015 draft, according to Josh Norris.
Melvin Gordon is often linked in the same tier as Todd Gurley, but we have consistently said the latter is in a class of his own. Gordon will likely be viewed in the same group as Yeldon, Jay Ajayi, Ameer Abdullah and others. Yeldon is a one gear runner but consistently falls forward, is smooth and flashes explosion when the goal line is in sight.

Jay Ajayi - RB - Broncos
NFL Films' Greg Cosell said he might rank Boise State RB Jay Ajayi as a top-three running back in the class.
"I didn't know very much about him before I watched him," Cosell said of diving into Ajayi's tape. "He's got loose hips, quick feet. He's an easy accelerator. I think he's got the feet and agility of a smaller back. I like him an awful lot. He's not the exact same runner, but his build is very similar to Marshawn Lynch." Cosell hasn't completed his RB rankings, but we already know Todd Gurley will be No. 1. It's possible T.J. Yeldon, one of the analyst's favorites, will be No. 2. Cosell would consider taking Ajayi ahead of Melvin Gordon if he were running a team targeting a "foundation" back. Ajayi is ticketed for Round 2.

Smokey Robinson

Liked Posts:
Some QB news

Marcus Mariota - QB - Ducks
Chargers beat writer Kevin Acee writes there is speculation that San Diego is "serious about acquiring Oregon QB Marcus Mariota."
The speculation comes from "numerous people in and around the league," writes Acee. It was previously reported the Chargers would put Mariota through a private workout, and the team stood out among other, more likely, destinations. Mariota has been linked with the Bucs, Titans, Jets, Browns and Rams, but since Rivers' contract ends after 2015 we think the Chargers could real contenders with a trade up possible.

Marcus Mariota - QB - Ducks
According to Charles Robinson, "nobody (is) buying" that the Redskins would select Oregon QB Marcus Mariota with pick No. 5.
The "belief is Skins are trying to stimulate a trade ahead of 5, pushing another player down," Robinson tweeted. A previous report stated the Redkins would take Mariota if he was there at No. 5. Games are played via the media every year during draft season. We are all guessing right now where Mariota lands during the draft.

Bryce Petty - QB - Bears
Baylor QB Bryce Petty "might be the most natural thrower of the football in this entire draft," according to Mike Mayock.
"I really think he's got starter physical traits," Mayock said, adding Petty is not NFL ready. This issue with Petty is when something broke down in Baylor's offense, meaning pressure or throwing to covered receivers, he broke down. Baylor is so good at creating one on one matchups, but succeeding outside of structure absolutely was not something Petty showed in 2014.

Bryce Petty - QB - Bears
Bills HC Rex Ryan put Baylor QB Bryce Petty through a workout in Waco last week, according to Gil Brandt.
We gets this weird and terrible feeling Petty will be drafted early than we and most expect, potentially the second round. There are some nice moments with Petty, but when things broke down in terms of pressure or when throwing to covered receivers off an initial look, he did not respond well. The Bills should not be confident in the future of any of the QBs on their roster, so we approve of Rex working out passers.

Smokey Robinson

Liked Posts:
Some ILB news

Eric Kendricks - LB - Bruins
UCLA LB Eric Kendricks models his game after 49ers' LB Patrick Willis.
"I watched a lot of Patrick Willis film in college," he said. "My sophomore year when I took on the middle linebacker position and I needed help in certain areas, I would kind of throw his film on and watch a (few) cut-ups and see how he pursued the ball. I think it's awesome how he plays the game. I try to emulate him to a certain extent, but also use my own style." NFL Media believes he'd be a fine replacement for the retired Willis. "Kendricks' best fit might be as a WILL linebacker in a 4-3, but he could be an ILB in a 3-4, though he likely would need to add weight. He has good football instincts, and runs well sideline to sideline," College Football 24/7 writer Mike Huguenin wrote. Kendricks (6-foot 1/8, 235) posted a 4.61 40-yard dash, 38-inch vertical and 10-feet-4 broad jump at the combine.

Taiwan Jones - LB - Spartans
TFY Draft Insider Tony Pauline reports that Michigan State senior ILB Taiwan Jones ran "a mid to low 4.7's forty" at his pro-day.
The 6-foot-2, 250-pound Jones ran a unimpressive 4.95 forty at the combine back in February, and could have just helped his draft stock with his pro-day performance. The Michigan State prospect has the ideal size,toughness, and make up for the position, but gets knocked for his ability to hold his own in pass coverage. In January, Pauline gave the interior run defender a preseason Round 3 grade.

Stephone Anthony - LB - Tigers
Clemson LB Stephone Anthony will be an appealing option the 49ers in the draft following the retirements of Patrick Willis and Chris Borland, observes NFL Media.
The 49ers have "taken a close look" at him, the Sacramento (Calif.) Bee reported recently. "Anthony (6-foot-2 5/8, 243 pounds) seemingly has rocketed up draft boards since the end of the season, to the point where he could be the first true inside linebacker selected," noted College Football 24/7 writer Mike Huguenin. Anthony was benched in 2012, but rededicated himself and is now on the precipice of a Day 2 call. "He got refocused," Clemson coach Dabo Swinney told the Anderson (S.C.) Independent Mail. "He's as good a person, player, committed guy as I've been around."

Benardrick McKinney - LB - Bulldogs
Mississippi State ILB Benardrick McKinney is visiting the 49ers, Cowboys, Broncos and Texans, per TFY Draft Insider Tony Pauline.
The 6-foot-4, 245-pound McKinney was quite productive in his time at Mississippi State. McKinney recorded 243 total tackles, 7.5 sacks, eight passes defensed, and one forced fumble during his college career. The Mississippi State prospect has the ideal size and length for the position at the next level, but gets knocked for being a possible liability in the passing game. McKinney shows a nose for the football and possess good speed and athleticism for his size. To improve his stock, McKinney will have to prove to evaluators that he's more than just a two-down thumper.

Smokey Robinson

Liked Posts:
OLBS

Eli Harold - DL - Cavaliers
Scouts Inc.'s Todd McShay noted Virginia EDGE rusher Eli Harold "keeps growing" on him.
"He's got a chance to be one of the best edge rushers in this class when it's all said and done," McShay writes. The longtime evaluator adds Harold is still "developing" into his long build, saying he flashes converting speed to power. We think Harold solely wins on his athleticism right now, so counting his athleticism displayed at the Combine again could lead to a sticky situation. We aren't saying McShay is, but Harold has major issues on counter moves and disengaging to create space.

Junior Sylvestre - LB - Rockets
Per TFY Draft Insider's Tony Pauline, Toledo OLB Junior Sylvestre has met with the Philadelphia Eagles, Indianapolis Colts, Kansas City Chiefs, San Francisco 49ers, Chicago Bears and San Diego Chargers.
The Eagles dispatched their LB coach to Sylvestre's pro day workout. At the event, Sylvestre, he hoisted 26 reps on the bench and ran a 4.5 forty. Some stopwatches had him under 4.50. Sylvestre is a thumper graded by CBS as a seventh-round pick. Pauline says he'll be in a camp one way or another.

Shane Ray - DL - Tigers
Missouri EDGE Shane Ray has visits lined up with the Titans, Jaguars, Falcons and Ravens, according to Rand Getlin.
Ray's pro day will be completed soon, and it could have a major impact on his evaluation after missing the Combine. He has a great upfield burst and motor to chase down plays, but teams will be curious to see his change of direction, bend and explosion in terms of converting speed to power.

Alvin Dupree - DL - Wildcats
Kentucky LB Bud Dupree "looked tremendous in position drills" at his pro day workout, noted TFY Draft Insider's Tony Pauline.
"Coupled with his incredible testing at the combine, as well as the pass-rush skills he displayed the past two seasons, I struggle to see how he gets out of the top 15," Pauline wrote. Thus far, Dupree has met with the Pittsburgh Steelers, Philadelphia Eagles, San Francisco 49ers, New Orleans Saints and New York Jets.

Smokey Robinson

Liked Posts:
DL

Malcom Brown - DL - Longhorns
NFLDraftScout.com's Frank Cooney believes Texas DT Malcom Brown "checks all the boxes for teams seeking a durable defensive lineman with experience, maturity and size."
"Give me a position to play in, and I'll play it: 3-4, 4-3, doesn't matter. There's not that big of a difference between nose and end," Brown said. The prospect's versatility is a big selling point to the NFL, though he's ultimately expected to settle in as a 4-3 DT. "Brown lacks the agility to be a constant pass-rush threat, but he creates a no trespassing zone against run anywhere along line," Cooney wrote. "A responsible parent for two daughters, Brown is a big daddy on the field, using his broad, 6-foot-2-plus frame and 320 pounds of muscle as a stout run-stopper."

Malcom Brown - DL - Longhorns
Texas DT Malcom Brown "is an outstanding interior run stuffer whose low center of gravity, mass and strength makes him tough to move off the ball with one man," according to ESPN's Steve Muench.
"He also improved as a hand fighter during his college career, showing the ability to get his hands inside, control blockers and disengage in time to make plays," Muench wrote. "While he's an average pass-rusher, he's quick and strong enough to occasionally provide push up the middle." The analyst believes Brown is best suited as a 4-3 nose tackle, though nodded to Brown's versatility in having lined up all over the line at Texas in a variety of schemes. "If he falls to pick No. 23, the Lions would do well to land him there," Muench wrote. "However, he's the second-ranked defensive tackle on our board, and he may not be available at that point."

Eddie Goldman - DL - Seminoles
FSU DT Eddie Goldman "played up to his five-star rating out of high school, is a scholar on football history and is good enough to become a notable chapter for some NFL team," wrote NFLDraftScout.com's Frank Cooney.
"Goldman is one-man road block when he lines up his broad, 336-pound body on the inside," Cooney wrote. "The experience may have improved his quickness and range. As a tackle, Goldman's powerful legs and lower body allow him to collapse the pocket and prevent quarterbacks from stepping up." Though an ankle injury precluded Goldman from working out at the combine, "his positive personality in interviews was a plus for scouts/coaches concerned about one-game suspension in 2013 for violating team rules," Cooney passed along. Goldman, a 6-foot-4, 336-pound monster, posted 62 tackles (12 for loss) and 6 sacks across two seasons as a starter. "I can give you a little finesse now and again, but for the main part, I'm a tough, hard-nosed type of guy," Goldman said.

Eddie Goldman - DL - Seminoles
FSU DT Eddie Goldman "plays high at times, but he's big and powerful enough to get away with it one-on-one and he flashes the ability to effectively two-gap," according to ESPN's Steve Muench.
"In fact, his inconsistent pad level is a bigger issue when it comes to him rushing the passer, as he gets stood up and stalls out at times," Muench wrote. "However, he has the heavy hands and power to improve his ability to get after quarterbacks. There's also a lot to like about his work ethic on and off the field." Goldman is considered one of the class' premier run stuffers, perhaps the very best. "Goldman is on the taller side for a 3-4 nose tackle and he may be a better fit at 4-3, where he has the foot and hand speed to make an immediate impact," Muench wrote. "However, just like Brown, Goldman could develop into that 3-4 role."

Danny Shelton - DL - Huskies
NFLDraftScout.com's Frank Cooney noted that "every square inch of [Washington DT Danny Shelton's] square body is tough -- his legs, arms and especially those rock-hard and lead-heavy hands."
"Hitch that mass to a great motor and you have a constant terror for offensive linemen," Cooney wrote. "Shelton has toughness that will hold up in the NFL, which he proved on the field and in how he coped with tragedy as a high school senior when he saw two older brothers shot to death." Shelton posted a tremendous 9.5 sacks and 89 tackles last season, though he projects as more immovable interior object than havoc wreaker at the next level. When asked what he needed to improve moving into the pros, Shelton said: "Probably my get-off, attacking aggressively upfield."

Carl Davis - DL - Hawkeyes
Iowa DT Carl Davis "is the most intriguing prospect ... in the draft overall," according to ESPN's Steve Muench.
"He's a tough matchup for any interior offensive lineman when he's firing off the ball and playing with purpose," Muench wrote. "The problem is he doesn't always play with the same kind of fire, raising concerns about his ability to realize his considerable upside." The 6-foot-5, 313-pound Davis had only 3.5 career sacks at Iowa and finished with only 34 tackles and two sacks last year. "Davis flashes the ability to shoot his hands inside and control blockers, plus he has the length to press blockers off his frame, but he's inconsistent in this area and he has a high center of gravity," Muench wrote. "As a result, he's not a great fit at nose tackle for a 3-4 scheme that asks its nose tackle to two-gap on early downs, like the one Baltimore ran when Teryl Austin coached there. He's a better fit at defensive end in that kind of scheme, but he's certainly got the natural ability to push for a starting role on the inside in a base four-man front."

Arik Armstead - DL - Ducks
Oregon DL Arik Armstead "already excels against the run, is improving as a pass rusher and opinions are divided whether he projects as a tackle or end," noted NFLDraftScout.com's Frank Cooney.
"Focused, fearless and sometimes violent, Armstead and his freakish dimensions should cause offenses trouble on some NFL team's defensive line," Cooney wrote. Armstead had a so-so combine, logging a 5.10-second 40-yard dash, 24 bench reps, a 34-inch vertical jump, a 9-foot-9 broad jump and a 4.53-second short shuttle. Armstead, NFL Media analyst Daniel Jeremiah's No. 13 prospect, has drawn comparisons to Dion Jordan and Ziggy Ansah.

PolarBear

Liked Posts:
I think the Jags will take Ray, perfect Leo linebacker for Bradley. Titans spent money on edge rushers in FA.

Enasic

Who are the brain police?
Liked Posts:
I love Yeldon. I have him 3rd after Gurley and Gordon. I wouldn't be surprised if he ended up being a better pro than Gordon either.

Liked Posts:
I love Yeldon. I have him 3rd after Gurley and Gordon. I wouldn't be surprised if he ended up being a better pro than Gordon either.

I like Yeldon as well, but have him 4th. I love me some Tevin Coleman- I think the McFadden comparisons are bunk. If TC puts on 10 lbs of muscle, he's more Demarco Murray. I wouldn't be surprised if we took him in round 2 (preferably trading back a bit in round 2 to snag him and pick up a mid round pick in the process).

Enasic

Who are the brain police?
Liked Posts:
I like Yeldon as well, but have him 4th. I love me some Tevin Coleman- I think the McFadden comparisons are bunk. If TC puts on 10 lbs of muscle, he's more Demarco Murray. I wouldn't be surprised if we took him in round 2 (preferably trading back a bit in round 2 to snag him and pick up a mid round pick in the process).

Fair enough, man. Can't knock ya for that. Coleman is a good prospect and could certainly flourish in the NFL...I just prefer Yeldon a little more. Wouldn't surprise me if Coleman ended up being the better pro either. I just love the shiftiness of Yeldon. He makes guys miss and sets up his runs very well.

Liked Posts:
Fair enough, man. Can't knock ya for that. Coleman is a good prospect and could certainly flourish in the NFL...I just prefer Yeldon a little more. Wouldn't surprise me if Coleman ended up being the better pro either. I just love the shiftiness of Yeldon. He makes guys miss and sets up his runs very well.

I wouldn't complain if we nabbed Yeldon, seems a fairly complete back. Also, I have a feeling TC is going to crush his pro day and draw an earlier selection- Yeldon could probably be had with our pick in round 3.

Smokey Robinson

Liked Posts:
Bryce Petty - QB - Bears
Baylor QB Bryce Petty "is like Jimmy Garappolo was last year, in terms of ability, not playing style," according to Gil Brandt.
The 6-foot-3, 228-pound Petty had an impressive pro day on Wednesday and showed off his strong sharp arm, completing 69 of 77 passes on the day. The Baylor prospect has put up some solid numbers in his time at Waco, passing for 8,055 yards and 61 touchdowns the last two seasons. However, Petty will have to prove to teams and evaluators that he's able to transition his game to the next level. ESPN's Mel Kiper and NFL Network's Mike Mayock now have Petty as their third-ranked QB in the draft. Petty could be a possible target to be had, in the second or third round of the draft.